Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB - Old Strut brake tabs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Literati914
I need to source a set of the tabs (that hold the brake lines) onto the side of an old set of struts. I was hoping someone has junk struts laying around and could cut them off. I do NOT need the entire strut and shipping is more if I do the cutting. But I’d consider any options too.

I have a set of 911 struts that someone cut the tabs off of to do a coil-over set up to, but then didn’t follow thru. I’m just trying to take them back to original (914 & 911 brake line retaining tabs are the same btw). Anybody got some old junk struts?

914Sixer
There are two different tabs. Early 911/914 up to 72 are the same. 73 up 914 are different because they have the side notched out.
Literati914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 8 2021, 09:39 AM) *

There are two different tabs. Early 911/914 up to 72 are the same. 73 up 914 are different because they have the side notched out.

I'm looking at a set of both pinch struts and wedge struts (from 914s), their tabs both look the same, with the side notch cut-out. Regardless though, I don't actually have a preference as long as they hold the same standard brake line fittings.

bdstone914
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Mar 8 2021, 10:20 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 8 2021, 09:39 AM) *

I'm looking at a set of both pinch struts and wedge struts (from 914s), their tabs both look the same, with the side notch cut-out. Regardless though, I don't actually have a preference as long as they hold the same standard brake line fittings.

They are not the same as Mark pointed out. Early are a round hole and late are a open key hole shape. The hole distance to the strut is different too.
Literati914
@914sixer
@bdstone914

Guys, can you help me figure out which tabs I need to source then?.. my early 914 struts and my late 914 struts which are both unmolested and stock - both have a square tab w/ a round hole and a cut-out slot on the side, and in the same relative placement on the tubes. I can shoot a picture of the two if that helps clear up my misunderstanding.

I have no idea, what the early 911 strut's tabs were like (my 911 struts are 911T, I believe), I just assumed that all the tabs were the same and any could be used. So are you saying that the different tabs necessitate a particular brake line hose?

I also assumed that the 914 brake lines and the early 911 brake lines were the same, I see that I could have definitely been wrong on that one. I mean if someone's normally adding (3") 911 struts for a 5 lug conversion.. which brake lines are they sourcing? I assume there would be no difference in the 911 & 914.

Confused as heck - thanks for any help!!

914Sixer
Here is some of the differences. Early 914/911 use these clips and different hose. Clips are next to the struts they go on, black is 73 911.
Literati914
OK, well of all the struts with the circle/cut-out tabs (whether 911 or 914), do they use the same hose and retainer clips?

914Sixer
Here is a 73 914 Bilstein, it only has one VW clip. It uses a different brake hose and hard line.
Literati914
Thank You Mark! The pictures help a ton..

So.. my two current sets of 914 struts must be Bilstein, according to the side tab , though again, one is pinch bolt and the other is taper pin.

Regardless though, I could use either tabs for my 5-lug car as long as I source the proper clips and hose.

With that said, I'd prefer the Bilstein type Tabs (circle w/side cut-out).
ANYONE GOT ANY?

bdstone914
[quote name='Literati914' date='Mar 8 2021, 02:08 PM' post='2897450']
Thank You Mark! The pictures help a ton..

So.. my two current sets of 914 struts must be Bilstein, according to the side tab , though again, one is pinch bolt and the other is taper pin.

Regardless though, I could use either tabs for my 5-lug car as long as I source the proper clips and hose.

With that said, I'd prefer the Bilstein type Tabs (circle w/side cut-out).
ANYONE GOT ANY?

@Literati914

If i remember correctly the tabs on the body for the other end of the line are the same shape. Might be easier to find them from a parts car.
914Sixer
Welding shop should be able to fab some up.
Literati914
Both of my project cars (5/72 & 6/72) have the following Brake tabs on the inner fenders BUT both cars have the struts w/Bilstein Style tabs (hole w/ a cut out). Will that not be a problem? :
IPB Image
IPB Image

Fosterjoejr
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Mar 8 2021, 07:25 AM) *

I need to source a set of the tabs (that hold the brake lines) onto the side of an old set of struts. I was hoping someone has junk struts laying around and could cut them off. I do NOT need the entire strut and shipping is more if I do the cutting. But I’d consider any options too.

I have a set of 911 struts that someone cut the tabs off of to do a coil-over set up to, but then didn’t follow thru. I’m just trying to take them back to original (914 & 911 brake line retaining tabs are the same btw). Anybody got some old junk struts?

PM sent.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.