Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wafers - Tumblers - Springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Niklas
Who sells tumblers ( Wafers ) and springs now?

Niklas
914Sixer
914Rubber was going to make them but not sure IF i ever happened.
ConeDodger
@mikey914
bdstone914
QUOTE(Niklas @ Mar 7 2021, 03:49 AM) *

Niklas

I have lots of used tumblers with wafers and springs. Some sells repros them new as a VW part.
pete000
Do a search on the Samba for Gabriel Locks, he rebuilds VW locks.
iankarr
Also Curt Curtis on FB
Mikey914
Yes these are on the list. I have not seen new. The problem is that if they are used they can be worn unevenly.

You may have to go through a few to match your ignition key to the door.

Are new available now and how much are they?
bbrock
I bought new wafers and springs from member @tweet a few years ago but he hasn't been active here for a couple years. He was getting new wafers from someplace though so they must be available.
bdstone914
I found these.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324458702771?chn=p...ASABEgIvhfD_BwE
bdstone914

@Niklas

This looks like the source

https://www.easykeys.com/1831_ESP_Cam_Lock_...RK-30-0000.aspx
willieg
I have had good response from keys4classics.com. They are an Aussie company.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 7 2021, 10:08 AM) *

Yes these are on the list. I have not seen new. The problem is that if they are used they can be worn unevenly.

Not that much. Maybe buy the 400 kit and repack.

@Mikey914
TheCabinetmaker
Those are not the same. They are made for cam style locks. They are not the same size. I've checked all those vendors and they state that they will not fit automotive locks.
Mikey914
I'm totally down with buying in bulk and reselling in bit size pieces to make stuff reasonable. Just gotta do my homework to make sure its correct.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 7 2021, 05:31 PM) *

I'm totally down with buying in bulk and reselling in bit size pieces to make stuff reasonable. Just gotta do my homework to make sure its correct.

I hope you can find them. I've had two porsche parts professionals looking for a source with no luck.
Mikey914
Which is why we were looking to make them.
The tooling is not cheap.

JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(willieg @ Mar 7 2021, 09:07 AM) *

I have had good response from keys4classics.com. They are an Aussie company.

Their website says they only do keys, not locks
914Sixer
Lets be clear, VW wafers and 914/911 wafers are COMPLETELY different thickness. Not interchangeable.
TheCabinetmaker
Mark nailed it. Vw wafers will NOT fit!
Niklas
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 7 2021, 06:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 7 2021, 10:08 AM) *

Not that much. Maybe buy the 400 kit and repack.

@Mikey914

It says that these does not fit car locks.

Niklas
Root_Werks
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 7 2021, 08:44 AM) *

@Niklas

I bought this kit, worked great. Now I have a hundred extra wafflers and springs.
914Sixer
IF this is a correct set, it is the answer to everything.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 9 2021, 12:46 PM) *

@Niklas

I bought this kit, worked great. Now I have a hundred extra wafflers and springs.

I would be happy to take your leftovers.
mepstein
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 9 2021, 01:46 PM) *

@Niklas

Thank you for posting. I have looked in the past but never was able to find a kit. Tweet used to charge the same amount for about 20 wafers and springs.

Edit - I just ordered. Super easy and fast.
Root_Werks
I'll have to check the kit I bought. Worked on doors and rear lock perfect. Even wrote down which wafer went where so I have a good key code.
frostyf
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 10 2021, 10:58 AM) *

I'll have to check the kit I bought. Worked on doors and rear lock perfect. Even wrote down which wafer went where so I have a good key code.

Hey Rootwerks, is this the solution? Despite the comments about not fitting car locks, did these wafers work in yr locks??

I tried some 924 wafers but they must be like the VW ones as they were too thick and too large! Keen to find a source that works!
mepstein
I just got mine today. I’ll try them in some lock cores shortly. But I got to believe that if Root says they work, they work.
eric9144
Very curious to see the outcome on this, have literally just gotten all the odds and ends pieces to pull apart both of my doors and pull F/R trunk and Passenger tumblers out to match them to the ignition and drivers door key. Didn't want the car pulled apart for too long while the locks were being re-keyed and didn't want to have to do it 2x
popcorn[1].gif
TheCabinetmaker
I too ordered the set from easy key. They are not the same. They do fit the cylinder, but the length overall, and the height of the key slot are smaller. I've already tried to key a cylinder with them. The key slot being smaller makes it difficult or even impossible to insert the key, depending on the cut of the key. They do slide into the cylinders, but that's about it. All in all, not a viable solution for me.
Root_Werks
That looks like the same kit I bought. I'll check when I get home tonight. I did doors and rear lock. They fit perfect. BUT, gotta double check the kit.

Dunno about ignition.
gord
Subscribing to this thread because I need to rekey 3 of my locks in the near future. I did find the ASP kit (A-26-101), but it seems impossible to purchase unless you are a licensed locksmith.

@mepstein - please let us know how this kit works out for you!

Gord
Root_Werks
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 15 2021, 11:59 AM) *

I just got mine today. I’ll try them in some lock cores shortly. But I got to believe that if Root says they work, they work.

Yup, that's the ESP kit I have. The wafers worked and I didn't need any springs so don't know if those worked.

Again, this was just on doors and rear lock. Haven't tried them on glove box or front trunk handle yet.
TheCabinetmaker
Here's a comparison between the two. You can clearly see the difference. The key slot is different. The length is different. There is a small tit on one side of the esp wafers. They might work with a particular key, but they will not work with all keys. I've tried to mock up with 3 different keys in 3 different cylinders. All were failures. I fear there will be trouble with them down the road. I will not be using these on locks for my customers. I just can't guarantee them.Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
The esp wafers are also not as wide, and quite sloppy side to side. This could easily hang up in the cylinder.

The springs work just fine.
Root_Werks
Will admit I didn't notice the thickness difference between the wafers.

So it seems the ESP kit isn't truly a perfect replacement for proper wafers. I'm happy with how my locks operate though. The key is pretty smooth and at least the ESP kit allowed me to get all my locks to match.

Years ago I had tons of 914/911 keys and lock parts including wafers. Shoulda kept them!
TheCabinetmaker
That's why l have saved every lock l can. Still, l run low on #4 wafers. For me, the springs alone are almost worth the cost.
Dobbsy
I am still waiting for mine to arrive, I will deffinately need the springs, shame about the wafers.
On the topic of keys, which key would a 914-6 have been sold with, the only key I was given is the Porsche Audi one. Should I have the black and red ones.

Click to view attachment

If its the black and red ones, for the valet key which wafer indentation should be missing or was it random.

If its the Porsche Audi key what did they do for the valet key
TheCabinetmaker
All 914s and early 911s came with a master and valet key, as far as l know. The valet wafer replaces the #3 wafer. Some wafers aren't marked. The#3 will measure approximately 0.169 from bottom of slot to bottom of wafer.
PCH
I agree with Root Werks. I used the ESP kit wafers to help me key all my locks to the ignition lock. Worked out fine. Amazing how many locks a 914 has!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.