Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 compared to other vintage Porsche purchase thoughts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wayne1234
Looking for input from others who have owned or driven other vintage Porsche models. I am wanting to get back into a vintage car to drive somewhat regularly. Initially I was thinking I would get back into a 914 since I didn’t get to spend much seat time with my old one. I know they have shot up in value, As I’m cruising what’s for sale I’m trying to weigh what I want, this time around I can spend more on a good car if it makes sense. At first I was wanting a bit of a light project, and I still might, but I’m also thinking about just getting a nice one. Which at the price they are going for seems to open up other options, which has me thinking about straying away from the 914. Is it me or have the 356’s dropped in price? Especially the coupe. They were sky high 10 years ago. What do they drive like compared to a 914? I’m not going to track or push this car, I’m more looking for good overall vintage driving experience. I have also noticed there are a few 911’s that might fit the bill, but I almost think they are too common, I know a 911 will probably drive the best, but might have a little negativity in public, which is what I’m trying to get away from. What has been your criteria when you were thinking about your next car? I’m tending to hold on to them longer then I did in the past. And I’m wanting something more soul than than the garage queens I have. Thanks for any input
falcor75
QUOTE(wayne1234 @ Mar 12 2021, 05:25 AM) *

Looking for input from others who have owned or driven other vintage Porsche models. I am wanting to get back into a vintage car to drive somewhat regularly. Initially I was thinking I would get back into a 914 since I didn’t get to spend much seat time with my old one. I know they have shot up in value, As I’m cruising what’s for sale I’m trying to weigh what I want, this time around I can spend more on a good car if it makes sense. At first I was wanting a bit of a light project, and I still might, but I’m also thinking about just getting a nice one. Which at the price they are going for seems to open up other options, which has me thinking about straying away from the 914. Is it me or have the 356’s dropped in price? Especially the coupe. They were sky high 10 years ago. What do they drive like compared to a 914? I’m not going to track or push this car, I’m more looking for good overall vintage driving experience. I have also noticed there are a few 911’s that might fit the bill, but I almost think they are too common, I know a 911 will probably drive the best, but might have a little negativity in public, which is what I’m trying to get away from. What has been your criteria when you were thinking about your next car? I’m tending to hold on to them longer then I did in the past. And I’m wanting something more soul than than the garage queens I have. Thanks for any input

Buy the best most sorted car you can regardless of which body shape it is. Maintenance issues and personalisations can keep you busy enough when you want to drive it alot.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(wayne1234 @ Mar 11 2021, 08:25 PM) *

What has been your criteria when you were thinking about your next car? . . . . I’m wanting something more soul

English ? French ? German ? Italian ? Swedish ?
silverg
I think you will have a tough time beating a 914 for vintage car driving fun.
Mikey914
The 914 has soul. Yes the values are rising, as are the 951's and a few others. I'm fairly certain they have more room to go up.
Jett
A well sorted 914 is all soul and requires enough tinkering to keep most busy. A well sorted G body 911 has soul but is at least 2X $ more than the 914. A well sorted 928 (79 era) is the most comfortable and attracts the most attention, but is one of the most expensive to get right.

Btw. I have not seen a sorted 356 for under $55-60k.
Bleyseng
I think a 914 has the best pure driving experience vs say a early 60's 356 which to me drives like a souped up Beetle. With the ease it is to bump up the HP now on 2.0L type 4 engines it's a good basic fun car. Now if you have $$$$ buy a Rod Emory 356 or a Singer 911. piratenanner.gif
horizontally-opposed
A well-sorted 356C coupe is an engaging, wonderful vintage car that's full of character and makes everyone smile, in a good way. I like the handling, the shifter, the brakes, and the overall experience a lot—it was a master class in taking something old (very old…) and making it better over 15-17 years. If I could have more than one old car, a late 356 coupe would be on the short list (though probably not first or second), right alongside a Giulia GT or Super (or a GTA if we're dreaming).

However…

A good 914—four or six—is very tough to beat when it comes to blending early Porsche sounds, smells, and style with surprisingly modern dynamics, momentum, and performance. The fours are great long-distance cars, while the sixes are nearly impossible to beat in the Porsche world when it comes to the aural experience (think CGT, GT3, and race cars). 914 is also coupe-like when buttoned up while offering near-convertible motoring too—and is friendly, approachable, and a smile-prompter.

Still love SWB 911s and 912s for the visuals, and any number of 911s for the driving experience, but it makes me smile whenever someone asks if my 914 is an Alfa.
Andyrew
I bought a $1500 1989 vw cabriolet to use while my daily was in the shop. I cant believe how much I like that car.

Perfect examples are going for 5k, which puts it in 914 territory back in the late 90's. I have zero doubt they will appreciate just like the 914's will in the next 10 years, especially since the hard tops are going for double the convertible prices and they are on the rise.

Not necessarily vintage, but should really be explored.

Not a lot of cars have more character than a 914 for anywhere near the price. Performance? Sure... but character? Find me a mid engine Targa top with two trunk, pop up headlights and air cooled sound for anywhere near the price of a 914.

Mark Henry
QUOTE(wayne1234 @ Mar 11 2021, 11:25 PM) *

I know a 911 will probably drive the best, but might have a little negativity in public, which is what I’m trying to get away from. What has been your criteria when you were thinking about your next car? I’m tending to hold on to them longer then I did in the past. And I’m wanting something more soul than than the garage queens I have. Thanks for any input

Not really, pushing a 911 to its limit takes a huge amount of driver skill where as the mid engine 914 is a lot more neutral.

I agree buy the best example you can, for sure get a PPI and then drive it like you stole it.
If you can afford it get a well sorted /6 conversion, but I admit that I'm biased.
driving-girl.gif
When I was a kid I almost bought a Saab Sonett with the Ford V4 engine.
Mikey914
If your looking for a value it's like bit coin. I had a chance to by at $13, then $268, them $9000. When you compare it to what you could have bought it for it always looks over priced.

Look where it is today. It may come back down, but the real opportunity had passed me by. Or has it?

At least 914's offer a good community to go with them biggrin.gif
flyer86d
Better than a 914? Everything is different. I loved driving my 58 356A coupe but my uncle had a 64 356C coupe that he bought new that I thought was more refined. It was a great car to drive long distance in. Our 73 911 was the best of the 911’s that we had in terms of feel. It seemed so much lighter handling and neutral that the later cars. All of these cars have gotten expensive. Cheap thrills? Get a Boxster. Mine is not a show car and now is showing 132K on the clock so I drive it and don’t worry when I park it. The heat and AC work great, the engine noises are terrific, as is the handling.

Other cars would be a mid 1980’s Alfa Spider. I’ve had two and they are just so pleasant to drive. Not real fast but the engine is willing, handling is OK but it is no Porsche. Early 90’s Mercedes 300SL. I bought one for my daughter for her senior year in high school. It was a rich guys Sunday car, had 64K on it for $5300 and was flawless. Sold it with 140K for $5000 still flawless and only replaced the brake pads. It was great for the trip from our home in Vermont to our cottage on the Maine Coast which takes about 6.25 hours as most of it is on 2 lane roads. I would get out of the car without feeling fatigued. Ours had the 5 speed auto but if you look real hard, there were a few that had a 5 speed manuals. Not as sporting as a Porsche but real pleasant to drive. I have had a number of Benz’s from that era. No electronics and easy to work on. The R129 SL’s are galvanized also.

Charlie

wayne1234
Thanks for all the input all really good points, I really appreciate it. Im keeping my eyes peeled and daily watching what’s up for sale, I’m hoping the right car comes along. Hopefully I can find a clean one that isn’t a museum piece, I’m over having cars that barely get driven.
Front yard mechanic
Screw the vintage car thing go out and buy a brand new gt3 and go race Sebring tomorrow first.gif
r_towle
I am lucky enough to have 914s, 911, 356 and beetles
The community of the 914 has soul
Like no other
wayne1234
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Mar 12 2021, 06:18 PM) *

Screw the vintage car thing go out and buy a brand new gt3 and go race Sebring tomorrow first.gif

True lol it I’m not really into racing, but around here the general public basically despises anyone who has a nice and what they deem to be a expensive unobtainable car. (Meanwhile their new SUV or pick up probably costs more because I buy used) I have had people scream and cuss me out for simply walking up to my car or getting gas. I’m over it. On the contrary I had a stupidly expensive F650 Supertruck that I used to tow our boat with and never got anything but a friendly smile or conversation.
MM1
QUOTE(wayne1234 @ Mar 13 2021, 08:57 AM) *

True lol it I’m not really into racing, but around here the general public basically despises anyone who has a nice and what they deem to be a expensive unobtainable car. (Meanwhile their new SUV or pick up probably costs more because I buy used) I have had people scream and cuss me out for simply walking up to my car or getting gas. I’m over it. On the contrary I had a stupidly expensive F650 Supertruck that I used to tow our boat with and never got anything but a friendly smile or conversation.

Yep, God bless ‘Murica!

Great thread - completely agree with “ The community of the 914 has soul
Like no other.”

Now I’m gonna go drive my “patina laden” 1972 GMC Jimmy . . .

Only wish that afterwards, I could drive my 914 basket case in the hills behind my house.
mlindner
Wayne, what I've seen in the last 5 to 10 years is older 911 track cars turned into stripped hot rod type street cars. Bodies in general are pretty clean, less rust and make great sport/street cars. Mine is a 74 914 with lots of DE's and auto-x for 20 years. Now a 914-6 GT Tribute, and again pretty clean body because it was not exposed to most of the street elements. I work part time at a high end Porsche street/race shop and we have a few race cars going back to street build for that driving experience . Mark
Rufus
Last buying decision I made was based on the fun factor in spirited street driving. IIRC it was Peter Gregg (please correct me if I’m wrong) who once said the greatest driving pleasure comes in a nimble, responsive, good handling car rather than a car with blinding straight line acceleration (i.e. a one trick pony.) This puts early Porsches at or near the top of the list of candidates.

IMHO the 914/6 or 914/6 conversion fill the bill perfectly ... with the obvious difference being how much value one puts on pedigree. My ‘67 911S is a cool car with timeless iconic design and pedigree. But I find that’s not so important to me now as earlier in life. Now I appreciate what some feel is the quirky 914 styling because fewer people know what it is, and it doesn’t have the perceived snob appeal of the 911S. The 914/6 ticks some important boxes for me ... lightweight, mid-engine (near optimal f/r balance, low polar moment of inertia), and dry sump / low CG.

Of all the cars I’ve owned, the two I’ll keep as long as I can drive ‘em are the 914/6 and my 1987 CRX Si ... IMHO both “bests” of their respective platform configurations for fun in spirited backroad driving.

In the end it’s a personal decision based on one’s desired balance between driving pleasure, styling, image, possible investment value, pedigree, etc..
roblav1
A SWB 912 can be a lot of fun.
Larmo63
I'm loving my 911s. I have two of them now. hide.gif

Click to view attachment
914_teener

av-943.gif

Be a trend setter.....

Hard to beat a 986 for the money.
Unobtanium-inc
I used to autocross my 356, but then I started with my 914, hands down the 914 is more fun. The problem with a 356 is if you want a decent one you'll spend $50,000 minimum, and good luck finding the $50,000 driver, they are out there, but aren't easy to find.
You can spend under $20,000 and basically get almost all the 914 you could ever want.
So for driveability the 914 is a better bet, for smiles and waves, the 356 is the winner. A 356 is wonderful to drive, but hard to justify 4-5 times the cost if you want to just drive an air-cooled Porsche on the weekends.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.