Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best way to ship a 915 transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gearup
I have shipped the 901 but never a 915. Obviously heavier and bulkier. It needs to be able to survive a lengthy ship. All input and/or suggestions appreciated. Thanks mucho muchachos!
r_towle
I did a plywood box once, made it more costly, box was not treated nicely, it got busted.
Second one a wrapped with clear plastic wrap, tied to a pallet
Arrived perfect shape...because you cannot stack things on it.
Luke M
Do yourself a favor and build a wood crate. I purchased a 915 trans and it was shipped to PMS in AZ on an open pallet with a few straps holding it down. The pallet was destroyed during transport and trans was flopping around. The pics PMS sent me when they received the trans did not look good at all. I got lucky and no damage to the trans. When PMS sent my 915 back to me, it came in a wood crate strapped down nicely. Make sure the shipper doesn't stack on top of it too.
Look at the pic. What you don't see is the straps holding it down. Take some 3/8 fuel hose, a few med sized wood screws, some washers to fit the screws and strap it down nice n tight. Run screws through the hose into the wood cross beams on the bottom.
Jgilliam914
I built a box and bolted the 915 down .. use a minimum of 5/8 plywood . I cut handles in it for easier transportation.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Mar 7 2021, 06:55 PM) *

I built a box and bolted the 915 down .. use a minimum of 5/8 plywood . I cut handles in it for easier transportation.

This, it helps a lot and worth it. The shippers don’t care and will just write it off, so pay more and protect.
Beeliner
My friend Elio Mitri rebuilds Porsche engines shipped from all over the country.
They are all in wooden boxes.
E-megatronics.com

If you get a lot of questions, just ask him...
roblav1
I once carried an entire 901 box on an airplane. The empty case went inside checked luggage, and I hand carried the internals inside s canvss bag.
On the topic, a 915 might fit inside a plastic container. Taken somewhat apart, maybe even a large cooler.
larryM
recently shipped a 901 via UPS

- after much advice on this forum, decided to use the open crate originally used to send me a repaired trans by 914Ltd (Brad Mayeur)

- wt 110 lbs, 18x18x27" - cost $150 ( insured for $800) from Sac'to to L.A.

UPS wanted it encased in cardboard & said to pack lots of "stuffing" inside - (the issue can be forklift damaged )

Click to view attachment
Wew
Consider buying Dr. Evils DVD or just send it to him.
He explains everything very well and is easy to follow.
Even if you decide to send it out, you will know much more about how your transmission works.
Money well spent.

Good luck,

Gary
Mark Henry
I build most of my boxes using a small or cut down pallet as the base.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.