Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint for springs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rufus
I’ve painted many car parts over the years, but never springs. Wondering what other’s experience is ... is something special needed to avoid paint cracking / flaking, or are normal paints, like Krylon ok for this?

Thanks for sharing your experience...

Bob
Curbandgutter
I think that the only thing that really works in the long haul is powder coated.
barefoot
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Mar 16 2021, 03:44 PM) *

I think that the only thing that really works in the long haul is powder coated.

I doubt that OEM paint was power coat ant it's lasted 50 yrs,
my 2 sets were in good condition after cleaning.
Rand
Depends on who is looking at your springs.
Rand
Tell us your goal. Spring colors indicate things. You want that or bling?
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 16 2021, 04:29 PM) *

Tell us your goal. Spring colors indicate things. You want that or bling?

Bling on a spring ? your a poet and don't know it. Black is the only color that should ever be on a spring
bbrock
I used VHT Rollbar and Chassis Paint on mine. Haven't driven it yet but have compressed the springs several times to install and adjust shocks. Paint is plenty flexible. We'll see how well it holds up to rock chips etc.

Click to view attachment
Rufus
Definitely not looking for bling. Black’s what I want.
Rand
I was poking fun at the idea of people looking at them. If they aren't for show, what is the point of painting them at all? It's not like they need it (or want it!). Gives new meaning to unsprung weight! Oh weight, is it?
bbrock
QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 16 2021, 05:53 PM) *

I was poking fun at the idea of people looking at them. If they aren't for show, what is the point of painting them at all? It's not like they need it (or want it!).

Because our girls deserve to feel pretty. beerchug.gif
Rand
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 16 2021, 04:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 16 2021, 05:53 PM) *

I was poking fun at the idea of people looking at them. If they aren't for show, what is the point of painting them at all? It's not like they need it (or want it!).

Because our girls deserve to feel pretty. beerchug.gif

Trust me, your girl does NOT want you to paint her panties.
(unless you have a story to tell......)

[definition of bling updated]
bdstone914
Eibach shot peens and powder coats their springs. Paint is important to stop rust and possible spring failure. It is a big problem on BMWs.
Montreal914
Nice picture smile.gif

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 16 2021, 05:14 PM) *

I used VHT Rollbar and Chassis Paint on mine. Haven't driven it yet but have compressed the springs several times to install and adjust shocks. Paint is plenty flexible. We'll see how well it holds up to rock chips etc.

Click to view attachment

Mikey914
Powder coat after proper prep. Iron phosphate works after sand blasting work.
Curbandgutter
Powder coat.........it's flexible. See this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-BvhrFhmpw
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 16 2021, 06:34 PM) *

Eibach shot peens and powder coats their springs. Paint is important to stop rust and possible spring failure. It is a big problem on BMWs.

agree.gif
Rufus
Thanks for the great input, guys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.