Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Caliper Removal HELP NEEDED!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
Car is a '74 914-4. My rear calipers are the type that has the inner venting adjustment recessed into the suspension trailing arm. I have removed the pads, brake line, retaining bolts, and emergency brake cable, but there is not enough clearance to remove the caliper off of the rotor. It gets stuck at the access hole in the trailing arm and the rotor shroud. I don't see any easy way to remove the disc shroud. Book says caliper should slide right off. What am I doing wrong?? Getting desperate!! Any help greatly appreciated!

Ansbacher

9146C
The (original) rear caliper adjustment plug fits flush to the caliper body, and should not cause any clearance issues.

Is it possible that someone may have replaced the original plugs with a bolt (that is now protruding into the access hole of the trailing arm)?
mepstein
QUOTE(9146C @ Mar 15 2021, 05:02 PM) *

The (original) rear caliper adjustment plug fits flush to the caliper body, and should not cause any clearance issues.

Is it possible that someone may have replaced the original plugs with a bolt (that is now protruding into the access hole of the trailing arm)?

agree.gif I did this not too long ago. With stock calipers and hardware, it all works fine. Figure out what you have.
barefoot
yes, if someone replaced the OEM cap with a longer bolt, you'll have to un-screw it first, thru the hole in the trailing arm. Look in there with a strong light to se what you have. standard RH thread.
Ansbacher
Bingo! Some PO did replace the flush plug with a longer substitute 10mm bolt. Once removed the caliper slid out like a greased pig. What is the possibility that my trailing arm will hit that bolt someday?? Thanks everyone!!!!

Ansbacher
GregAmy
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Mar 15 2021, 08:14 PM) *
What is the possibility that my trailing arm will hit that bolt someday??

Zero. It moves with the trailing arm.

This is probably what you have. I prefer these because the Allen heads are small and can strip. Just remove it before you remove the caliper...

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/PELB...m?pn=PEL-BRC-02
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.