Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Manfufacturors for outer console?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Boothy
Hey all!

After getting up close and personal with the passenger side I'm replacing the wheelhouse (par for the course) and the outer console.

Mine looked ok but after I unbolted the suspension (which was pretty easy, I could poke my finger up between the bolts -kinda expected that.

I have a guy on thesamba out west who will cut one out for me so that's good. My understanding is that, unlike other parts from RD, no one re-manufactures these. Is that right?

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Correct.

Hopefully Pete will put it on the schedule. @peteyd

@Boothy - Do you have McMark suspension console jigs?
Tom_T
If your Samba guy isn't Bruce Stone (bdstone on here), then you might want to check with him as to what he may have on hand.

He's a member vendor on here & great parts source.

If you've got time, then they occasionally come up as NOS on evil-bay, here in our classifieds, TheSamba, etc.

Also check with Auto Atlanta in GA, & Rich Bontempi at HPH (High Performance House) in Redwood City, LA Dismantler, Parts Heaven in SF Bay Area, etc. who deal in used parts AA & HPH may have the random NOS if you really want new, but NOS of NLA is usually pricey).

Best to check multiple sources, condition & prices.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we could easily make it if there was enough demand, but just is not, of course we make the inner console
Superhawk996
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 15 2021, 06:16 PM) *

we could easily make it if there was enough demand, but just is not, of course we make the inner console

You and Pete probably know better than I what the demand is or isn't.

However, I can say that I would have bought one rather than piece together mine which was salvaged from my chassis. I had to fortify it and replace a bad bobbin that came to me pre-stripped with an EZ out embedded in it.

Click to view attachment

I'm still not totally happy with the mount but to take it off again will insure that it is nothing but swiss cheese.

Would gladly pay for a outer mount just like I glady paid for the inner rather than try to cobble something together.

Not 1987 anymore and these cars aren't getting better with time.
914werke
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 15 2021, 12:20 PM) *
Correct.
Hopefully Pete will put it on the schedule.
@peteyd
@Boothy
Not before he gets around to producing the "ties" I hope headbang.gif
BTW I have one available smile.gif
Boothy
Thanks everyone!

Checking with HPH and BDStone. Only want to do this once.

You mentioned "McMark suspension console jigs"? Not familiar but I'll search the site. I've seen what everyone says about making several marks. I was going to measure from the rear of the console to a place on the wheel well.
peteyd
I have made a list for new tooling we want to produce for the 914.

Finishing the suspension reinforcements that we started is a priority. I also have a tool made that stamps the lower portion of the outer suspension console. The part we were able to stamp was not up to my standards, so I didn't make it available to the market yet.

So, in summary, these parts should be available in 6-8 months. I know that I have been delaying these pieces too long, so when we wrap up all the 356 pieces we are working on, I will get to them.

For those of you that haven't seen the progression of our 356 parts, this is what we are working on. We have made tooling to stamp every piece on this speedster. sometimes to finish a panel it take up to 3 stamping tools! So this is why it takes so long for sheetmetal panels to come to the market.

Click to view attachment

Pete
914werke
QUOTE(peteyd @ Mar 17 2021, 07:53 AM) *
I have made a list for new tooling we want to produce for the 914.
Finishing the suspension reinforcements that we started is a priority. Pete

Awesome news! Thanks Pete for the support & advocacy of the 914 by R&D aktion035.gif
sholman5
QUOTE(Boothy @ Mar 15 2021, 03:11 PM) *

Hey all!

After getting up close and personal with the passenger side I'm replacing the wheelhouse (par for the course) and the outer console.

Mine looked ok but after I unbolted the suspension (which was pretty easy, I could poke my finger up between the bolts -kinda expected that.

I have a guy on thesamba out west who will cut one out for me so that's good. My understanding is that, unlike other parts from RD, no one re-manufactures these. Is that right?

Click to view attachment

I purchased Lt and rt outer consoles from @bdstone months ago. They were in great shape rust free and priced fairly. Definitely contact him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.