Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-4 Steering Wheel Changeout--DIY???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
2pointOH
Wanted to find out if anyone recommends changing out a stock steering wheel to a MOMO Commando wheel as a DIY project. Would this be better suited for a mechanic to perform? Any risk in doing this myself? Special tools required? Any chance to damage something in the process?

Bought the wheel and adapter kit and ready to go.

Advise PLEASE...........

Thanks--John
Aaron Cox
very easy.

you need the correct momo hub, and the wheel itself, along with the momo or porsche horn button.

step one, pull the horn pad off the stock wheel by twisting it 45 degrees to the left IIRC
step2, use your 27MM socket and LOOSEN the nut that holds the steering wheel on.
step 3 - to the best of your knowledge, get your 914 wheels pointed straight....
step 4. remove fat nut holding steering wheel on, AGAIN - making sure it is pointed straight.
step 5. use SOME muscle and PULL steering wheel off the splined shaft
step 6 - have a beer.
step 7 - see step 6
step 8 - unscrew the 3 little philips head screws on the back of the stock wheel holding the copper HORN CONTACT RING to the stock wheel.
step 9 - transfer said hornring to new momo hub. route wire through the hole in the momo hub.
step 10 - screw new wheel onto new hub, with 6 inclyuded hex head cap screws.
11 - push hub/wheel assembly onto splined shaft...doing your best to make sure you have it in the correct orientation.
12 - LOOSELY put the nut back on....

drive car to see if the wheel is straight....if not pull off and rotate one or 2 splines in the desired direction....then TIGHTEN the nut. THEN....put horn button on with spade terminal....

DONE

then send a 12 pack of sierra nevada to me beerchug.gif
grantsfo
I agree very easy job. Think I had my stock wheel off and new Momo on within a couple minutes.
olav
I just did it last weekend and took me 30 minutes, I cleaned stuff too. smile.gif

I put in a Montecarlo.

The only thing that I had to deal with was to sand the splines on the hub down a little. I just rolled up some sandpaper and ran it in there a bunch of times till the hub fit on the steering shaft splines.

I used a 1' plus something socket and you need to use an extension to tighten the nut when the hub is on.

Torque it to 50 n-m (How much is that in ft/lbs?)
lapuwali
However, there are two steering columns, early and late. The changeover appears to have happened during the '72 model year. Only the "late" MOMO hub is available new. The splines are the same, so the "new" hub will fit the "old" column, but there's a big gap. It's just cosmetic, but it's enough to put some people off. The turn signal stalk also ends up really close to the steering wheel, so you need to use a spacer (available from several places) between the hub and the wheel, or you find your knuckles hitting the turn signal switch all the time.

If you have a '73 or later car, no worries.

To Aaron's list, I'd add 0: disconnect the battery negative lead, and 13: reconnect the lead. Otherwise, you're likely to startle yourself by accidentally honking the horn while you're messing with the horn wire.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jul 19 2005, 03:55 PM)
To Aaron's list, I'd add 0: disconnect the battery negative lead, and 13: reconnect the lead. Otherwise, you're likely to startle yourself by accidentally honking the horn while you're messing with the horn wire.

that takes the fun out of it biggrin.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jul 19 2005, 06:39 PM)
To Aaron's list, I'd add 0: disconnect the battery negative lead, and 13: reconnect the lead.  Otherwise, you're likely to startle yourself by accidentally honking the horn while you're messing with the horn wire.

How about the fuse thats a little easier!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Jul 19 2005, 09:03 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jul 19 2005, 06:39 PM)
To Aaron's list, I'd add 0: disconnect the battery negative lead, and 13: reconnect the lead.  Otherwise, you're likely to startle yourself by accidentally honking the horn while you're messing with the horn wire.

How about the fuse thats a little easier!

or just dont turn the key screwy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.