Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery recommendation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
robkammer
Need to order a battery today for my 74. My typical go-to is a Napa battery. I've had good luck with them in many vehicles and boats. I'm open to a gel battery if that's best for a 914. Any recommendations? The car will always be garaged so rainwater will be pretty rare.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(robkammer @ Mar 18 2021, 06:33 AM) *

Need to order a battery today for my 74. My typical go-to is a Napa battery. I've had good luck with them in many vehicles and boats. I'm open to a gel battery if that's best for a 914. Any recommendations? The car will always be garaged so rainwater will be pretty rare.

I have had excellent service from Optima batteries. I have one in every car, and all the same size. I did that on purpose so I could swap them around if I had an issue.

The gel cell is great for keeping the hell hole intact too.

Clay
930cabman
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 18 2021, 06:25 AM) *

QUOTE(robkammer @ Mar 18 2021, 06:33 AM) *

I have had excellent service from Optima batteries. I have one in every car, and all the same size. I did that on purpose so I could swap them around if I had an issue.

The gel cell is great for keeping the hell hole intact too.

Clay

+1 with Optima. I recently replaced on in our 356 coupe, it had done the job for 14 years.
Sycolyst
Just ordered a NAPA Legend for $129. Also noticed you were from Vermilion, I'm located in Berlin Heights. Small world.
ericoneal
I have an Optima battery going on 10 years now. Heard they moved the plant and quality is not what it used to be, so not sure if I will get another one.
yellowporky
I installed a D36
It was a little tall so I had to reroute the positive battery cable a little bitClick to view attachment
g911
I am also looking at a replacement battery. Is the optima 34R still the preferred battery? Does it have a base similar to the d36 pictured above to clamp in the stock location? I thought I read somewhere that an additional base part “ gm78?” was required to use the stock hold down. Words of wisdom appreciated.
StarBear
Just put in another Optima Red 34R. Have to trim the base sides a bit; comes with hold down adapter. Last one lasted only 2.5+ years but must be a recall unit as FLAPS replaced it 100% without question. Keep your paperwork. Otherwise, Napa Legend for reasonable price options.
g911
Thanks for the quick response. Will be putting it on my to do list.
rjames
I'll cast my vote for an Odyssey AGM battery. The PC925 is smaller and ~5 lbs lighter than the Optima. I've been really happy with mine so far.
PanelBilly
I use Interstate. There's a distributor near my house and they take good care of me
raynekat
Click to view attachment

This is the one I put in my car and that I recommend:

I purchased this AGM battery made by XS Power (model D4700) from Jegs onllne.
$279.99 including shipping plus you need a set of $10 terminals.

Specs:
12-Volt
CA: 760
CCA: 668
Ah: 62, 2000W / 3000W
Max Amps: 2900
Reserve Capacity: 110 Minutes
Weight: 42.2 lbs

It fits perfect in the battery tray and the factory hold down works as it should.
rjames
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jul 6 2021, 12:11 AM) *

Specs:
12-Volt

It fits perfect in the battery tray and the factory hold down works as it should.

Nice that it fits like stock, but that's expensive AND heavy. Yikes.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jul 6 2021, 12:11 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Specs:
12-Volt

Interesting as you came out of an Anti-Gravity iirc?

I've been looking at Anti-Gravity, Odyssey 680 or 925, and Voltphreaks—two suppliers that are expensive (!) and one that seems reasonable for what you get in terms of weight savings. I'm a longtime Optima customer, and thankful as the 2-3 that have been in the car since 1991 probably saved its hell hole years ago.

No pressing need, but very interested in offsetting some of my 2.2-liter engine's added weight. If the engine added ~120lbs, a battery that's 20-30lbs lighter is extremely appealing.
oakdalecurtis
Love my Optima, but hated attaching the special trickle charger every time I came home. These chargers will triple the life of an Optima battery, and keep the battery topped off if I don't drive my teener for a few weeks spell. I hated always having to open the engine bay to connect, so check out my solution from this previous post. Just plugs in under the wheel well, easy to install.....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...6&hl=optima
SirAndy
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jul 6 2021, 10:48 AM) *

Love my Optima, but hated attaching the special trickle charger every time I came home. These chargers will triple the life of an Optima battery, and keep the battery topped off if I don't drive my teener for a few weeks spell. I hated always having to open the engine bay to connect

confused24.gif

I had the same optima (red top) for 15+ years and i have periods where the car sits for months without running.

I had to trickle charge it *once* in all those years because it wouldn't turn over after sitting for many months. Once.
idea.gif

horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 6 2021, 11:09 AM) *

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jul 6 2021, 10:48 AM) *

Love my Optima, but hated attaching the special trickle charger every time I came home. These chargers will triple the life of an Optima battery, and keep the battery topped off if I don't drive my teener for a few weeks spell. I hated always having to open the engine bay to connect

confused24.gif

I had the same optima (red top) for 15+ years and i have periods where the car sits for months without running.

I had to trickle charge it *once* in all those years because it wouldn't turn over after sitting for many months. Once.
idea.gif

Same. 30 years, three Optimas. Not one was ever on a trickle charger, and all have gone at least 10 years. Car sat for weeks and even months at a time.

If I go for a lightweight battery, it'll get a cut-off switch at the battery.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
series 42 bosch

QUOTE(robkammer @ Mar 18 2021, 04:33 AM) *

euro911
I recommend the Odyssey PC-925 too. I had one sit idle for approximately 3 years without a charge on it (mid 2015 ~ mid 2018). In 2018, I charged it with a smart AGM charger for a day and it fired up my 9.5 C/R 2056 just fine. I was so impressed, that I purchased another one for another P-car in 2019.

They're a little smaller than a group 34 battery, but I wouldn't let the small size fool you. Also due to the smaller dimensions, you'd have to modify the restraining method - easy modification though.

They cost around $200. these days.
JamesM
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 6 2021, 12:20 PM) *

I recommend the Odyssey PC-925 too. I had one sit idle for approximately 3 years without a charge on it (mid 2015 ~ mid 2018). In 2018, I charged it with a smart AGM charger for a day and it fired up my 9.5 C/R 2056 just fine. I was so impressed, that I purchased another one for another P-car in 2019.

They're a little smaller than a group 34 battery, but I wouldn't let the small size fool you. Also due to the smaller dimensions, you'd have to modify the restraining method - easy modification though.

They cost around $200. these days.

agree.gif
Only batteries I run in 914s anymore, have cars with both the 680 and the 925, either is fine but for most cases think i prefer the 925.

Get a mount (with or without cutoff switch) from Rennline and dont look back...

https://www.rennline.com/Battery-Mount-Kits/products/169/
Rand
Here we go yet again.

We all loved Optima until the quality started to suffer. Odyssey is the new leader. I like the PC680 but you might want to step it up to the 920 if you run accessories.

There is new tech now that trumps all of these, but we'll see when it is accepted. Don't use lead-acid. We had lithium... Now there's LiFePO4.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.