Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas Leaking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tbone1819
So today I pulled my 73 914 1.7 (factory injection)out of hibernation. Let the car run for a few while moving the other cars around. Took the car to the gas station and noticed a strong smell of gas on the way back. When I got home I noticed a puddle of fuel on the ground where the car was idling earlier. And had my wife cycle the fuel pump while I looked in the engine bay. Gas was pouring out of the #2 spark plug boot. Took the boot off and broke the wire of course. Checked to see if the plug was tight and it was. Where can this leak be coming from? Thanks for your help. Just glad that I didn't start a fire.
bretth
Could be injector line leaking onto spark plug area. Be careful.
Arno914
If your car sat for a longer period, it might be a fuel injector itself which is leaking.
There was a thread here not long ago. Be careful, always check before taking off for a ride. I had the same problem with my 1971/4 and ended up replacing 2 faulty injectors with good used ones.
bdstone914
QUOTE(tbone1819 @ Mar 13 2021, 03:02 PM) *

So today I pulled my 73 914 1.7 (factory injection)out of hibernation. Let the car run for a few while moving the other cars around. Took the car to the gas station and noticed a strong smell of gas on the way back. When I got home I noticed a puddle of fuel on the ground where the car was idling earlier. And had my wife cycle the fuel pump while I looked in the engine bay. Gas was pouring out of the #2 spark plug boot. Took the boot off and broke the wire of course. Checked to see if the plug was tight and it was. Where can this leak be coming from? Thanks for your help. Just glad that I didn't start a fire.

@tbone1819

Pull the coil wire so it will not start. Have a fire extinguisher or bucket of water near by.
Clean up the gas and have someone turn the key to the on position. The line will pressurize. Look for the leak. Could be the hose or the injector. Either way you will need to pull and or replace the injector and seals. Check all of the other injectors. If it does not appear to leak initially start the car and watch for leaks. check all of the hoses for flexability. We once started a car that had sat for a long time and after ten minutes an injector started to leak.
tbone1819
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 14 2021, 11:12 AM) *

@tbone1819

Pull the coil wire so it will not start. Have a fire extinguisher or bucket of water near by.
Clean up the gas and have someone turn the key to the on position. The line will pressurize. Look for the leak. Could be the hose or the injector. Either way you will need to pull and or replace the injector and seals. Check all of the other injectors. If it does not appear to leak initially start the car and watch for leaks. check all of the hoses for flexability. We once started a car that had sat for a long time and after ten minutes an injector started to leak.

Thanks guys
wes
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 14 2021, 07:12 AM) *

@tbone1819

Sorry but I don’t think a bucket of water is a good idea, fire extinguisher is a big yes.
tbone1819
QUOTE(wes @ Mar 14 2021, 03:05 PM) *

@tbone1819

Sorry but I don’t think a bucket of water is a good idea, fire extinguisher is a big yes.

Thanks! ANy good suggestions on injectors and seal kit?
Sprout
QUOTE(tbone1819 @ Mar 15 2021, 09:26 AM) *

QUOTE(wes @ Mar 14 2021, 03:05 PM) *

@tbone1819

Thanks! ANy good suggestions on injectors and seal kit?

Yes! I just had to replace an injector in my 1.7. I bought the FJ114 from Standard Motor Products, and their seal kit SK3. Installed and works great!
https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-Produ...1750&sr=8-2
tbone1819
QUOTE(wes @ Mar 14 2021, 02:05 PM) *

@tbone1819

It was a bad hose....thanks for your help
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.