Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Front yard mechanic
Are there any threads on making your own fuel lines? Stainless not important to me. Also what size is best. Thx smash.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Mar 15 2021, 08:47 PM) *

Are there any threads on making your own fuel lines? Stainless not important to me. Also what size is best. Thx smash.gif

I put a set in my car before Chris Foley started selling his.

http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_fuellines_ss.php

I would just buy one of Chris' kits now.

Clay
willieg
I have done it both ways, making my own and using a set from Tangerine Racing. Tangerine Racing has all the bends already made and they fit great. Tangerine is my choice.
brant
I've made a few sets... before the CFR ones were available.

long brake lines, from NAPA
2 different sizes
a tubing bender...

pull the old ones
match the bends
reinstall
PlaysWithCars
I did a combination of both. Bought a set of stainless lines for in the tunnel, then built my own from NAPA brake lines to connect from the firewall to the MFI installation on the -6 in the engine compartment.

Not a big deal to bend your own, but much simpler and not much more expensive to buy pre-bent. I bought years ago from a member that was only doing tunnel fuel lines but I'm not sure he is still offering them.
wonkipop
i bent my own up out of mild steel brake lines.
i had to, right hand drive car so the kits don't work at the upper end of tunnel.
it was kind of therapy.
its all doable.
when i pulled the plastic lines out they had assumed the "form". so i laid them out on the floor, did some measurements of tunnel etc and got them to work with trial and error.
its a bit tricky feeding them in, but i managed to do it without having to take wheels off etc. had the car up on stands. i reckon it took me about three days of screwing around to get it all right and get them both to fit in.

the hardest bit to do is the bends where they come out of firewall and then have to do the big turn along the back of the firewall. the supply line is bigger diam than the return line and i found it pretty hard to get the bends all nice and rounded without collapsing them.

mild steel is good for the following reason. if you have the misfortune to have a crash (god forbid) then its less likely to fracture. and the fuel lines are running through the passenger compartment. (which might be why they were plastic originally).
mepstein
I used the Tangerine racing lines in 3 of my cars. With the engine out, it takes me 5-10 minutes to run the lines. Easy even for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.