Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: steering gasket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Speedo
Installing my steering rack in my 6 and noticed that there is a decent size hole were the shaft comes through the firewall. Looked on PET and it shows item #32 is a gasket that looks to go over the top of the shaft before the shaft connects to the U-joint under the dash. 914 rubber doesn't look like they carry that. My son's 1.7 is missing it, and Brant's car is missing it too. I have some chunks of open cell foam which I could probably use to make something that would seal the area around the shaft. Thoughts? Ignore it? If I am going to do something about it...now is the time before I tap the U-joint over the splines and bolt it together.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Speedo @ Mar 13 2021, 05:52 PM) *

Installing my steering rack in my 6 and noticed that there is a decent size hole were the shaft comes through the firewall. Looked on PET and it shows item #32 is a gasket that looks to go over the top of the shaft before the shaft connects to the U-joint under the dash. 914 rubber doesn't look like they carry that. My son's 1.7 is missing it, and Brant's car is missing it too. I have some chunks of open cell foam which I could probably use to make something that would seal the area around the shaft. Thoughts? Ignore it? If I am going to do something about it...now is the time before I tap the U-joint over the splines and bolt it together.

I have one. It is a plastic collar that fits to the angle at which the shaft enters the cabin.
Speedo
Hard plastic like the "accordion" bellows below the bearing? And does it attach to, or just rest in the firewall?
rgalla9146

Doesn't the hole for the shaft have rim that protrudes into the upper
recess of the bearing ? ....while the lower side of the bearing holds the upper end of the
'funnel' ?
Luke M
QUOTE(Speedo @ Mar 13 2021, 04:52 PM) *

Kinda lost me here. Post a pic of the area. I have all my steering parts off my 6 in a bin but no clue what you're missing.
Speedo
Here are the pics of the column and the hole in the firewall...parts number in the steering diagram is #32 but it won't allow me to load the schematic.Click to view attachment
Speedo
From the inside of the cockpit...
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Here is the link to the suspension diagram...#32

https://914rubber.com/914/914-front-axle-st...teering-linkage
rgalla9146

Yes, there is a piece that seals against the hole for the steering shaft.
it's on the tank side
I can see it around the shaft through the hole
The diagram in my real 914 parts manual doesn't help.
I assembled it two years ago and can't remember the part.
I'm disassembling a car on Sat. ...I'll get the part.
Mikey914
Looks like #32.
I'll see if I can find a suitable sample to reproduce these. Pretty sure I have one.
-Mark
Speedo
An obvious option would be to "turn down" one of the extra shock bump stops that I have...but some dimensions would help as I have never seen one in person. sunglasses.gif
rgalla9146
There is a rubber collar above the bearing that is clamped to the chassis.
Picture attached.
Luke M
Lars, just pm Bruce Stone to see if he has one available for sale.

jims914
QUOTE(Luke M @ Mar 22 2021, 04:52 PM) *

I am interested if you find one our if Mark is going to make them.
Speedo
QUOTE(jims914 @ Mar 22 2021, 06:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Mar 22 2021, 04:52 PM) *

I am interested if you find one our if Mark is going to make them.

Found one guys! Thanks Bruce and Luke!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.