Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [OT] Business Operation Opinions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djm914-6
Since more than 1/2 of my painting "business", comes from the 914 community, I thought this would be the best place to ask questions. Plus, I know many of you have turned a hobby into a busines; either part time or full time.

I'm staying part time for now since my unemployment only lasted a few weeks. But, I want to continue to progress by making my hobby more professional. How should I do this?

Problems that have come up before are:
-Underestimated time to complete project
-Underestimated time aloted for painting (family and real job come first)
-Pricing
-People wanting product or at least for me to start on a product prior to paying.

Thoughts?
MoveQik
For those of us not in the know, what business do you do(sounds like automotive painting?) Do you already have all the equipment? Facilities? What would it take to make a full-time switch? Pro and cons of switching and/or not switching?
djm914-6
Oh, sorry. I forgot about that part.

I paint about anything that comes my way. Most of the time it's either Tee Shirts or RC cars but I've also painted cell phones, helmets, lamps, radios, canvas, etc. I'd like to do cars, but it's a bit of a stretch for now as the equipment and locations can be expensive. Basically, I paint whatever will fit into my small studio (8x10).
914GT
If you plan to run a business like auto painting out of your garage, you're asking for trouble. Zoning restrictions, voided homeowners insurance, pissed-off neighbors, etc. If you're serious the first step is a business license then acquiring the capital to buy or build a facility in an area zoned for it. Then getting it insured to cover your property and customers from potential damage claims.

Edit: you could probably get away with small stuff as you described.
mihai914
I thinl you should really try to cator to the motorcycle guys, you can do it in the limited space you have and it should be profitable.

This may sound bad, but you should also consider your pricing, if you think your work is top notch, then you should charge accordingly. People will always associate painting quality with price, the old 10K$ paint job...

I think it makes sense that while you do excellent work on t-shirts (saw Ralf Hartmann's) there is so much money you can charge for it. If you were to do the same thing on a canvas and get the word out to expensive car owners that want to hang something special on a wall then you could be making better money.

I know it's not always about the money, but it comes to that in the end if you want to live from your hobby.

A business plan should be put together, even if it's not professional looking, it's just for you to know what you want, how you want to do it and to see if your objectives are met.

For example you can have a website done by a friend who knows how to do it and can make it look professionnal, the way your store looks is very important, and deal all over the US. The hard part is going to market yourself to the right customers.

I don't think you need school to have your own business, it's one of those things that you have in you just like some people with mechanics.

Biggest problem you can have will probably cashflow, that will endanger the business greatly. And basically what you offer is a service and not a product, you're offering your talent to people.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (mihai914 @ Jul 19 2005, 03:09 PM)
For example you can have a website done by a friend who knows how to do it...

well - there's this one that does need to be updated, which is probably why Dave hasn't mentioned it, and he's too nice a guy to yell at me and tell me to do it :-)

Dave's sent me a whole buncha exciting new stuff to add to the site, but i haven't done it yet.

OK! i promise!

i'll phase in the updates!

(Dave - you on for the East Coast Ramble in VT ?)
mihai914
OK Dave, now I clearly see where your problem is, it's Rich!!! laugh.gif

Just kidding.

Yes will you be at the ECR?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (mihai914 @ Jul 19 2005, 04:17 PM)
Yes will you be at the ECR?

probably. we haven't made all the arrangements yet.
if we do, i donno in what car. i think the clutch in the 911 is iffy, and i donno if i can have the 2,7 installed by then. we might be in the Subie...
mihai914
I've been to three ECRs and not once did I have a 914, so I guess I'm not the one who is going to juge you if you show up in the subie. biggrin.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (mihai914 @ Jul 19 2005, 04:26 PM)
... I'm not the one who is going to juge you if you show up in the subie. ...

i figure either way, i'll be there in an engine-donor car :-)
djm914-6
I'd judge you, but I won't be there.

I've been sworn off attending Posche events indefinitely; which is why I want to host my own. I was told I couldn't go to... nothing was said about the event coming to me.

Website: I can't complain about something I don't pay for! I know Rich will get to it someday.

Pricing: I would like to get into doing canvas work. I also like tees as people don't expect perfection so I can do them faster and free-er. wacko.gif I realize people won't pay as much for a shirt as they would a wall art piece but you'd be amazed at how much people would spend. That's why I try to taylor my prices to fit the buyer. Granted a $20 shirt won't look like a $90 shirt but to most, it doesn't mater.

I just bought a log book to help me keep track of money going in and out plus address of repeat customers (Hi MikeRose!!) so I don't kneed to keep asking for their information. I need something to keep track of my orders and their status. I also need some sort of recept/ order... thing. Maybe just a recept book, but software is probably better.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (djm914-6 @ Jul 19 2005, 04:47 PM)
I've been sworn off attending Posche events indefinitely...

we are close to that point.

i am definitely taking a break from PCA events.
the 356Registry in this part of the world is pretty active and the dynamic is different.
Joy had a great time in VT 2 yrs ago and wants to go back.
i think we'll do the FFC and swing down to KY for family again in October.

next year, between the Parade and the WCC, i'm leaning toward the WCC.
djm914-6
Mihai, I just re-read your post. Theres a lot of good information in there. You're right, I need to come up with a plan. Thank you for taking the time to put all that in writing. pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.