Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1st Irish Bumblebee
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ddire333
Going to start this tread by saying thanks to those who helped or gave advice so far and please keep it coming.

About 8 months ago I decided it was time to get a 914, friend had one when i was in high school (80's Ontario) and it was so different to anything else I had driven i have never forgotten it. I'm in Ireland many years now and 914's where never sold here, looked at few in UK but prices where high for not much car, it was a project I was after. Joined 914 world and put a wanted add up, was considering few cars regular members had for sale, but then someone who had just joined made very low key contact, just saying they had a 74 2lt LE they wanted to sell. I thought it it was likely a scam but decided to go along, how wrong I was.

First I got few photos, still skeptical, but slowly as i asked for more detail it was all forthcoming, i was buying sight unseen, but after a few calls with the seller (Tom) all seem good and we did the deal, had the car collected just before Christmas. covid and brexit lead to shipping delays, so the car just arrived this weekend to its new Kildare home. Anyway Tom is a gent and an Ohio petrol head who just needed to thin out projects, he had had the car since the 90's but had been off the road a few years after a stalled restoration.

So the car is an Ohio car all its life, with.... a very solid body. I started stripping today and outside, the rear jack points and thresholds its very very good so far. Hell hole is solid from the top and had good photos of underside from Tom, so hopeful.

Engine needs a full rebuild (its in boxes) as does suspension, fuel, brakes and and a full respray. The interior is original and in great shape. Plan is to have a driver which is as original as possible, like what Ian is doing on youtube, but with a bit less budget.

I will undertake all but the respray myself, I had a garage to work in lined up but unexpectedly lost it, oh well real men work in the drive anyway. I had to laugh when I took the seats out today, I had restored the ones in my 928 last year and it nearly killed me lugging them about, I don't think both the seats and all the carpet in the 914 equaled one 928 seat. It going to be fun having the two ends of the spectrum to drive.

I will put updates on the thread as I go, but for now here is the original window sticker
and a couple of pics.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Congrats, that 914 looks like a good solid candidate for a full restoration . And imported from Dublin too biggrin.gif (Ohio that is) !
KELTY360
That window sticker is such a great document. Not only is it an excellent description of the basic elements of a 914, but the listing of the LE features leave no doubt of the provenance of the car.

Nice find, good luck with the resto. Keep us posted.
Dion
That’s awesome. Congratulations. Good luck with all. Irish Luck that is!
Seems to be a solid foundation.
Love the window sticker. Very cool.
Look forward to seeing it completed.
Cheers, Dion
anglophone1
Hi Dave- so three “new” Irish 914s in 2021! We’ve probably doubled the totall
Looking forward to seen this when we can move about - a 928/914 is very cool.......
C
horizontally-opposed
Title of this thread had me envisioning the LE package with Irish Green paint and the yellow trim/wheels.

Very cool car, and cool to see it in Ireland. Cool 928, too. Nice to see alternative ways to enjoy the marque…
bkrantz
Congrats--your car looks vey good.

I hope you can find a garage--doing a serious rebuild outdoors adds to the challenge (been there, done that).
ddire333
Had good weather here the last two days so got stuck in to the strip down.

positives: the car is all very original, the engine number and stamp in the trunk all match, most of the rust I'm finding is mild to medium surface rust and the hell hole survived the jabbing screwdriver test top and bottom. i'm amazed there are so many places where there is no rust, like the rear panel which hold the lights and under the fuel tank, floors, firewall.

the challenges the rust around both rear jacking points is extensive, there is also one small pin hole middle of the rear trunk, right threshold and b pillar also have issues more than surface in places, need to investigate those more

the engine was partially disassembled, the heads hade been cleaned and had valve guides removed, the valve seats and sparkplug holes are perfect, but on one head an exhaust stud boss is damaged, and one intake valve guide boss. I cant tell the extent as some jb weld has be put in. i would prefer to have it repaired - welded, will have to see, any advice welcome. not sure how vital small bit of value guide boss is?Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
burton73
So far, this car is looking very good.

Welcome to the world

Bob B
welcome.png
rgalla9146
What a great find !
Good luck with your new project.
Happy Saint Pattys Day
Slainte !
Rory
Cairo94507
Congratulations. That looks like a really solid starting point. beerchug.gif
ddire333
Short update, have been taking the do something every day approach, splitting between working on the body when the weather is ok, then in the shed when not.

Motor fully stripped now, it seems in good shape for 100k miles, only minor wear on all bearings, expect oil leaks and possibly valve guide wear got the PO part tear down started. Ordering parts now, going 2056 with stock FI and have sent the cam to Elgin cams for regrind (330-1), new injectors ordered as was missing one, new metal fuel lines in. MPS is buggered, have ordered the tangerine racing repair kit. Have decided to have the one damaged head repaired locally instead of going new, the chambers and valve seats are perfect still so feel its worth saving.

On the the body, thankfully the problem rust is confined to the area around and above the jack points on both sides, on the passenger side the door catch was only held in place by "the force" (have more than in the pic cut out now), new panels from RD have arrived so moving on to test fitting them with some self made patch panels before starting the welding

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
rjames
You're moving fast! Nice work!
Shivers
Very cool dude, going to be a nice ride. It looks pretty unmolested, not seeing many missing parts. Best of luck with your build.
anglophone1
Keep it up Dave !
ddire333
chipping away... pulled the front calipers for teardown, already have the rears apart and cleaned, getting some quotes to have them all zinc re-plated. Master cylinder out now as well, just getting new one. Best was finishing off the trunk surface rust cleaning up with por-15, just the need to weld the new reinforcement plate and a couple of pin holds just above it - i'm going to try to weld them up but it doesn't work i'll put some new sheet metal then prep for final paint. Getting all the other repair panels roughed up before i start the welding phase !Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
ddire333
Weather has not been the best to progress the structural welding, plus I was out of practice so decided to see if I could save the front protection plate, it was very tricking to weld, so thin and even though cut and ground worst out i was blowing through all the time but got to a level could live with and then re finished. Also got to finish off the caliper rebuild, new brakes lines 50% in. realy hope to make headway on the structural welding in the next couple of weeks, really want to get it behind meClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
BillJ
ice green metallic or maybe a blue 928 hiding over there too?
ddire333
QUOTE(BillJ @ May 14 2021, 09:46 PM) *

ice green metallic or maybe a blue 928 hiding over there too?

yep, i88 - venetian blue, had no color code stickers when I got it, took me long time to figure out what the color code was
jim_hoyland
Great work! Thanks for sharing. smile.gif
ddire333
Got a good run at the right side rust repairs last few days, I modified outer outer rocker panel a bit to extend it further back as the rust I cut our extended into the wheel house a few inches. I assembled the jacking point with the sill on the bench with many test fits to ensure it lined up). I found that let me get is all more strongly welded and painted inside before popping the whole unit onto car.

Also bolted the latch support (L shape bracket) to the door jam repair panel and then marked and drilled the 4 weld wholes, then fitted the door panel with is bolded in, this made locating that bracket a lot easier. Once i have the jam door panel all welded in I will weld the bracket in from the engine bay. not sure how other have tackled but that just made most sense to me

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
ddire333
Just the left side rocker left to weld, going to push on and get it done this weekend, will be glad to move on from it. finished prepping the repair panels today so just need some goods weather, then on to prepping for paint, and motor build.

I found the shift rod head has some done some self lightening, was going to weld up but how much of an issue is that whole and the now missing grove on the inside to operation?Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
ddire333
Thankfully have had good weather so been making steady progress on the body since i got the welding finished up. Every panel had its issues, dents or minor rust but almost there with the repairs, really just the boot lids to prep now, then its off to to be painted, which will be big milestone. Going to pull the windshield and rear glass, wasn't sure if to do or not but then when i checked both where only held in buy The Force so look like easy to removed and re sealing is needed.

Engine parts all on the way, looking forward to more traditional wrenching, this body stuff is tedious!!! Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=797
691]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
ddire333
Last big job before sending for paint was pulling the windscreen, got it out in one piece and luckily only small amount of rust on the passenger bottom corner, sanded out & treated. Its off to the painter tomorrow beer3.gif Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif beer3.gif
bkrantz
Good work!
ddire333
Well, car was off to paint last week, and today I have a shiny new shell back in the drive, very happy with the result. Particularly happy with the final look of the repaired door jam, good weather forecast so plan to do rear suspension this weekend. I progressed the engine build in the week it was away, will post some pics later but all going well I will get be putting case 1/2s together in the next few days as well. its great motivator to be putting things back on the car now!
JeffBowlsby
Very Very Nice. drooley.gif
ddire333
Having a great spell of weather here, so parked the engine build to carry on with work on the drive while it was in my favor. Got the rear suspension and brakes almost all done, just found I was missing the drop link bushings. Cleaned, re greased and repainted the drive shafts, will move up front next.

Click to view attachment
Shivers
Very nice work. Hope you have some great twisty roads near for the maiden voyage.
krazykonrad
Looks great!
PanelBilly
I saw a film that can be applied to the body just to help prevent little nicks in the paint. Never used it on my car, but it looks like a smart idea. That paint looks so nice and a little protection might help it stay that way.
ddire333
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 20 2021, 11:22 PM) *

I saw a film that can be applied to the body just to help prevent little nicks in the paint. Never used it on my car, but it looks like a smart idea. That paint looks so nice and a little protection might help it stay that way.
thanks, for now i'm just being careful as I can, would be unsure of putting anything on the paint until is had bit more time to fully harden, not sure there is any science behind that!!
ddire333
Got started on the front suspension last week, managed to clean and re-grease the rack, put on the new turbo tie rods, and do the MC and brake line install. The rest of the suspension was fighting me, looks original so have some ceased bolts to overcome. Raining this week, so returned to the the engine in the shed, all ready for big day tomorrow, mating the case halves. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
ddire333
Got the short block together ok last week beer3.gif awaiting on the heads from the machine shop, so just testing CR with the AA 96mm pistons. I'm at .65mm deck height which will be 8.9 CR from what I understand (assuming 3cc for dish and 57cc for stock heads) will check difference with shims that came in the gasket pack to see what difference I get next, I'm assuming I want to get it down a bit but will do some more reading.

Also cleaning and soldered the replay board some time ago, but was unsure about re-potting, decided to use an underbody wax seal, which is very close to the original look and has benefit it can be removed like the original if ever needed. will just have to test how it does with heat after it driers for a few weeks.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
ddire333
Got the last of the suspension, steering and brakes finished this weekend! Great to be finished a few big jobs. Put fluid into the brake system, bled and nipped up any leaks on on all the new fittings, all seems good with my caliper rebuilds. Working on the fuel system now, have the new fuel pump in, moved it up front, and just finishing of the rest in the next week.

Found the rear shit rod was messed up, but think i will repair for now just to get moving and then get a good used one next spring when i'm back in the the great white north.

Waiting on the heads to come back from the machine shop, they are fixing a broken exhaust stud boss and putting the new valve guides in, then its on to finishing the engine build, expect that to take 2 weeks, still aiming for first start by end of sept.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
wonkipop
i love it mate.

i'm half irish descent. the other half is german.
its just great the way you are doin it in the driveway.
i've obviously lost my hard nuts a couple of generations later in australia.
i work under cover. i am ashamed. a traitor to my genes.

car looks good. beer3.gif

iankarr
Great work! We're on parallel paths on both sides of the pond wink.gif Enjoy...
ddire333
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Aug 24 2021, 11:49 AM) *

i love it mate.

i'm half irish descent. the other half is german.
its just great the way you are doin it in the driveway.
i've obviously lost my hard nuts a couple of generations later in australia.
i work under cover. i am ashamed. a traitor to my genes.

car looks good. beer3.gif

Thanks, didn't plan to be doing in the drive, but it has worked out good in that I can do a bit every day. Have to find some shelter for the winter so need it moving soon!
ddire333
QUOTE(iankarr @ Aug 25 2021, 05:39 AM) *

Great work! We're on parallel paths on both sides of the pond wink.gif Enjoy...

Thanks Ian, your videos have been very helpful, might get on a zoom yet but by 11pm Sunday I'm normally wreaked.
Cairo94507
Man, time must really be different in Ireland....all that work would have taken a good year or two here in the USA. Must be like dog years or something. confused24.gif Congratulations on making great great great progress. beerchug.gif
ddire333
Still waiting on the heads from the machine shop, but halleluhua they are ready!!! and I can collect tomorrow, so back to engine for next update.

Since i was stalled on the engine front i was getting on with others jobs, intake runners and new injectors all ready, and then onto fresh coat of sunflower yellow on all the trim bits, wanted to outsource the wheels completely but no one would take them on, didn't like dealing with the metal rim, so got on with it myself , well with help of someone striping them, and polishing up the rims, I'm happy with the result cant wait to get them on the car after the paint dries for a few days more.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Recommend you rotate the injectors 90 degrees which will make the FI harness connectors so much easier to install.
ddire333
Thanks Jeff, i had no trouble getting them in? well is been a few weeks and i pushing to get on the road before winter, thankfully our weather has been good and tomorrow will be big day.... putting the engine in.

I finished the engine rebuild of the past few days, I'm keeping it mostly stock but have put revised cam (elgin 330-1) and new jugs and pistons 2056, did all the bearings new valves and guides so hopefully enough to see it through a good few years and give small power boost. i estimate 8.7 compression.

As space is limited I need to move the engine to near the car, and then mate up the transaxle and slide it in.

in between working on the 914 got a few days in Donegal with some other Porsche heads in the 928, some great roads and good to be getting out and about again!Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=808
937]Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
ddire333
Took few days off work to get the show on the road, and as of today it is beer3.gif .

Moved the engine and gearbox out to the car, but them in place with a little help, then spend few days checking fuel, fluids, adding exhaust (poorly it seems as i have exhaust leak on number 4 at least, if not more), checking hoses, wiring - was quite nerve racking trying to make sure all was right but it started right up first time

Tried to do the 20 min cam brake-in at 2500 rpm, i was so busy trying to keep the rpms up it took me some time to notice the exhaust was way over heating do late timing. Stopped, cool don and added some advance and the engine was much more happy.

First test drive was today, here is a vid. (fixed the backwards tail light wires already!)
first drive

Biggest issues 1) voltage drop to the starter, or more to the solenoid, cleaned and soldered all the connections but it was still lucky dip, so put the relay "fix" in for now will go back to it later 2) exhaust leak from heads, kind of expected as I was fearful if torque those nuts much, hopefully a easy fix to loosen and re-seat them. 3) getting good idle, we not really as engine has been in less then as week and its nearly good, have holding around 1000 rpm when warm now 4) new coil faulty after running ok twice giving me a no start issue, not the fault I expected. 5) injector plug covers (new) had pulled them after the no start issue, they where bugger to get on on the bench, in the car they are near impossible.

In the next week will drive down to do import and first reg inspection and get a reg number. Then next few weeks will be for install of new 914 rubber door seal kit and engine lid - basically get it water proof .... and put a few miles on biggrin.gif . then put it away from the winter rain until spring.... for the finishing touches

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Progressing along great!

Noticed your two alternator harness grommets are not quite right, looks like you left the one off that fits to the back of the alternator cover (inner grommet). The outer gtommet slides over the central harness section with both branches in it, and inserts into the hole on the engine tin.
ddire333
hi Jeff, I need to go over things in the engine bay again, few bits i just put where i though made sense but might not be right, i need to cut off the extra alternator grommet, I put a 911 75amp unit in and there is no place in the back for the second grommet on it.

ps can you advise where the 3rd hose for the charcoal canister connects - i have one to the line from the tank, one to the air cleaner, but cannot figure out the single port on the alternator side of the engine bay, there is no place I can see for it to go although I see fan housing noted on some diagrams, there is no port on my fan housing?

wonkipop
@ddire333 .

on a 74 1.8 with the charcoal can in the engine bay this is the port for connecting the blower feed to the can. but.....i don't know when it comes to 74 2.0s. someone else with a 74 with engine bay can would be able to confirm. (if it is the port would be open and a little sleeve is used that presses in to the port and the hose to do the connection).

later 2.0 L 912E uses this port for the can. though they are L jet 2.0s they do have the can in the engine bay. i think a feed off the other side of the fan was used on cars with the can up front near the fuel tank?

Click to view attachment
L-Jet914
Nice work so far. Amazing progress. I've never seen a Type 2 Bus/Transporter fan grill installed on a 914.Nice way to keep debris out.
ddire333
Got the reg plate friday so time to get out on the road, boy was was itching to!!

So got about 30 break-in miles done today. Still have to get alignment done so taking it easy but so far so good. Gearbox works well up and down all gears and the engine is putting well, giving it lots of short pulls from 2-4.5k rpm. Think I still have small bit air still in the brakes as they firm up on second pump, but have no leaks.

Will drive as much as I can before putting away in a week or so for the winter.

Will finish the interior in the spring and drive it!!!

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.