Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Have Red key want black as well
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swb911s
Need black key have red key for car... How do I do this and who does it?
VegasRacer
About twenty bucks on eBay.
914_7T3
Buy it here and take it to be cut from the red one at a locksmith.

https://www.aasesales.com/products/h5f-b52-20i-101724

This is not a valet key and will open frunk handle, glove box and rear trunk.
bbrock
You can also get black after market blanks that are wide at the bottom and narrow at the top (opposite of the genuine keys) and don't have PORSCHE stamped on them. They are about $5. Just search for 'Porsche key blank' on ebay and you'll find plenty of options for either. I have both and they work the same. Most local locksmiths will have blanks that work like the black key but are all metal so look quite a bit different. Depends on how cheap you are or how authentic you want to be.

My locksmith cut a master blank from the key code for me that is just cut on one side so it doesn't operate, but will always have a fresh, unworn profile to use to cut additional keys.
I found black blanks at 914Rubber for $15 + shipping. Aftermarket, I think. Any reason not to use these?
VegasRacer
elvira.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(98101 @ Mar 16 2021, 10:16 PM) *

I found black blanks at 914Rubber for $15 + shipping. Aftermarket, I think. Any reason not to use these?

I use in both 914 and 911 application no problem. Unless you want to pay extra.
BENBRO02
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Mar 17 2021, 02:01 AM) *

elvira.gif

I’ve heard that some locksmiths won’t cut a steel key because it’s harder and damages their keycutters. I’ve also heard that the steel keys wear the lock tumblers out faster. Not sure if these are facts or fiction. I bought one and had it cut.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Mar 17 2021, 11:09 AM) *

I’ve heard that some locksmiths won’t cut a steel key

I had to call five before I found someone to do the job.
bbrock
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Mar 17 2021, 03:31 PM) *

QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Mar 17 2021, 11:09 AM) *

I’ve heard that some locksmiths won’t cut a steel key

I had to call five before I found someone to do the job.

Well I've learned something. This got me curious so I inspected the keys I have. Here are most of them. From left to right is: master blank cut only on one side so it always has a sharp profile to cut other keys from, key cut from blank typically found at your local locksmith, two after market keys from different sources, and finally, the OEM key. You can tell that the keys from the local locksmith blanks are plated (nickel?) brass blanks by looking at the cut edges. The rest of the keys are silver all the way through, BUT the aftermarket keys are magnetic and the OEM key is NOT. I'm not sure why the OEM key is silver all the way through because I have an old OEM key that has brass show over much of the surface where the plating has worn off. My locksmith didn't complain about cutting any of them but it appears you get what you pay for. Looks like for function, OEM and local locksmith blanks might be the better bet for a soft metal key.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.