Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: steering wheel reconditioned
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
akp2002
I am looking to see if anyone knows where I can have a new leather wrap put on my steering wheel. Is there a kit for this?
Rufus
Dallas Custom Steering Wheel does exquisite work.
mepstein
QUOTE(Rufus @ Mar 11 2021, 03:03 PM) *

Dallas Custom Steering Wheel does exquisite work.

agree.gif They’ve done a half dozen wheels for me.
Pops71Por
If you decide to attempt yourself, insure your kit or strap you purchase is for correct diameter of the wheel. I didn't the first attempt, got too big and well, it was good practice when the right width showed up.

Only issues I had doing it myself was tucking under the rubber center if you have the stock wheel.

Locally I have used guys who did seats for motorcycles they understand curves and shapes better than the basic shop to recover your sofa.
Brian Fuerbach
I purchased a kit from Redline a couple of years ago and installed it myself. I found out that they are in located in Poland after ordering but it arrived quickly. Nice quality. First time attempting this and it was not too difficult. I used the padded kit.

https://www.redlinegoods.com/SteeringWheelC...ASAAEgJD8PD_BwEClick to view attachment
raynekat
These DIY kits are dependent on how well the kit is sized and cut. If done correctly by the company, it's not too bad of a job. Does take some time and effort but you can get a good result.

If the size and cutting are off from the company, it's a nightmare. IMHO
FlacaProductions
Another vote for Dallas Custom
mepstein
QUOTE(Brian Fuerbach @ Mar 11 2021, 06:41 PM) *

I purchased a kit from Redline a couple of years ago and installed it myself. I found out that they are in located in Poland after ordering but it arrived quickly. Nice quality. First time attempting this and it was not too difficult. I used the padded kit.

https://www.redlinegoods.com/SteeringWheelC...ASAAEgJD8PD_BwEClick to view attachment

I think Car-bone does those wheels. I remember someone sending one in to get wrapped and being very disappointed by the non stock seams on the diameter of the wheel.
raynekat
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 11 2021, 06:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Brian Fuerbach @ Mar 11 2021, 06:41 PM) *

I think Car-bone does those wheels. I remember someone sending one in to get wrapped and being very disappointed by the non stock seams on the diameter of the wheel.

I wouldn't like the looks of those seams either!
Brian Fuerbach
The seams are not stock looking but neither is the interior matching color I went with. The seams really do help with hand grip in hard corners though.
aharder
Another vote for Dallas Custom !!
They did a great job on mine.
akp2002
QUOTE(aharder @ Mar 12 2021, 05:02 AM) *

Another vote for Dallas Custom !!
They did a great job on mine.

Thanks everyone, I love this site!

Definitely going with Dallas Custom!
akp2002
Thanks for all the responses.
I am going with Dallas Custom though Brian your interior looks great. Going to do the interior in the same color.
akp2002
Just got pictures back from Dallas Steering Wheel. It looks brand new. Fast turn around too!
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
burlybryan
QUOTE(akp2002 @ Mar 25 2021, 11:04 AM) *

Just got pictures back from Dallas Steering Wheel. It looks brand new. Fast turn around too!
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Hi Alan - I recognize that steering wheel! Glad you got it recovered. Looks fantastic. Hopefully their shipping goes a little more smoothly.

- Bryan (ebay)
Rufus
Great looking wheel akp2002!
mb911
They did mine as well. Great job for sure.
Brian Fuerbach
May have to have mine redone professionally. If you dont mind sharing, what did it cost?
mepstein
QUOTE(Brian Fuerbach @ Mar 25 2021, 08:17 PM) *

May have to have mine redone professionally. If you dont mind sharing, what did it cost?

Dallas charges 400-600 depending on options
FlacaProductions
Late 2019, my costs were as follows - love how it turned out.

The cost to recover your 1974 Porsche 914 steering wheel to factory's specification with some options available is.
- Wheel $399 (premium solid black leather).
- Extra 1/8" padding $75 (to make it thick as original RS, RSR wheels).
- Colored/Style stitching (no extra charge).
- Shipping $30 (ConUS) or $75 (International).
Turn around time about 4-5 days.

Click to view attachment
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Mar 25 2021, 07:23 PM) *

Late 2019, my costs were as follows - love how it turned out.

The cost to recover your 1974 Porsche 914 steering wheel to factory's specification with some options available is.
- Wheel $399 (premium solid black leather).
- Extra 1/8" padding $75 (to make it thick as original RS, RSR wheels).
- Colored/Style stitching (no extra charge).
- Shipping $30 (ConUS) or $75 (International).
Turn around time about 4-5 days.

Click to view attachment

That's real nice. Not cheap though.
akp2002
QUOTE(Brian Fuerbach @ Mar 25 2021, 08:17 PM) *

$399 including shipping, the wheel was $250 so I have $649 into it to replace the Mono I put on in 1982. Wish I had kept the original wheel!
mb911
This is mine with only 1/16" wrap so not RSR thick but thicker then stockClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.