Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fresh air blower not working
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DavidSweden
My fresh air blower was not working so I removed it to see if it was a simple fix like leavers stopping the fan from rotating.

Unfortunately this was not the case, one of the motor brushes has overheated and the plastic brush holder has melted, I guess I could try to fix it but it would be better to get a new part.
Does anyone know if the motor used on the 914 blower was also used on other VW models?

I want to get a replacement brush holder. Thanks in advance.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
Easiest and most reliable fix is to replace the motor.

URO makes new units. Likewise you can post WTB on classifieds, I bought a used one that way recently.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/9115...ASABEgJEcfD_BwE

Other options on Evil Bay too.
DavidSweden
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 14 2021, 10:13 AM) *

URO makes new units. Likewise you can post WTB on classifieds, I bought a used one that way recently.

Thanks Superhawk,

Any idea how to remove the old motor?
PanelBilly
I got replacement motor from AA and it was an easy fix. Except removing and replacing the airbox
DavidSweden
I just ordered a replacement blower motor thanks for the help.

I don't want to come across as a bit dim but......I am not sure how to remove the old motor (I don't want to risk breaking anything) could someone please let me know the removal procedure?

Thanks in advance.
Superhawk996
Assuming you're replacing the whole blower fan assembly with URO unit.

Need to split the housing. It is held together with little round spring clips (hog rings).

They can be removed by very carefully prying them upward with an awl, scribe, or small screwdiver. Keep a hand over them. When they fly off uncontrolled you'll be luck to find them again.

Plastic housing will then separage into two pieces. Air vane and blower motor & fan assembly can then be removed.

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Mar 14 2021, 02:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 14 2021, 10:13 AM) *

Thanks Superhawk,

Any idea how to remove the old motor?

hey there, we just had a tread recently documenting tear down and rebuild, i used the URO motor & fan assembly and they are just $90,
and 914 rubber has all the seals and flapper seals.

here are a few pictures with the blower assembly apart, new fan new seals the. it back together, but test the resistor pack first to make sure that’s working before putting it all back
DavidSweden
Thanks for the help
DavidSweden
I got the fresh air fan housing apart and the new fan motor (part) installed, I even got the fresh air box back into the car.

I did not attach the cable before installing the fresh air box and now I'm having problems getting the clip that holds down the cable into place.
Should the cable be attached before installing the fresh air fan box?

Thanks in advance
Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
pretty much have to install the cable to the box before putting the box into place unfortunately

Phil
DavidSweden
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 25 2021, 09:04 AM) *

pretty much have to install the cable to the box before putting the box into place unfortunately

Phil

Thanks Phil,
Yes I had to remove the box and install the cable, the box was easier to get in second time around. I now have a working fresh air blower.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Mar 25 2021, 04:20 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 25 2021, 09:04 AM) *

Phil

Thanks Phil,
Yes I had to remove the box and install the cable, the box was easier to get in second time around. I now have a working fresh air blower.

woot woot!! beer.gif

Congrats Dave! me too, i had to pull mine back out due to the wiring issue, was only running on one speed, due to plug having the wires mixed up, been that way since i owned the car, just another DAPO issue, now resolved. That new fan makes a huge difference doesnt it/?
did you put new seals on yours too? 914rubber now has all the seals and clips. did you
use the URO fan as well? i know Bosch makes replacement motors for about same price and the full URO motor/fan assembly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.