Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Stalling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JLSmith550
Hey there. My long time dream of owning a 914 has become more of a nightmare... Picked up a carbed '74 2.0 and have had multiple issues. Been to two mechanics and they both get it running fine then as soon as I touch the car it goes sideways, I don't think it likes me.

My issue now is with the car stalling. Basically the car will start idle rough then die. It might run for a bit and I can get it moving but eventually it will start to die as soon as I clutch in.

Based on a lot of reading here I think it might be ignition related. The barrel where the key goes in is loose and will push inwards when you put the key in. The car starts but I read that these ignition problems can cause stalling.

Any ideas on how much of the ignition I'm going to need to replace? Should I take the entire thing out and swap out for a replacement? From what I understand a NOS can be very pricey/hard to find. Any help would be appreciated.
Spoke
QUOTE(JLSmith550 @ Mar 7 2021, 11:53 AM) *

Hey there. My long time dream of owning a 914 has become more of a nightmare... Picked up a carbed '74 2.0 and have had multiple issues. Been to two mechanics and they both get it running fine then as soon as I touch the car it goes sideways, I don't think it likes me.

My issue now is with the car stalling. Basically the car will start idle rough then die. It might run for a bit and I can get it moving but eventually it will start to die as soon as I clutch in.

Based on a lot of reading here I think it might be ignition related. The barrel where the key goes in is loose and will push inwards when you put the key in. The car starts but I read that these ignition problems can cause stalling.

Any ideas on how much of the ignition I'm going to need to replace? Should I take the entire thing out and swap out for a replacement? From what I understand a NOS can be very pricey/hard to find. Any help would be appreciated.

welcome.png

Until you've determined that the issue is the ignition switch, I wouldn't touch it...yet. If you think it's the ignition switch then put your voltmeter on the + terminal on the coil and see if you have 12V while running.

Not sure what your mechanics have done but it sounds like you may need a tune up if the 12V on the coil is stable. Carbs can be tuned to run very well.
flipb
QUOTE(JLSmith550 @ Mar 7 2021, 11:53 AM) *

My carbed 2056 won't hold idle til it's warmed up a bit, especially in colder weather. If you keep a light touch on the throttle to maintain idle for the first five minutes of driving, does it smooth out after that?

r_towle
Find your fuel pump, connect a 12vdc wire to that
Find you ignition coil, connect a 12vdc wire to that
Start car
If it remain on, and idles, it’s your ignition switch
If it stalls, it’s the carb

You have not mentioned what type of carb setup you have, that will help us to properly advise you.
JLSmith550
Until you've determined that the issue is the ignition switch, I wouldn't touch it...yet. If you think it's the ignition switch then put your voltmeter on the + terminal on the coil and see if you have 12V while running.

Not sure what your mechanics have done but it sounds like you may need a tune up if the 12V on the coil is stable. Carbs can be tuned to run very well.

Mechanic I got it back from Friday did a carb tune up and plugs/wires. He's an old aircooled guy so he knows his stuff. I'll check the coil. I replaced the battery (it was old anyway)

My carbed 2056 won't hold idle til it's warmed up a bit, especially in colder weather. If you keep a light touch on the throttle to maintain idle for the first five minutes of driving, does it smooth out after that?

Thats what both guys told me too. Yesterday I held it at idle and even drove it about 5 miles. Still kept stalling after it was warm. Confuses me because the mechanic had it running for just a few minutes I drove it 50 + miles home. Then bam next day it run like poo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.