Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Oil cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tyfighter123
Hey Guys I just purchased a real six and I am rebuilding the engine. I am wondering what oil cooler to use? I only see repros available, I do have the original one but don't want to reuse it. Any advise?

Thanks
Tyler
mepstein
Why don’t you want to reuse the original.
Luke M
Why don't you want to reuse the cooler? The problem is it needs to take that 90 degree bend forward to clear the control arm. Otherwise you are left with a modified version using a 911 cooler. Have it sent out for cleaning and testing. Reinstall it and go.
IronHillRestorations
I'd send it out for cleaning and testing. I haven't used them, but a quick search found Pacific Oil Cooler Service $175 with a two week turn around
tyfighter123
The engine was in pretty rough shape, it had been sitting with water in it for awhile, not sure I want to risk a new engine with an old cooler. Does it hurt the value to not use the original? What are your thoughts?
mepstein
It’s just a replaceable part. If you don’t want to use the original, you could buy a new six cooler or convert a 911 cooler and if you ever sell the engine, include the old cooler with the sale.

Lots of the original parts are replaced when you rebuild an engine.
Luke M
QUOTE(tyfighter123 @ Mar 15 2021, 05:10 PM) *

The engine was in pretty rough shape, it had been sitting with water in it for awhile, not sure I want to risk a new engine with an old cooler. Does it hurt the value to not use the original? What are your thoughts?

Find a good replacement 914-6 cooler. I thought someone was making a new copy of the org cooler? Worth a look.
tyfighter123
Ok thanks for the response. Next question is who makes a good one? I see them at sierra madre, Patrick motorsports, etc. Are they all the same or are there better ones?

Luke M
QUOTE(tyfighter123 @ Mar 15 2021, 05:20 PM) *

Ok thanks for the response. Next question is who makes a good one? I see them at sierra madre, Patrick motorsports, etc. Are they all the same or are there better ones?

Think the one PMS sells is Porsche unit. Well made by Behr for Porsche.
mepstein
As far as I know, they are all just selling the Behr. That’s the only brand I would purchase.
tyfighter123
Ok thanks guys.
gms
or try this
914-6 Oil Cooler
raynekat
QUOTE(gms @ Mar 16 2021, 06:58 PM) *

or try this
914-6 Oil Cooler

That's the one I got for my 914-6 conversion.
I've got a 2.7MFI engine in mine and so far have only needed this onboard engine cooler. No need for a front cooler, so it works very well.
My temps have been very good.

It's from Stoddard.

Click to view attachment
gereed75
Is this the same as the stock cooler or Does this cooler provide increased cooling capacity??
Krieger
I'd check with the dealer. About 5 years ago I bought a brand new one online from Sonnen Motors in Marin. I think it was $925. Surprised the heck out of me.
raynekat
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Mar 16 2021, 08:31 PM) *

Is this the same as the stock cooler or Does this cooler provide increased cooling capacity??

The Stoddard cooler has a "high efficiency core"....whatever that means.
Might be worth calling them directly to get the straight poop on whether or not it provides increased cooling.
I assumed it did or would be at least equivalent to a factory unit.
larryM
fwiw i sold my spare tested real-6 cooler for $1000 3 yrs ago;

i used a Ollie's mod'd 911 cooler on my 3.2 upgrade which cost 'way under 1/3 the -6 price; iirc the 911 cooler had a slightly larger inlet pipe
brant
congrats Tyler !!!

very cool...
your going to need a bigger garage soon

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.