Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do I need to worry about when replacing all gaskets/seals in my transmission?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
messick
I've taken the engine/trans out of my car in my "get this six conversion back on the road after sitting for almost 20 years" quest, and since I'm in there, I'm replacing all the seals and whatnot that have obvious leakage issues going on.

Engine wise is pretty straight forward what's easy to do, and what requires something like splitting the case, so not too worried there. However, for the transmission, I'm not sure what I can do without making myself miserable.

I have the Erling gasket kit. And while the speedo, shift, input, and drive seals seem obvious, can I just take the case apart to replace the larger gaskets? The last thing I want to do is take everything apart to find out I need some sort of adjustment rig if I ever want it to go back together and shift correctly

I tried to find a writeup from someone either here or from the bird site that laid out all the steps, but I couldn't find anything about doing all the gaskets/seals in the kit. So if anyone has a link to one of those, that would be great.

Thanks all.
mgphoto
You didn’t mention which version of the tranny you would be working on. As for gaskets all can be replaced but the gaskets between the intermediate plate and the transaxle body must be replaced with the same thickness, this sets the pinion/ring gear backlash.
Most seals are pretty straight forward to replace.
The gasket kit at the Porsche dealer was under $20 when I first bought one, last time it was $130, 2 years ago.
brant
you would be better off not to open the tranny
at least as far as the intermediate plate/gasket
I'd leave it alone unless you want to rebuild the inside

as mentioned, that gasket sets the ring and pinion differential
it MUST be the same as the original setting or will require a very special tool

I'd replace the front output, side outputs, etc.. and not open the box
you can take just the rear cover off and regasket that one, if you want...
the 2nd plate is the intermediate
messick
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 11 2021, 12:46 PM) *

you would be better off not to open the tranny
at least as far as the intermediate plate/gasket
I'd leave it alone unless you want to rebuild the inside

as mentioned, that gasket sets the ring and pinion differential
it MUST be the same as the original setting or will require a very special tool

I'd replace the front output, side outputs, etc.. and not open the box
you can take just the rear cover off and regasket that one, if you want...
the 2nd plate is the intermediate

Sounds good, I definitely do not want to do a rebuild at this time.
Bleyseng
Put the Magic Smoke back in by using Swepco gear oil!
AZBanks
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 11 2021, 06:11 PM) *

Put the Magic Smoke back in by using Swepco gear oil!

Swepco made lots of pretty puddles on my garage floor. It is great oil for other cars. Dr Evil recommends just straight 90 weight dino oil and after swapping out the Swepco for what the Evil Dr recommends, I am very happy.

I just did a reseal on my trans(the reason for the Swepco swapping).
I replaced the front input seal, the side output shaft seals,and the speedo cable output seal. The only (easy) seal I didn't do is the shift selector input shaft seal.

You get one guess where my trans has a very slow leak.

Yes, the shift selector input seal is leaking. Here is a write up on how to replace it.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...select_seal.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.