Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dhuckabay
Seeing what the pros have to say.

I have a 70 6 that I have had for years. When I bought it I got three sets of rims. The Fuchs are polished and have the right dimensions. The chrome plated are the same. I have a set of cookie cutters also. They are the right dimensions. The problem is that in digging through the gray matter I don't remember cookies at the time. I can't imagine Porsche making such a narrow rim for the times that I do remember them showing up.

The question after all of that, does anyone know if cookies were made in 70?

Thanks
SirAndy
First of all, i think you are talking about the 6" cookies, correct?
Most of them were 7", which wouldn't easily fit a stock 914 without rolling the fenders.

Anyways, no, the cookies would not have been an option for a '70 /6.
shades.gif

PS: Do you have pictures of the wheels?
sixnotfour
jcd914
The early were 6 in and had cast textured surface to complete wheel and were painted silver.
The later 911/944 cookies had a machined outer rim and black center section.
The later came in both 6 and 7 inch widths. The later 6 inch wheels look a little beefer and cleaner castings then the earlier 6 wheels but it could just be the nice clean look of the machined outer rim.

Jim
dhuckabay
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 18 2021, 09:09 PM) *

First of all, i think you are talking about the 6" cookies, correct?
Most of them were 7", which wouldn't easily fit a stock 914 without rolling the fenders.

Anyways, no, the cookies would not have been an option for a '70 /6.
shades.gif

PS: Do you have pictures of the wheels?

Thanks for the reply. I am not near them now, will get a pic later. Know they fit in the wheel well so they must be 6 inch.
Mark Henry
I have a set of 6 inch cookies on my teen right now, they look and fit good, but they were never OE for the 914.
Root_Werks
Plus the 6" Cookies are harder to find than the 7" inch Cookies used on early 944's.

Now I want a cookie. biggrin.gif
mepstein
6” cookie. The best low cost wheel for a five lug conversion.
sixnotfour
flag.gif
Mark Henry
Pic from a couple years ago, my /6 conversion has the fuchs on it, but I've swapped the wheels around since then. Also note the Fuchs have 205/60-15 tires while the Cookies are riding on 205/55-15 shoes.

IPB Image
dhuckabay
Apparently a very bad memory, not cookie cutters.

Don't know what these are called. Any idea if they are originally available for a 70 6?

Thanks again
brant
QUOTE(dhuckabay @ Mar 19 2021, 04:07 PM) *

Apparently a very bad memory, not cookie cutters.

Don't know what these are called. Any idea if they are originally available for a 70 6?

Thanks again

gas burners

original on some 914/6 cars
fairly rare
and expensive also
brant
dhuckabay
Thanks for the response.

Good to know. Don't think they have ever been on the car, may have to. Like the look. Not sure how I ended up with three original sets but not unhappy about it.

John
brant
QUOTE(dhuckabay @ Mar 19 2021, 04:16 PM) *

Thanks for the response.

Good to know. Don't think they have ever been on the car, may have to. Like the look. Not sure how I ended up with three original sets but not unhappy about it.

John

they look really nice on a 914
probably the best original wheel
dhuckabay
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 19 2021, 03:17 PM) *

Thanks for the response.

John

Thinking about taking it to Parade this year. After your comments I think I will put them on. My shop guy said they don't look like they have ever been on the car. I looked them up and they are magnesium, he said they were very light.

Thanks again for the help.
RARE 6
QUOTE(dhuckabay @ Mar 19 2021, 02:31 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Mar 19 2021, 03:17 PM) *

Thanks for the response.

John

Thinking about taking it to Parade this year. After your comments I think I will put them on. My shop guy said they don't look like they have ever been on the car. I looked them up and they are magnesium, he said they were very light.

Thanks again for the help.

Four choices of OEM wheels for 914-6s AFIK. Painted or chromed 15" steelies, 14" satin Fuchs and the 15" gas burners.

DavidSweden
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 19 2021, 02:17 PM) *

agree.gif
I got them on my car and they are reasonably priced.
MM1
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 19 2021, 10:43 AM) *

Pic from a couple years ago, my /6 conversion has the fuchs on it, but I've swapped the wheels around since then. Also note the Fuchs have 205/60-15 tires while the Cookies are riding on 205/55-15 shoes.

IPB Image

So Mark, no fender rubbing/rolling/pulling with either of those 205's? Would love to see a similar view of the 6 with the cookie's . . .
SirAndy
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 19 2021, 03:08 PM) *
gas burners
fairly rare
and expensive also

agree.gif

Rare, expensive and awesome!
piratenanner.gif
dhuckabay
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 19 2021, 07:58 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Mar 19 2021, 03:08 PM) *
gas burners
fairly rare
and expensive also

agree.gif

Rare, expensive and awesome!
piratenanner.gif

You all have made my day. For sure will put them on the car going to Parade, now will need to sort out a second car.

Always impressed with the knowledge here, been a fun site. Hope some day to have the level of information.
ClayPerrine
Gas Burners are great on a 914-6. They are period correct and factory stock.

This is our factory six. I replaced the 16 inch Fuchs with the gas burners.

Clay
dhuckabay
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 20 2021, 04:57 AM) *

Clay

Thanks for the pic. Have the twin, will put these wheels on.
dhuckabay

Clay

Hi Clay

Your pic brings up two other questions, nothing to do with wheels.

Attached is mine. The antennae on yours is on the right, mine on the left. Curious how that came about. Suspect there has to be a story.

Next is the hood badge. Did they come from the factory or were they added afterwards.
914Toy
Cookie cutters are forged (thus strong) and light weight - what's not to like? beerchug.gif
brant
QUOTE(914Toy @ Mar 21 2021, 04:12 PM) *

Cookie cutters are forged (thus strong) and light weight - what's not to like? beerchug.gif

Actually
Fuchs are forged
But cookies are not

They are not a very strong wheel. They bend easily
mepstein
I believe cookies are pressure cast. I haven’t found them to bend easily. Not as strong as Fuchs but still often used on the track and most seem to be true, unlike four bolt mahle wheels that are soft and are often bent and flat spotted.

brant
I've had to straighten a couple of sets of 5 bolts. Unlike an aftermarket wheel, they will take a mild bend without cracking. they tend to bend on the lip and loose true
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(dhuckabay @ Mar 21 2021, 04:58 PM) *

Clay

Hi Clay

Attached is mine. The antennae on yours is on the right, mine on the left. Curious how that came about. Suspect there has to be a story.

Next is the hood badge. Did they come from the factory or were they added afterwards.

The antenna placement is random. I have never been able to find any documentation saying it should go in one fender over the other. I prefer the right fender as it is closer to the radio. But I didn't put this one in. It was in the car when I got it.

The only 914s ever to come with a hood badge from the factory are the 914-8 built for the Porsche family. The 916 prototypes had them as well. All the others did not. This one was installed by the original owner.

Looking at your car in the picture, it has a later model external mirror on it. The corner is rounded. The factory sixes all had the sharp cornered mirrors.

Clay
dhuckabay
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 22 2021, 08:06 AM) *

QUOTE(dhuckabay @ Mar 21 2021, 04:58 PM) *

Clay

Hi Clay

The antenna placement is random. I have never been able to find any documentation saying it should go in one fender over the other. I prefer the right fender as it is closer to the radio. But I didn't put this one in. It was in the car when I got it.

The only 914s ever to come with a hood badge from the factory are the 914-8 built for the Porsche family. The 916 prototypes had them as well. All the others did not. This one was installed by the original owner.

Looking at your car in the picture, it has a later model external mirror on it. The corner is rounded. The factory sixes all had the sharp cornered mirrors.

Clay

Clay

Thanks for the info. Now the mystery mirror. Wonder if a Judge would pick that up.

John
sixnotfour
beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.