Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Greg Wood’s PMB Coachwerks Light Ivory Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
And it’s a wrap. Greg has been an amazing customer and a tremendous caretaker for this beautiful and tastefully appointed 1973 2.0 914.

What started as some metal repair and a repaint quickly became a dream come true for Greg and quite frankly everyone that touched her here at PMB Coachwerks.

I’ll try to be brief. Every nut and bolt turned, plated or replaced. All metalwork flawlessly perfected. Stunning factory light ivory paint adorns her flanks. New stock 2.0 euro spec engine with VEMS electronic fuel injection delivering 112hp at sea level mated up to a factory LSD 914 transmission with a CFR linkage kit. Stunning factory Fuchs resto. New Bilstein shocks and inserts and of course, the crowning jewels... new PMB calipers grinding her happy go lucky self to a hault.

Look close and you’ll see a few of Greg’s custom touches. If you’ve ever wondered what it feels like to drive a brand new 914 off the assembly line, you’ll have to beg Greg for a ride or... we can build one for you.
JamesM
Car looked amazing in person, sounded amazing too. The more I see you pump out Ivory cars the more I want to take my 73 back to Ivory, with the blacked out chrome its just a killer combo.

ValcoOscar
S T U N N I N G...P E R I O D

first.gif

O
raynekat
Gorgeous build.....PMB did that? hahaha
Of course, they are an incredible shop.
Lucky guy you are.
Enjoy.
Bullethead
Very handsome, exceptional details. smilie_pokal.gif Drive that thing!
bkrantz
Nicely done! I like the subtle mods since they make the car personal.
tygaboy
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! wub.gif pray.gif

Is that blacked out trim paint? Powder coat? Anodized?
Thanks in advance.
Eric_Shea
Powder
Cairo94507
A truly stunning 914. smilie_pokal.gif Congratulations to Greg and the entire crew at PMB. PMB has demonstrated time after time they have the chops to produce beautifully restored or modified 914 masterpieces. Greg will enjoy driving that baby all over and reminding people what a great car the 914 is. beerchug.gif
mepstein
SWEET!
infraredcalvin
Very nicely done! Black trim looks great!
gereed75
Very partial to light ivory and always thought it looked great with chrome trim, bumpers and black sail vinyl, but this blacked out combo is really stunning! Add the other black/white touches and this thing is really pulled together tight

Congrats and great job Eric!
Coondog
Beautiful
FlacaProductions
Blacked out trim with the black bumpers - perfect.
raynekat
While looking through the pics a 2nd time.....noticed the fender liners. Nice touch there.
Jett
Really nice car!

Btw. I think there are three pieces of black trim that cover the sharp edges... I bought a set from a local member.
914_teener
Nice work Eric and congrats on the new building.

I'll have to stop by sometime.
wysri9
That looks wonderful Eric. Shop looks a little different to when I visited a few years ago smile.gif beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
drooley.gif
CptTripps
SUCH a great build. Congrats!
trick-e
Sharp!
I’ve an ivory ‘75 with a ‘73 2.0, same trim blackout. I will definitely be backdating the bumpers now.
90quattrocoupe
Thank you, Eric Shea. I bought the car in 1981, after looking at 35 1973 2.0l cars. Something about white cars, I liked. I bought it because it had 45,XXX miles on it. It had the gauges in the interior, but did not have the outside appearance group. I liked the black bumpers and no vinyl on the sails. I added the front fogs later.
I had had 2 friends that had had 914s. One a 6 and the other a1.7l four. I drove the car for 20 years, and then it was basically stored. I had gotten into quattros, but still wanted the 914. Just something different about a small mid-engine car, that nothing else compares to. It even made a trip to Indiana and back to CA.
After sitting for all those years, I decided it needed a rebuild. I called Eric and we talked. I liked what I heard and a few months later, I delivered the car to PMB.
Over the last few years we have talked, he has always kept me up to date, sending pictures all along the way. It has been a great experience.
Somewhere along the way, I must have mentioned that I like black. Eric surprised me one day, with all the trim blacked out. I love it.
About 6 months ago we started talking about if we wanted to keep the original FI or did we want to do an update. I figured we needed something a little more modern than something invented in the 1960s. I was familiar with VEMS, as I am running it on my Coupe Quattro. So we updated the FI.
Eric is now going to offering a kit for upgrading the FI to something a little more modern. With a bump from 90hp to 112hp, that is a 20% increase in hp, from just a more modern FI.
This is with stock valves and a stock cam. I am sure that with larger valves and more cam, it would have more hp.
With the newer FI keeping the fueling at the proper ratios, Eric tells me the car runs cool.
I want to thank Eric and his whole crew for what they have done to the car. I will be picking it, shortly and going to have some fun on back roads.

Greg W.
pete000
Nice lobby over there at PMB !
mepstein
Eric - can you talk about the VEMS.
@Eric_Shea
rgalla9146

Light Ivory/black the choice of discerning enthusiasts worldwide. smile.gif
Beautiful !
DTMLGND
Wow! Speechless. Congrats!! aktion035.gif
Freezin 914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 20 2021, 04:29 PM) *

@Eric_Shea

Yes please..... popcorn[1].gif
jd74914
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Mar 22 2021, 07:57 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 20 2021, 04:29 PM) *

@Eric_Shea

Yes please..... popcorn[1].gif

Curious here too. Last time I've heard of VEMS was maybe 2007ish when they really were really quite an improvement over Megasquirt and had just gone private from MSAVR. Not much documentation back then.

Beautiful car!! The more Ivory cars I see the more I want one! drooley.gif biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Sorry Guys,

I had a VEMS reply all written out but, I must of got pulled away and lost it. Happens here all the time.

VEMS is an offshoot from the original Mega/MicroSquirt team. ALL of the modern FI brains and systems are really more than competent to handle what is required for a Type 4. The competitiveness in the market makes it "very" rich in features and usability. I would compare the VEMS systems we used in these cars to the MegaSquirt. It has an onboard MAP sensor etc so very similar. We went with the VEMS system because Greg is already familiar with it on his Audi. It's an excellent system that is widely regarded in the Audi/BMW realm. As with any and all of these systems, we're probably only tapping into 5-10% of their computing power for our applications.

We can no longer trust 50 year old components to effectively monitor and meter fuel to our new engines. That time has come. Say what you will. Preach as you must. We either recommend carbs or modern EFI or we will not offer a warranty on an engine. We've had holes in brand new pistons because of old ineffective components. Strip the copper wires on your 50 year old harness and you'll find them to be a brownish/grey. No longer copper and no longer effectively sending the proper signals to where they need to go. In fact, it's one of my biggest things for old FI... get a new harness then troubleshoot the rest. Again, we're all but done with it.

We're developing systems in-house that will be a drop in for all FI 914's using largely stock intake components. The only "user" task will be to get an O2 bung welded on their muffler. As you can see with Greg's car, the engine bay is largely stock and, to the uninitiated, you'd be hard pressed to see what's missing or what's been added. Stock airbox. Stock TB. Stock intake runners. Stock FI rails. MPS missing. WSD/DIS added where the rotor cap was. Bosch TPS added. Air intake temperature sensor added. Wide Band O2 added. All producing 112-115hp on an otherwise stock 2.0 build.

Our new systems will have a MicroSquirt brain and again, we'll be tapping (as you MS guys know) 5-10% of their brainpower to do what's needed on our Type 4's. I've spent a tremendous amount of time and money on R&D and trial and error getting these systems to the market and I'm 100% onboard. They are jaw dropping reliable and deliver remarkable gains in horsepower and tune-ability. It makes a stock 2.0 a grin from ear to ear, joy to drive. Putting my money where my mouth is, I've bailed on my personal 3.2 narrow body project and will be going 2.3 ITB EFI (what we call the 2300i package here).

Edit: I would also like to add that we feel fortunate to have @JamesM here in our backyard to help push, prod and sarcastically chide us in the proper direction. He was a big help in the early days of us with mapping etc. Thanks James!

I hope that helps. smilie_pokal.gif
horizontally-opposed
Cool article on a cool car—nice to see narrow -4s getting some love!

Ditto for PMB, too.

Congrats, all! beerchug.gif
JamesM
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 25 2021, 09:26 AM) *

I would also like to add that we feel fortunate to have @JamesM here in our backyard to help push, prod and sarcastically chide us in the proper direction. He was a big help in the early days of us with mapping etc. Thanks James!

@Eric_Shea Ahhh... Making me fell all warm and fuzzy inside!

Happy that you were able to see the potential and run with it! Its something I have preached for years (like 15 or so now) that a much improved drop in replacement for d-jet that retains a stock like appearance was possible, if not quickly becoming a necessity and that there are gains to be had in the accuracy of a fully programable system. I unfortunately have a day job that limits my ability to feasibly produce/support anything at scale. Jealous you get to spend your days doing all the fun stuff, but glad that you do as this was badly needed! Still blown away at the dyno results, I knew d-jet was leaving power on the table but the end numbers exceeded even what I would have guessed. If anything you have somewhat vindicated me from being the crazy guy always rambling about Megasquirt! The results are real people!

Don't think you are done hearing from me either... the experiments on my cars are never ending and ill be sure to let you know how the testing goes, already have some more things to run by you.. offline, don't want to ruin it.

Hopefully I am not to rough with the sarcastic chiding though, that was how my family expressed love... it was an 'interesting' childhood.

PS. Those braided hoses sure look slick!!! biggrin.gif
Shivers
"We either recommend carbs or modern EFI or we will not offer a warranty on an engine."

Nice.
gereed75
Eric or Greg, what paint did you use? Single stage or base/clear and what brand paint code. Love the creamy light ivory.
peteyd
Great looking build Eric!

Pete
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 25 2021, 01:26 PM) *

Sorry Guys,

I had a VEMS reply all written out but, I must of got pulled away and lost it. Happens here all the time.

VEMS is an offshoot from the original Mega/MicroSquirt team. ALL of the modern FI brains and systems are really more than competent to handle what is required for a Type 4. The competitiveness in the market makes it "very" rich in features and usability. I would compare the VEMS systems we used in these cars to the MegaSquirt. It has an onboard MAP sensor etc so very similar. We went with the VEMS system because Greg is already familiar with it on his Audi. It's an excellent system that is widely regarded in the Audi/BMW realm. As with any and all of these systems, we're probably only tapping into 5-10% of their computing power for our applications.

We can no longer trust 50 year old components to effectively monitor and meter fuel to our new engines. That time has come. Say what you will. Preach as you must. We either recommend carbs or modern EFI or we will not offer a warranty on an engine. We've had holes in brand new pistons because of old ineffective components. Strip the copper wires on your 50 year old harness and you'll find them to be a brownish/grey. No longer copper and no longer effectively sending the proper signals to where they need to go. In fact, it's one of my biggest things for old FI... get a new harness then troubleshoot the rest. Again, we're all but done with it.

We're developing systems in-house that will be a drop in for all FI 914's using largely stock intake components. The only "user" task will be to get an O2 bung welded on their muffler. As you can see with Greg's car, the engine bay is largely stock and, to the uninitiated, you'd be hard pressed to see what's missing or what's been added. Stock airbox. Stock TB. Stock intake runners. Stock FI rails. MPS missing. WSD/DIS added where the rotor cap was. Bosch TPS added. Air intake temperature sensor added. Wide Band O2 added. All producing 112-115hp on an otherwise stock 2.0 build.

Our new systems will have a MicroSquirt brain and again, we'll be tapping (as you MS guys know) 5-10% of their brainpower to do what's needed on our Type 4's. I've spent a tremendous amount of time and money on R&D and trial and error getting these systems to the market and I'm 100% onboard. They are jaw dropping reliable and deliver remarkable gains in horsepower and tune-ability. It makes a stock 2.0 a grin from ear to ear, joy to drive. Putting my money where my mouth is, I've bailed on my personal 3.2 narrow body project and will be going 2.3 ITB EFI (what we call the 2300i package here).

Edit: I would also like to add that we feel fortunate to have @JamesM here in our backyard to help push, prod and sarcastically chide us in the proper direction. He was a big help in the early days of us with mapping etc. Thanks James!

this is great news for our 914 community!
I am certainly interested and i already have the O2 bung installed on the exhause with the Dakota digital AF meter,. looks like it would be pretty easy to make the change.
SInce i already had my throttle body rebuilt, i would keep it but seems like getting a larger bus TB like some guys have done would also help increase air flow,.
once you get your price point set let us know where this is going to land i am going to start saving now lol!!
BTW beautiful build like everyting else Eric does!!!

HOpe to see you at Amelia island, are you coming in may for the Werks Reunion??

Phil

Eric_Shea
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 26 2021, 06:24 AM) *

Sorry Guys,

I am certainly interested and i already have the O2 bung installed on the exhause with the Dakota digital AF meter,. looks like it would be pretty easy to make the change.
SInce i already had my throttle body rebuilt, i would keep it but seems like getting a larger bus TB like some guys have done would also help increase air flow,.
once you get your price point set let us know where this is going to land i am going to start saving now lol!!

Phil

No Amelia this year due to the new shop move.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 12 2021, 11:13 AM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 26 2021, 06:24 AM) *

Sorry Guys,

Phil

No Amelia this year due to the new shop move.

sorry you wont be making the trip but fully understand with the move and all, but maybe next year,. maybe in 2022 you could have a display of some of these wonderful cars and also the VEMS system- i hope to have one in place by then.

914_7T3
Just seeing this thread for the first time, WOW wub.gif

Congratulations to @90quattrocoupe on this beautiful car! Great work from @eric_shea as always!

Hope to see you out in the Twistys of SoCal driving.gif
Root_Werks
Sure turned out nice, great work!
Gint
Good grief that's gorgeous! Fantastic work to all involved.
MM1
Beautiful!
MM1
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 20 2021, 08:01 PM) *

Beautiful !

I'm liking you thoughts on this . . . evilgrin.gif
windforfun
Sublime!!!
PanelBilly
Fantastic balance of old and new. Great job
rgalla9146
QUOTE(MM1 @ May 12 2021, 08:16 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 20 2021, 08:01 PM) *

Beautiful !

I'm liking you thoughts on this . . . evilgrin.gif

I have my reasons.
abes914
WOW!

euro911
drooley.gif Stunning build, Eric, et-al beerchug.gif The black accents really set the theme off nicely.

I too have an affinity for Light Ivory 914s ... hoping I can get 'HOWARD' to look as nice as Greg's - some day idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.