Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to re-install the engine and trunk lids
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Speedo
I'm going to be needing to do this to my six shortly...but this weekend we are putting my son's 72 back together after paint. I remember being challenged to remove the springs for the engine lid. Is there a simple link that explains how these go back together? Is it better to install the rear glass first? How many arms are needed? Steps?
Dave_Darling
The engine lid springs should be part of the engine lid, unless you disassembled the lid after you took it off the car. If you did that, re-assemble it and then bolt it up to the car.

Two ways you can deal with the rear lid. Either hook the torsion bars onto the rollers first, then bolt up the lid to the hinges, or bolt the lid on and then hook the torsion bars over the rollers.

I very very strongly do not recommend putting any part of your body above the hinge when putting the torsion bar onto the roller for that hinge! (Don't ask how I know that's a Very Bad Idea.)

It's possible to do it by yourself, the lids are very unweildy and it's a lot easier to maneuver them around if you have a second person to help. You're a lot less likely to scratch everything to h**l if you have a helper, as well as putting towels or cargo pads down on the body work.

--DD
Speedo
The engine lid springs should be part of the engine lid, unless you disassembled the lid after you took it off the car. If you did that, re-assemble it and then bolt it up to the car.

We dis-assembled the springs from the lid for paint. So we should re-assemble the springs to the lid, then the lid to the chassis? This is the one that has me worried. There will be two of us so four arms.
Speedo
Can someone please post a pic of the engine lid raised on the car so we can see the spring orientation?
Luke M
Lars, I sent you some pics via text. Let me know if you need more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.