Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 Suspension...which fit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeInMunich
...welded to the strut tower...sorry, no photos...so that we could have the 944 turbo Brembo brakes...TÜV says no...no such welding can be approved that can lead to death if failure occurs, quasi.

So I want great brakes on this car up front and need to get parts and work done fast. Buyer is waiting and I need money bad, thanks to COVID destroying my tour business, Mike‘s Bike Tours of Munich and Bus Bavaria Neuschwanstein Castle Tours.

Would greatly appreciate a few of the more knowledgeable here taking a. Omens to recommend a quick way to go here...either 914 struts and possible 911 brake upgrade....if at all possible, or which (entire) 911 suspensions FIT or if I can combine 911 strut towers with the 914 suspension...??

Thanks gentlemen!

With best regards,

Mike in Munich
Robarabian
See this thread..

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=105728

Its the everything you want to know about suspension conversion
MikeInMunich
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Mar 17 2021, 05:31 AM) *

See this thread..

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=105728

Its the everything you want to know about suspension conversion

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and thanks to Eric for writing up that valuable thread!
gms
I bought 911 Bilstein struts with the 3.5" spacing. drill the Brembo for the 3.5" spacing and there you have it
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
MikeInMunich
Thanks for that Glenn!
MikeInMunich
QUOTE(gms @ Mar 17 2021, 06:17 AM) *

I bought 911 Bilstein struts with the 3.5" spacing. drill the Brembo for the 3.5" spacing and there you have it
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Are these 944 Turbo calipers??
MikeInMunich
QUOTE(gms @ Mar 17 2021, 06:17 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Are these 944 Turbo calipers??
gms
these are 944 Turbo rears, I think they came on a 964 C2/C4 alsoClick to view attachment
mgp4591
944 Turbo calipers are 3.75" center to center while your strut ears are only 3.50". If you want to take 1/16" off the inside, you can do it and it will work but I can see how officially it can't be sanctioned by automotive engineers. I know others in the group who have done this...besides me.
twistedstang
Are the 951 calipers a better caliper than the Std boxster brakes? Seems way easier and way cheaper for the modern boxsters.
sechszylinder
Hi Mike,

whats wrong with the standard A Caliper in the front with 3,5 spacing and 24 mm brake discs?
This is the biggest stock setup which cames with 911 3.2 carreras, good enough for atleast 250ps , 250km/h while having a car weight of about 1200kg.

I really cannot recommend redrilling 944 turbo calipers, firstly, you will never get Tüv with this setup and on the other hand the 944 Turbo caliper has a couple of drawbacks. Problem is, e.g that this caliper needs 28mm discs in the front, while your able to mount up to 24mm on stock 911 hubs, without modifications. This will lead to loosing of 2mm on both sides. Next point is that you will have a hard time to find a nice set, since they are mostly severely corroded, which makes them in most case useless.
Shortly, with german words: „totaler Murks, der zu Recht kein Tüv bekommt.“

911 setup with A caliper and 24mm looks stock but is vastly supereor over the stock setup, while beeing already an overkill for that car.

Br
Benno aus Berlin smilie_flagge6.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(twistedstang @ Mar 20 2021, 04:27 AM) *

Are the 951 calipers a better caliper than the Std boxster brakes? Seems way easier and way cheaper for the modern boxsters.

I put a set of 944 Turbo calipers on my car when I first built it. They were fine, but later converted it to Boxster calipers. The Boxster calipers are already sized correctly for a mid engine car, and they didn't require me welding new tabs on the rear trailing arms. Like the TUV.. that worried me.

Boxster calipers are modern, mid engine brakes that improve the 914 braking performance substantially.

Clay

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.