Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Proof you can turbo a 914 (sort of)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ConeDodger
slap.gif
gfrewin
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 10 2021, 08:24 PM) *

slap.gif

Ha ha ha! That’s the best photo I’ve seen in a while!
bkrantz
Hey, if Porsche can "turbo" the Taycan, then this 914 is equally legit.
poorsche914
When I bought my 914, it also rocked a TURBO. lol-2.gif

Click to view attachment

driving.gif
Spoke
It looks pretty fast sitting there. The chrome bumper may be the most valuable item on that car.
930cabman
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 10 2021, 08:24 PM) *

slap.gif

Someone need to love this tired girl, turbo or not
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 10 2021, 05:24 PM) *

slap.gif

What’s the back-story ? There must be some history here.....
ClayPerrine
I wonder if that is Jenny's brother's car???? He turboed a D-Jet car back in the early 90s.

nein14
That’s nonsense you can’t turbo charge a 914 it’s impossible
Click to view attachment
lalee914
I have the installation manual for the Crown Turbo for the 914 1.7 & 1.8

http://p914-6info.net/Manuals.htm

Scroll down a bit
SKL1
I had my '71 with a turbo kit for several years back in the '70's. It was built and designed by a good friend who was (and still is at 84) a respected and long time Porsche mechanic who had set several speed records at Bonneville in his Carrera Speedster back in the '60's. We had a side draft carb and water injection. Was reasonably reliable as I took it from IA to WI and Road America several times in that time period. After about 5 years or so it blew some seals and I removed it. Still have the header system somewhere...
KevinW
I have one of the Crown kits on my car. Got it running last year, I need to do some tweaking before I hit the road this spring.
aturboman
Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(lalee914 @ Mar 11 2021, 04:22 PM) *

I have the installation manual for the Crown Turbo for the 914 1.7 & 1.8

http://p914-6info.net/Manuals.htm

Scroll down a bit

@scottthephotog has a crown turbo kit in his garage. But it is not on his car.

Clay
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 11 2021, 06:00 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 10 2021, 05:24 PM) *

slap.gif

What’s the back-story ? There must be some history here.....

Backstory is I found it for sale on Craigslist in Carson City NV the day I posted. I think my search was “Porsche” under parts for sale.
Is it a good idea to turbo a 914? I would wonder about the cylinder head temperatures, and maybe confusing handling from the lag?
Literati914
I have a 2056 built on a GA/2.0 (non-turbo'd engine) that has dished 96mm pistons.. which is something I can not find any info on. I have some extra flat tops for it, but I've been wondering if I should keep the dished pistons for a turbo build. Maybe a turbo charged 1911, since I do have a 1.7 sitting around too. Thoughts?

Maltese Falcon
The late '70s when we manufactured our MSDS T4 turbo kits, approx 147 rwhp in a box smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Accelleration surprised the avarage 911 driver, handling was already superior !
Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
QUOTE(98101 @ Mar 13 2021, 02:14 PM) *

Is it a good idea to turbo a 914? I would wonder about the cylinder head temperatures, and maybe confusing handling from the lag?

I have driven @McMark 1.7 turbo which is a stock lower end with stock top end and a nicely executed turbo manifold. There were no handling issues at all...
Maltese Falcon
Forced induction has taken hold !
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.