Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stainless steel/muffler cleaner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
second wind
So my '73 2.0 has a few oil leaks....none make it to the ground but when I look under the car not so clean. I have SS heat exchangers and a Dansk muffler that looks like chrome when I polish it up. After one good drive the bottom of the muffler has dried oil on it. I am not sure what kind of metal the muffler is made of but over cleaner turns it a milky white. Steel wool and elbow grease works fine but takes hours. Anyone have a quicker way to do the job? Thank you very much.
gg
wes
popcorn[1].gif I’ve been wondering the same thing. In the beginning I kept my polished stainless muffler all pretty but it’s a constant chore no oil just from the heat. Now I’ve just let it turn kinda yellowish brown!
infraredcalvin
Anyone ever try barkeepers friend? Might be to harsh on super polished finish.???
second wind
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Mar 4 2021, 12:49 PM) *

Anyone ever try barkeepers friend? Might be to harsh on super polished finish.???

There has to be some liquid magic that loves petroleum based products that will just wipe it off....the question is what is it??
gg
tailwind22
I had baked on oil stains on my jet coated header. I tried a multitude of liquid treatments and finally was told to use very fine steel wool followed by a metal polish. Worked like a charm.
second wind
QUOTE(tailwind22 @ Mar 4 2021, 02:01 PM) *

I had baked on oil stains on my jet coated header. I tried a multitude of liquid treatments and finally was told to use very fine steel wool followed by a metal polish. Worked like a charm.

That is what I have been doing and it works great....just takes a long time and my arms get real tired.....must be something that eats the oil off of anything? You would think gas would do it but it doesn't.....
gg
Superhawk996
Try on small spot 1st. I'd be inclined to try oven cleaner and fine steel wool.

Cairo94507
I have used a regular metal polish/cream on a non-scratch kitchen Scotch pad to keep my muffler and heat exchangers nice. Takes a bit of elbow grease, but not that tough. I put my car up on the lift and raise it enough for me to lay comfortable and reach to do the work. beerchug.gif
jim_hoyland
I used Lime-Away and was pretty satisfied... smile.gif
mepstein
I’m ok with the way it darkens to bronze.
Cairo94507
Yeah, I would be too. But at present I do have a very minor transaxle drip, maybe 1 drop overnight. If I go on a long, several hour drive I will get that drip to blow back on the muffler. Then it looks messy- beerchug.gif
Olympic 914
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Mar 4 2021, 03:49 PM) *

Should not be a problem, used it on my SS heat exchangers.

And regularly use it on the All-Clad stainless cookware. Bon-ami works also, Comet would be too abrasive.
914_teener
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 4 2021, 05:06 PM) *

I used Lime-Away and was pretty satisfied... smile.gif

Lime Away with a electric DC current will return the passive surface to clear again. There are ss deoxidizer kits available online.

The process which turns it brown is actually oxidation. Oxidation is an electrical process.

The passive coating on stainless is affected by heat....won't go into that.

Have fun polishing your muff...

https://www.instructables.com/DIY-Stainless...ectropolishing/
second wind
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 5 2021, 04:57 AM) *

Yeah, I would be too. But at present I do have a very minor transaxle drip, maybe 1 drop overnight. If I go on a long, several hour drive I will get that drip to blow back on the muffler. Then it looks messy- beerchug.gif

That's what I am talking about....looks messy and needs to be cleaned up...there has to be some crazy magic potion.....let's keep looking...
gg
Literati914
Would an Orange hand soap be effective?... like GoJo, or others that are basically the same but with varying amounts of grit.

second wind
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Mar 5 2021, 01:08 PM) *

Would an Orange hand soap be effective?... like GoJo, or others that are basically the same but with varying amounts of grit.

I like that one......or maybe the white greasy hand cleaner that is so soft...I have both and will report back....thank you,
gg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.