Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7L options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wadesbrain
I have a '70 that I'm working on and I'm wondering what I can do with my 1.7?
I dont mind spending some money on the engine. What is a 1.7 capable of becoming?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Wadesbrain @ Mar 8 2021, 03:09 PM) *
What can I do with my 1.7

I was going to add a snarky comment along the lines of "drive it!" since i still fondly remember all the trouble i got myself into with my tired old '70 1.7L.

But if you are really thinking about upgrading the engine, be prepared to go down a rabbit hole of epic proportions that will cost you a fortune and make you wonder why you didn't just drive the snot of of your 1.7L instead.

20 years, 2 engines and a good $70k later i have finally come to the point where i enjoy driving the car instead of trying to constantly improve it.
popcorn[1].gif

JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 8 2021, 03:17 PM) *

...enjoy driving the car instead of trying to constantly improve it.
popcorn[1].gif

A lot of wisdom in that statement. If you want go fast machine, buy one. If you want the driving experience only a 914 can provide, even a 1.7L can be enjoyable.
Wadesbrain
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 8 2021, 06:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Wadesbrain @ Mar 8 2021, 03:09 PM) *
What can I do with my 1.7

I was going to add a snarky comment along the lines of "drive it!" since i still fondly remember all the trouble i got myself into with my tired old '70 1.7L.

But if you are really thinking about upgrading the engine, be prepared to go down a rabbit hole of epic proportions that will cost you a fortune and make you wonder why you didn't just drive the snot of of your 1.7L instead.

20 years, 2 engines and a good $70k later i have finally come to the point where i enjoy driving the car instead of trying to constantly improve it.
popcorn[1].gif

I already have a 2.7 that is going into the car I'm just wondering what to do with the 1.7 other than throwing it 8nto the parts pile. I have other cars to drive I'm using this one to learn all that I can.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Wadesbrain @ Mar 8 2021, 03:31 PM) *
I already have a 2.7 that is going into the car I'm just wondering what to do with the 1.7 other than throwing it 8nto the parts pile. I have other cars to drive I'm using this one to learn all that I can.

In that case, clean it up and sell it. Bonus points if you still have the original FI. That's what i did with mine.

There certainly is a market for those.
idea.gif
horizontally-opposed
Having spent 20 years with a 1.7 that might have been a 1911 (no one knows, but it was tired…and slow), I was going to say find a long, downhill stretch—but the truth is I sure had a lot of fun with the car with a mere 1.7…and it helped me become a better driver because I had no choice but to learn to preserve my momentum.

My car definitely handled better as a four, but I don't regret moving to a six. You really can't go wrong with a 914.

One thing I am interested is the market for 1.7s. It took forever to find a home for mine, to the point that I considered keeping it to disassemble with my daughter. But…time and space. I think eventually I let it go for $300—with working FI.
flat4guy
I have been debating whether or not to upgrade to a 2.0 or larger but the 1.7 is fun, not to powerful but reliable. I'll keep it for now.
Boothy
I'm just a newbie out here and bow/defer to these folks but I foolishly bought a 72 with a FI 1.7. Impulse purchase before learning the song of the longs.

Well, needless to say the '72 got stripped of everything and left for the metal yard.

I stripped mine, had the crank turned and balanced at Rimco (Fat Perf), bought the H-beam rods, big bore kit, CB cam for dual carbs (Eagle), 1800 heads, and dual Webers.

Don't need to set the world on fire so it should be ok. Start it in a month or two.

Good luck with your build!

driving.gif
Shivers
Mine came with a stock 1.7 With a little machine work and a few parts, I built a well running 2.0. Enough power to get myself into the adrenaline zone.
JamesM
QUOTE(Wadesbrain @ Mar 8 2021, 04:09 PM) *

I have a '70 that I'm working on and I'm wondering what I can do with my 1.7?
I dont mind spending some money on the engine. What is a 1.7 capable of becoming?

SO many ways to answer this question. Echoing @SirAndy and @JeffBowlsby a good running stock 1.7 is a great motor. But given you asked....

Lots of ways to spend money, the order of which really depends on what you are currently running on your 1.7? Is it bone stock, carbed, etc? Also what are your goals? Do you need heat? etc
GeorgeKopf
@Wadesbrain

I'm in the same situation. I want to dig into my 1.7 and in my search for answers I found this link: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=141448

It really set my thinking straight. You can build a 1911, 2000 or a 2056 and evidentially the 1.7 case and heads are excellent components to work with.

Feel free to PM if you want to brainstorm and/or bounce ideas around.

George

mepstein
Send it to Jake Raby and get back 185hp.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.