Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Theft in Massachusetts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
All,

I need a bit of 914 therapy, my son (the 914 builder, 19yr old) has been active in FB marketplace. We are pretty certain that we were visited by a friend of someone he sold some tires and wheels to, came back and took his CarbonFiber Mountain Bike.

mad.gif

Here are the videos.

https://youtu.be/wfNbGAr6Xdw

https://video.nest.com/clip/5f82651e8ebf411da0625de3edce1c7d

Here is the crazy part. blink.gif

He rode up - as you can see on a bike. Left that bike up against a construction workers car. Then, rode off on the bike from our shed.

The bike he left behind he had _just_ stolen from a house 2 blocks away. He left the bike he rode to that house in their 'mud room' where their road bike was stored.

The cops came, were great and they were scratching their heads for hours on this one.

confused24.gif

Post your theories as to why there were 2 upgrades and I will send a bag of SightGlass coffee to the best post. I will post the rest of the story in a week or two.

My son was able to track the bike after it left our house for a mile by knocking on doors and talking to neighbors with cameras. Here is a laugh for you. He got to the Dept of Public works and asked them to look at their cameras, they responded that the cameras have not worked for 5 years. For those who do not live in NE, this is a very typical Mass-Hole situation - and I say that lovingly. headbang.gif He lost the trail after that......there is a bike path that is wooded that we believe he escaped. One of the people my son talked to remembered the grown man on a kids bike yelling into a cell phone as he rode past their house...........

Post your serial theft guesses now!
mepstein
I hate thieves. ar15.gif
bretth
Hope he gets the bike back. When I was a kid I parked my bicycle in front of our house one afternoon. Came out later to see another bike sitting in its place. Then I looked down the street a few houses away and there was my bicycle parked in front of another house. As far as we could tell someone stole my crappy huffy after stealing another nicer bike with a light weight plastic seat (less comfortable i guess), left that bike in place of mine, then stole a 10 speed from a neighbors open garage and left my bike there. Loser stole 3 bikes in a matter of minutes.
jd74914
Ugh. That sucks. Definitely sounds very pre-meditated. Guy doesn't really look like an avid biker so I feel like it's going to show up either in parts or while on CL/FB MP.

Did your son post details to the local bike groups? Some of the CT groups have had pretty good success tracking down stolen bikes.

Gotta ask...what kind of bike?
73-914
This is why I have a shotgun
ValcoOscar
So sorry...

Learning and seeing the video reopens the wound from a prior garage break-in.

Thank god my neighbors are retired law enforcement.
I have home alarms and multiple video cameras that don't hurt either.

Last but not least, Mr Mossberg and Mr Glock are close by. biggrin.gif

O

siverson
Those are pretty good videos. Seems like someone should be able to recognize him...

-Steve
sb914
I would have your son post is ALL OVER Social media. I’m sure someone will recognize him or that jacket...
rgolia
Sorry to hear about this ish. Same thing happened to my bike when I lived in San Jose. Took the 914 out to find them with a baseball bat in hand. Found them and keep driving....it was a group of 7-8 punks. Wasn't worth getting the 914 or my face messed up. Hated the feeling. Unfortunately there are many people in the world that just suck. Fortunately they are offset by all the good ones smile.gif
Shivers
When I was a spy for the Junior branch of the PTA, I frequently changed bikes to throw off tails. sunglasses.gif
bretth
Bike theft revenge. There is another video that can only be watched on Youtube where the bike has no brakes and falls apart going down a steep hill when stolen smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-OwjoP96Rc
ctc911ctc
- Here is the rest of the story -

Turns out that the house that the thief went to first was a brick colonial on the same side of the street. There are only 2 on the street.

Our theory is that the thief was told to go to the brick house on the left. He did and then was told on the phone that he had the wrong house, rode 2 blocks to our house and traded up.,

The bike was a Scott XCountry

Need to order new shocks for the front of the 914..........hate to give up the originals - still on the car, but they are shot.............

Here we go, Spring is here in NE. driving-girl.gif driving.gif
Freezin 914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 11 2021, 08:20 AM) *

I hate thieves. ar15.gif

Agreed!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.