Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice on engine replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zaballosc
Hi, I seem to have found myself in a pickle.
I had the engine to my 2.0 rebuilt two years ago, but it seems like the shop rebuilt it poorly or lied about the work. It grenaded, and i've been quoted about $20k to get it rebuilt considering the extensive damage. Auto Atlanta no longer sells their remanufactured engines, so I was wondering what the most economical way to replace my engine would be. Is it common for people to sell usable 2.0 motors? Is there a place that still sells rebuilt engines? I understand that I may be out of luck, as it's rather hard to do anything economically on these cars biggrin.gif
JOEPROPER
You may want to search the classifieds here for a used engine. They pop up on here from time to time.
brant
Or talk to Mark about a rebuild...

much better price point than 20K
even if you need everything... a core motor to rebuild might be a better starting point.
bretth
$20K for 4 rebuild? Should be able to get a rebuilt 4 for a quarter of that price. Unless it is a six then yeah prices are stupid high.
Spoke
QUOTE(zaballosc @ Mar 19 2021, 03:09 PM) *

...Is it common for people to sell usable 2.0 motors?...

Yes. I bought my 2L engine w/dual carbs from Brad Mayeur several years ago to make it a 2056. Turns out it was already punched out to 96mm. So I cleaned up the engine and it ran fine and is still running. Bought it for less than $900.

Keep an eye out in the For Sale forum here and at Pelican. Maybe start a WTB thread too.
Chris914n6
You should talk to @mcmark

He used to do rebuilds & upgrades and he's in Wi too.

$5k is a good reference point, actual cost depends on needed parts & machining & tuning of course. Assuming it's a 4 cylinder not the -6.
mepstein
There are always good engines going up for sale from guys converting to a six.
wes
Probably just lucky but I bought a sweet Balanced and blue printed by fat preference built by Abacus Racing 2056 with Webbers and a 1,000 miles on it from a guy wanting to do a LS1 $4500 shipped. If you’re not in a hurry and keep watching you could get lucky. WTB add as mentioned.
bdstone914
QUOTE(zaballosc @ Mar 19 2021, 01:09 PM) *

Hi, I seem to have found myself in a pickle.
I had the engine to my 2.0 rebuilt two years ago, but it seems like the shop rebuilt it poorly or lied about the work. It grenaded, and i've been quoted about $20k to get it rebuilt considering the extensive damage. Auto Atlanta no longer sells their remanufactured engines, so I was wondering what the most economical way to replace my engine would be. Is it common for people to sell usable 2.0 motors? Is there a place that still sells rebuilt engines? I understand that I may be out of luck, as it's rather hard to do anything economically on these cars biggrin.gif

A friend in Las Vegas plans to sell a complted running when pulled 2.0L
20K is riduculous.

@Toast
cary
What Bruce said ....................

I'll spend $20k on my next personal engine. New TYPE 4 kit and MOTEC.
Maybe by then we'll have a new engine case available.
Mark Henry
I agree $20K is too high, but you always want to compare apples to apples.
We don't know what was being offered.

A rebuild with all the best kit, R&R the engine, source parts, powder coated tins and shroud, referb FI and engine harnesses, MPS kit, fully sorted Djet, ceramic coat the exhaust, full tune, new fly and clutch, options like full balance, etc. etc. etc.
Now that costs a fuch of a lot more than $900 or even $5K. dry.gif

I don't how many times I've been asked to quote an engine "all in ultimate build including the flux capacitor" only to have the dude go "How much! Back in the day my buddy did this for a case of beer!"
Call your buddy...those days are long gone.

BTW and FYI this is why I rarely build type one engines anymore. Too much nickle and dime action from the bug guys.
horizontally-opposed
Sorry to hear this.

It was tough to find a buyer for my Type IV "question-liter" years ago (probably a 1911), but I ended up selling it—as a plug-in engine complete with fully sorted factory FI—for $300. It was leaky and tired, but it ran and ran and ran.

So I'd look for a known 1.7 or 1.8 runner to keep your 914 on the road, then keep eyes peeled for a great 2.0, 2056, or something else to pop up in time. It will—or you can buy a core and start building it up. $20k isn't insane for a Type IV anymore, but it should be a very nice Type IV for that kind of money...
914xr75
I've seen this on eBay for a while now from Auto Atlanta.

Click to view attachment
Al Meredith
Zaballosc, I have 2056 I'm about to start building I PMed you with some details . Al
IronHillRestorations
My advice is to get an engine built by one of the reputable builders that will provide a warranty. I had good luck with a few take out engines, and recently very bad luck.
Jett
... Agree on apples to apples... recently we rebuilt two 4/2.0 motors and paid about 8K each. Our 69 911s motor is landing 20-25k.

For $20K you can buy a nice well sorted teener smile.gif
EdwardBlume
I have a 3K mi 2056 that HPH built with Raby components and ceramic lifters. I figure the best I'll do when it comes time to sell is $5K at best. Just be patient in the classifieds.
mepstein
QUOTE(914xr75 @ Mar 20 2021, 02:45 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Expensive for a generic rebuild.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 20 2021, 05:31 PM) *

QUOTE(914xr75 @ Mar 20 2021, 02:45 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Expensive for a generic rebuild.

To me it's not quite a finished long block, I would have installed the RMS, shims and a flywheel.

Badinfluence1
type.gif For 20K you can buy a really nice 914 off bring a trailer. Get on line and look for air cooled engine shops in your area- expect a couple of months because the good shops are always busy. Or look in the 914 worlds classifieds and find a rich dude upgrading to a six or tesla swap, who had it rebuilt 8 years ago and the engine has 4k and offer 3k for the engine...(perfect world)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.