Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bicycle parts in the 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bkrantz
Here's the recent replacement I got for the thermostat cable.
bkrantz
Which looks suspiciously like bike shifter cables.
mepstein
Yep. It's what I've recommended for years. A dollar or two at your local bike shop vs $10-15 + ship.
wonkipop
i pray.gif this website.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 3 2021, 07:53 PM) *

Yep. It's what I've recommended for years. A dollar or two at your local bike shop vs $10-15 + ship.

I think they're more like five or six dollars now, and everyone was out of them for a bit, because Covid. You can also finish it off nicely with a derailleur cable crimp. The only drawback to using them is you get twice as much cable for half the money so you need to cut it to fit (after it's installed, just cut off the extra). But use a cutting tool that surrounds the cable NOT diagonal cutters. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Zeno-Bicycle-Housing...93462&psc=1 otherwise you will make a mess of the end of the cable. I don't know if the more expensive ones come the right length because I've never bought one.
worn
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Mar 4 2021, 06:22 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 3 2021, 07:53 PM) *

I think they're more like five or six dollars now, and everyone was out of them for a bit, because Covid. You can also finish it off nicely with a derailleur cable crimp. The only drawback to using them is you get twice as much cable for half the money so you need to cut it to fit (after it's installed, just cut off the extra). But use a cutting tool that surrounds the cable NOT diagonal cutters. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Zeno-Bicycle-Housing...93462&psc=1 otherwise you will make a mess of the end of the cable. I don't know if the more expensive ones come the right length because I've never bought one.

I cut cables with oxy acetylene. Leaves a neat end that won’t unravel.
worn
Another bicycle part. the quick release cam nut that holds the wheel in place. I have slotted the engine cover holes so that I can pull the lid easily by myself. And no 10 mm wrench any more - I use the bike cam nuts adjust and lock.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.