Full Version: SOLD! Nice OEM Steering Wheel with Batwing horn pad
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
driver27
Hi all,
SOLD!
edit:
$225 + shipping
See latest post for details! headbang.gif

Selling a really nice OEM steering wheel with batwing horn pad.
Part number 914-347-809-00 with date 12/73
According to early911Sregistry this makes it a ‘74 914s, sunk hub/ faux leather

Excellent shape
Outer grip and stitching are perfect
Looks to have been reconditioned at some point (see closeup photos of black spokes, edges look to have been touched up)
Batwing horn pad is in excellent shape

Cash if local. Otherwise, Paypal ok.
Located in San Fernando Valley but will deliver within reasonable distance.

Thanks for looking!

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=785
051]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid
=785055]
davehg
Will this fit a 70-71 -4 car? I thought their was a difference in the later wheels?
mepstein
QUOTE(davehg @ Mar 15 2021, 12:11 AM) *

Will this fit a 70-71 -4 car? I thought their was a difference in the later wheels?

It will fit with an early plastic hub. The splines are the same though the backside of an early hub is flat and not chamfered so the fit isn't 100% perfect.

This wheel doesn't really have stitching or leatherette. It's moulded foam.
driver27
Thanks mepstein!
I was actually going to refer to one of your previous posts about early vs late wheels...
And yes, upon closer inspection its not really stitching but is in fact moulded.
Tom_T
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 15 2021, 04:54 AM) *

QUOTE(davehg @ Mar 15 2021, 12:11 AM) *

It will fit with an early plastic hub. The splines are the same though the backside of an early hub is flat and not chamfered so the fit isn't 100% perfect.

This wheel doesn't really have stitching or leatherette. It's moulded foam.

Look again Mark - it does have stitching, but it has the wear holes of plastic at spots because it's a poly-vinyl wrap.

The date stamp is 12/73, which is 1st half 74 MY - & 74 was when they switched to fake leather "Leatherette" wrapped option steering wheels for 74-76 as part of the many steps to keep the cost & price down as the W. German Mark escalated against the dollar, causing German car prices to skyrocket 73-80.

Other cost saving steps were black plastic door sills, thinner leatherette upholstery with heat seamed seat/back inserts (instead of the 70-73 stiched inserts), plastic gauge faces & VW's inane single light TS indicator at the Tach - and making just about everything optional at extra cost, in order to keep the base prices as low as possible against their UK & USA competitors.

During 72 - 80 the Corvette cost less than even a base model 914/4 1.7L/1.8L - as my Vette loving Uncle continually pointed out to me back when I got my `73 914-2.0 fully optioned "914S" used for $4500 in `75, that: "You coulda gotten a nice used 'Vette for the price of that little Porsche 4 cylinder!" biggrin.gif

This looks like a pretty good condition original 74-76 option Leatherette wrapped steering wheel, which should fit 73 MY too IIRC on the 73 hub.

GLWTS & welcome.png

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
Nope. There was no letherette. Just leather, hard rubber or foam. I've owned every model number wheel that Porsche put on our cars except a real 914-6GT. Nothing against the foam wheels. They look really close to a stitched wheel and feel nice on your hands. They are often mis identified for a nice leather wheel.
GeorgeKopf
I'll take it if it is still available. PM on its way.

DC_neun_vierzehn
Sold?
driver27
Still available. PM sent.
driver27
Update:
When storing the wheel the other day I absent-mindedly plugged in the horn wire. Today I went to grab the batwing from the wheel and broke the tab like a dummy. headbang.gif
I got the Dremel out and think I’ve made a worthwhile repair. Should work as intended.
Asking price lowered to $225 + shipping. confused24.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
johnpompa
PM sent
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.