Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine lid spring tool
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Speedo
We are in the front range of Colorado and could use the tool to install two engine lids. CORRECTION...TRUNK LIDS
Thought we would see if someone had one we could borrow before buying the tool.

Let me know if you do...thanks in advance.
mepstein
Lars - I’m happy to let you borrow mine but shipping both ways might not be much less than the cost of the tool. It’s up to you. You have my email. Mark
BillC
Deck (engine) lid springs or trunk lid springs?

The springs in the deck lid can be removed and replaced by hand, no tools required.

It's only the trunk lid springs that need the tool, since they are much stronger than the deck lid springs.
barefoot
Here's mine, look in your grandfathers tool box for one biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
We sell the spring tool and it works well, but you can use a deep socket on a ratchet or several other variations of self made tools. This one just doesn't slip easily and holds the spring nicely.
Superhawk996
21mm China made -- buy cheap, cut slot just wide enough for the torsion bar with cut off wheel.

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(barefoot @ Mar 10 2021, 10:10 AM) *

Here's mine, look in your grandfathers tool box for one biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

i have one of those... it was my grandfathers too!
Speedo
Thanks guys...does anybody have a picture of how it is used? I can't picture the application. Or link me to a thread. I have a lot of tools, and some plumbing wrenches that might work. Also not opposed to modifying an extra Chinese wrench. And, not opposed to purchasing...
Tbrown4x4
BillC asked which torsion bars. You said Engine Lid. Everybody assumes you mean Trunk Lid. Which is it?
Speedo
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Mar 10 2021, 02:15 PM) *

BillC asked which torsion bars. You said Engine Lid. Everybody assumes you mean Trunk Lid. Which is it?

My bad...trunk lid. Hey, I'm not a complete idiot...we survived mounting the front lid.

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.