Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ben's 1.8 muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stltri
Here's some feedback on Ben's 1.8 muffler. Also wanted some input regarding fitment.

Finally received the muffler last week. Unfortunately, UPS placed a small dent noted upon unboxing despite the amount of packing inside the box. Not noticeable and small once installed. Just annoying. Not sure worth the hassle dealing with UPS. Came with the bolts and gaskets.

Sound is louder than I expected especially on startup/cold. Once warmed up, at idle its quiet. But at acceleration and high rpms (4-5k), it howls. Very sporty sound. This is not the quiet version after all. Theres a musical tone to the muffler that reminds me of the Scart muffler. Sounds heavenly even cruising at 3-4k rpm.

Overall finish looks solid. Flanges are flat, true, and quite thick. Fit was bit tight under the heat shield. had to bend the shield slightly to prevent any contact. As Ben recommended, no need for the GT straps and bolt straight to the H/E and stock bracket. The flange/inlet pipes were short which made tightening the bolts a bit challenging. According to Ben, this is the result of the the longer design of the 1.8 H/E. Needed a combination of wrenches, sockets, crows foot, etc. I also staggered the direction of the bolts. I suppose can use a shorter bolt but the supplied ones work.

My only issue is the length of the outlet pipe. Was planning to put a stock rear valance (which I do not yet have), but looking at it, I do not think the stock valance cut out will line up/fit with the outlet pipe. Pipe looks too long. I was hoping to get some input from others.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
bdstone914
[quote name='Stltri' date='Mar 17 2021, 07:36 AM' post='2900256']
Here's some feedback on Ben's 1.8 muffler. Also wanted some input regarding fitment.

Finally received the muffler last week. Unfortunately, UPS placed a small dent noted upon unboxing despite the amount of packing inside the box. Not noticeable and small once installed. Just annoying. Not sure worth the hassle dealing with UPS. Came with the bolts and gaskets.

Sound is louder than I expected especially on startup/cold. Once warmed up, at idle its quiet. But at acceleration and high rpms (4-5k), it howls. Very sporty sound. This is not the quiet version after all. Theres a musical tone to the muffler that reminds me of the Scart muffler. Sounds heavenly even cruising at 3-4k rpm.

Overall finish looks solid. Flanges are flat, true, and quite thick. Fit was bit tight under the heat shield. had to bend the shield slightly to prevent any contact. As Ben recommended, no need for the GT straps and bolt straight to the H/E and stock bracket. The flange/inlet pipes were short which made tightening the bolts a bit challenging. According to Ben, this is the result of the the longer design of the 1.8 H/E. Needed a combination of wrenches, sockets, crows foot, etc. I also staggered the direction of the bolts. I suppose can use a shorter bolt but the supplied ones work.

@Stltri
I have a rear valance in Riverside if you are interested in buying or borrowing it. It looks to me like the tip is too far to the left and out too far. If it is wrong it would help ben to adjust accordingly.
mb911
[quote name='bdstone914' date='Mar 17 2021, 09:24 AM' post='2900290']
[quote name='Stltri' date='Mar 17 2021, 07:36 AM' post='2900256']

@Stltri
I have a rear valance in Riverside if you are interested in buying or borrowing it. It looks to me like the tip is too far to the left and out too far. If it is wrong it would help ben to adjust accordingly.
[/quote]

A note on the tail pipe is that we modeled off of a sample provided to us with not 1.7 or 1.8. Cars here that was our only option.. everything else noted was as described when we laid out to build them so it should not be a surprise.. only made 6 of them so not much of a test bed yet.
Stltri
@bdstone914 - might be able to swing by on the weekend to get a valance and maybe a few other things while I’m there. I’ll let you know. Thanks.

@mb911 - would it be difficult to adjust the length/position of the outlet pipe to accommodate a stock valance?
mb911
QUOTE(Stltri @ Mar 17 2021, 11:11 AM) *

@bdstone914 - might be able to swing by on the weekend to get a valance and maybe a few other things while I’m there. I’ll let you know. Thanks.

@mb911 - would it be difficult to adjust the length/position of the outlet pipe to accommodate a stock valance?

Actually yes for one thats completed.
pete000
Looks like a great system for the 1.7-1.8 cars. Not a lot of choices. The fitment is always a key thing with the stock valance. My Triad was a touch condition on my 1.8 car.
bretth
Please post a video (or audio) of the sound. Would love to hear some revs. I am all about the exhaust note and Ben's work always looks amazing.
mb911
QUOTE(bretth @ Mar 17 2021, 11:36 AM) *

Please post a video (or audio) of the sound. Would love to hear some revs. I am all about the exhaust note and Ben's work always looks amazing.

@middlemotors did a bunch of back to back soundclips and videos of my mufflers and others on instagram and facebook?
mb911
I wanted to also write a note about shipping. Over the last 5 years I have had 2 mufflers damaged and those 2 happened within the last 4 months. I can assure you nothing has changed on my end. The only thing I can think of is that with increase in shipping across the country that likely UPS and the other shippers are overloaded right now and things are getting damaged a little easier. The insurance is really a scam as they rarely ever pay.. The worst part is I can't make a replacement in most cases because just as with Lumber prices and availability I am experiencing huge lead times on parts and prices are stupid.. I have literally paid people to buy some of my products as of late. That will stop. its kind of the same thing that 914 rubber experienced of the rollbar pads.

Tdskip
Hang in here @mb911 , has to be super frustrating.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Stltri @ Mar 17 2021, 12:11 PM) *

@mb911
Ben,
Which 1.7 muffler did you pattern from? The earky muffler hase a resonator that attaches in the center and the tip aligns with the large hole in the port hole valance. The later 1.7 and 1974-75 1.8 have the same tip orientation as the 2.0l which use the shorter valance with a notch.

@Stltri
It might be easier to cut off the tail pipe about 3 inches from the muffler and have a muffler shop form on to align with the notch in the late valance. Reinstall with muffler clamp.
mb911
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 17 2021, 05:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Stltri @ Mar 17 2021, 12:11 PM) *

@mb911
Ben,
Which 1.7 muffler did you pattern from? The earky muffler hase a resonator that attaches in the center and the tip aligns with the large hole in the port hole valance. The later 1.7 and 1974-75 1.8 have the same tip orientation as the 2.0l which use the shorter valance with a notch.

@Stltri
It might be easier to cut off the tail pipe about 3 inches from the muffler and have a muffler shop form on to align with the notch in the late valance. Reinstall with muffler clamp.

I believe it was an early as you describe. I didnt realize the difference..
Stltri
@Stltri
[/quote]

Seemed more work than I anticipated, like everything else in this car. I thought the muffler was going to be plug and play.

I suppose the first thing to do is get a late rear valance and figure out the next step.
914werke
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 17 2021, 03:50 PM) *
The insurance is really a scam as they rarely ever pay..

Hear, Hear dry.gif
mb911
[quote name='Stltri' date='Mar 17 2021, 05:57 PM' post='2900467']
@Stltri
[/quote]

Seemed more work than I anticipated, like everything else in this car. I thought the muffler was going to be plug and play.

I suppose the first thing to do is get a late rear valance and figure out the next step.
[/quote]

Absolutely no idea what was promised to you.
. These were 100% pushed from the members here and I made them to the sample provided.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.