Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to tell if these are real Riviera wheels.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GeorgeKopf
Does anybody know how I can tell if these are real Riviera Wheels or cheap knock offs?Click to view attachment

Thanks.

George
Rand
I didn't know they made Riviera knockoffs. They are not the most desirable wheels. But I kinda like them with the centers and paddles blacked out and the rims bright.
bdstone914
QUOTE(GeorgeKopf @ Mar 14 2021, 04:57 PM) *

Does anybody know how I can tell if these are real Riviera Wheels or cheap knock offs?Click to view attachment

Thanks.

George

There were several makers of Riviera wheels. I don't know that any were better than others.
djway
IIRC the raised center silver sections on each spoke had a rounded edge on the originals.
Coondog
Why.......... headbang.gif Rivieras were the cheap knockoffs...... av-943.gif

Riviera rims for sale $5.00 each
Original Riviera rims for sale $5.50 each

Joking aside, there were a lot of 914s running around with them. I wonder how many people replaced the Fuchs with Rivieras.... idea.gif

I had a 73 and a 75 with them and told myself I would never buy another 914 if it had Rivieras.
sixnotfour
those are later versions... lip has a groove early ones had flat lip..
wonkipop
c'mon, rivieras were the sh$t back in the 70s?

every second 914 i saw in chicago in 89 was running them.

they have 5 spokes,
somehow the idea of 4 spoke fuchs didn't gel with the usa (or anyones?) mind set on how many spokes a wheel should have?

.....hence they were everywhere. hard as that is to understand now.

i absolutely hated them, but i have softened up and now don't mind them.
kind of a period piece. beer.gif beer3.gif beerchug.gif
too many beers.
The used 1975 I bought in 1985 already had them. Around then I was out driving when a brother in a VW Beetle pulled up to me and asked where I got them. He knew them by name, which I didn't at the time.

My current car also came with strange heavy wheels but I kind of like them now.
TargaToy
I believe the later ones, pictured, have a VW offset. The Rivs with the flat lips (where the weights would mount) are offset more correctly for a 914--or so I seem to recall. My car had the less desirable VW ones. You can't run a very wide tire on them at all--maybe 165mm.
Cairo94507
Sorry, I am with Greg on this one. I have never been a fan of that wheel. Now the mini light wheels, that's another story all together. beerchug.gif
brant
The design originated from “form vee”
I’m not clear if that was the product name or company
I believe VW North America possibly commissioned the wheel

They were built around 1969
They were sold on vw bugs as a package to commemorate the formula vee racing class within the scca. A class based on VW running gear
I believe the bugs had a side stripe...

They were copied after that
The original is technically “form vee”
All the rest are Crappy heavy casting Rivieras

Most people have no knowledge of the original versions
They have no special value

I’m hoping to complete my set but But only like the original versions due to its history
914sgofast2
Those are called “Formula Vee” are were made before the Rivieras. The Rivieras were a knock-off of the Formula Vee design, but changed slightly to avoid design infringement issues. I believe the Formula Vee wheels are lighter than the Riviera wheels. I have a set of the Formula Vee wheels on my 1970 1.7L car. The wheels are 5 1/2J x 15.”
johnhora
This is a set I have of early ones for VW bug....4.5x15...they would fit under the fender with out rubbing...
I'm trying to find an article I have on the Riviera....I think Dave Darling wrote one...

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=785
123]
johnhora
more stuff...

The Company was PLM....Pacific ? ?
I can't remember still looking for article

You could buy them from JC Whitney and other

Gees...I'm so old...use to shop via catalogs biggrin.gif
brant
Nice patent
I had not seen that before

Notice the patent shows no raised panel on the paddle.
Similar to the picture I attached
jd74914
I'm shocked someone spent the money patenting that design...not really much novelty.
Steve
Back in the late 70's i ran these rims. I liked them much better than the Riviera Rims
Click to view attachment
johnhora
Correct Brant smooth paddles...you have the very early ones with the smooth paddles...they are lighter than the later ones....the later ones have the raised area on the paddles
I'm still looking for that write up on these...what the heck did I call it when filing ????
brant
Now I’m curious as to what stamping is on the back of mine.

We got 20 inches of snow yesterday
But I’m going to dig a path to the shed and shovel out the door to see today
johnhora
OK here you go...the original were made of magnesium alloy and smooth paddle and a later version were made of aluminum alloy....

I have 3 Riviera Wheels marked on back:
4.5x15 / Patent # D216507 / PLM / Meets SEMA SPECS 5-1
4x130 Bolt Pattern...Backspace 3 ⅞ “

Riviera 15" x 5.5" alloy wheels (aka "Formula Vee" or "G.T. Mag Type")

This type of wheel was originally a VW Dealer installed option package from the Formula Vee accessory range. They were manufactured by Portland's Whitney Industries, Inc. and designed by co-owner Michael Gibbons. The actual casting was done by Pacific Light Metals Foundry from A356-T6 tempered alloy, a special aluminum-magnesium-beryllium-titanium alloy. "Lightweight and very strong."

They were originally made for the Riviera Motors owned Volkswagen Dealerships, a Beaverton, Oregon based regional distributor. Orig. part #X601 011

4 x 130 mm bolt pattern fits 1968-79 Bug, 1971-79 Super Beetle, 1968-74 Ghia, 1966-73 Type 3, may also fit other years and models with the use of wheel adapters.

In the USA Formula Vee magnesium alloy wheels were manufactured by Whitney Industries, Inc., designed by partner/owner Michael Gibbons and made for the Riviera Motors of Oregon owned Volkswagen Dealerships in 1968. Later made available to all US VW Dealers as part of the Formula Vee range – listed as the ‘GT Mag Type’. The casting was done by Pacific Light Metals Foundry from A356-T6 tempered alloy, a special aluminum-magnesium-beryllium-titanium alloy – lightweight and very strong. From 1972 Superior Industries ‘Turtlebacks’ were available.

They appeared in the 1970 VW ACCESSORIES BROCHURE and were called "MAG OR GT MAG TYPE" and later reproduced by Pacific-Italia as "RIVIERA".

Click to view attachment
brant
Here is a link to a 1970 ad

No Raised part of the paddle in the ad
Form vee
johnhora
Brant correct the early wheels are smooth like yours

Click to view attachment
brant
Thin pedals on the back

They need blasting before I can read any stampings
VoPo914
My 1970 Formula Vee has the original VW Formula Vee accessory wheels.
burton73
Note the clean ones on my 75 car. Plus look at the 70 911s mirrors. I like them.

Bob B
Click to view attachment
johnhora
Bob and VoPo914...those are very nice cars!

VoPo914 you even have the vent hood scoop and FV horns...so cool
are your wheels 4.5 or 5.5 width?

Brant definitely early ones...those are very nice
wonkipop
great information guys.

originals look fantastic.
nice to find out they were legit vw usa options at the beginning.

vw australia had an option mag wheel at around the same time.
different design - made here.
super rare now to find a set for a bug.

makes sense to me now how the wheel, even in later less pure form, found its way on to 14/4s.

one of the english converted crayfords cars i last saw in the late 80s had an english alloy aftermarket wheel on it that was very similar to the original version of the riviera. not the same but like it. very good looking. never seen it on another car, 914 or otherwise.

@burton73
those mirrors are great.
everyone tore those off their early to mid 70s 911s down here and "updated" them with later 80s type 30 or 40 years ago.
VoPo914
QUOTE(johnhora @ Mar 15 2021, 02:20 PM) *

Bob and VoPo914...those are very nice cars!

VoPo914 you even have the vent hood scoop and FV horns...so cool
are your wheels 4.5 or 5.5 width?

Brant definitely early ones...those are very nice

Thanks johnhora, the VW Formula Vee wheels are 5.5" wide and the car has all
the Formula Vee parts!
johnhora
You're very welcome VoPo914...that is one GREAT looking VW...it's so nice....is it Yukon Yellow?
TargaToy
They are certainly period-correct but I still don't like the tire size limitations they present. The PO of my car had purchased them in gold which picked up nicely on the engine cover lettering. I'm using them for rollers until the car is ready for the road again and then selling them. Coming one day to a classified section near you!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

VoPo914
QUOTE(johnhora @ Mar 15 2021, 04:43 PM) *

You're very welcome VoPo914...that is one GREAT looking VW...it's so nice....is it Yukon Yellow?

Yes, Yukon Yellow!
Costa05
QUOTE(VoPo914 @ Mar 15 2021, 01:55 PM) *

My 1970 Formula Vee has the original VW Formula Vee accessory wheels.

I have these same vintage FV wheels as spares. They need a little TLC to get a clean satin finish though. Any tips on maintenance as yours look very clean compared to mine? They are just half pound heavier than my 2.0 alloy fuchs wheels.
QUOTE(burton73 @ Mar 15 2021, 12:02 PM) *

Note the clean ones on my 75 car. Plus look at the 70 911s mirrors. I like them.

Bob B
Click to view attachment

They look good on your car. Your picture triggers positive associations for me, though my 75 was never as nice as yours.
GeorgeKopf
Mine are stamped with AEWC (American Eagle Wheel Corporation) and I put them on ebay.

Click to view attachment

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-Riviera-W...WC/274733700499

Click to view attachment

George

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.