Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: making the case for -6 conversions!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
larryM

SEMA says restomods are attracting younger classic car enthusiasts | Hagerty Media

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/sema-say...ar-enthusiasts/

Mark Henry
A 914/6 conversion is worth more than most /4's, but then it's a high price for an engine and the conversion bits.

But..... I was picking up my wife from work and a mid -30's dude asked me if I'd sell my teen. To get rid of him I said "no... and if it was I'd want at least $100K", his reply was to give me his card "if you do sell please call me first".
blink.gif

I didn't tell the wife this story av-943.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(larryM @ Mar 20 2021, 11:48 AM) *

SEMA says restomods are attracting younger classic car enthusiasts | Hagerty Media

I wonder if the same applies for other engine restomods besides a Porsche six?
Mayne
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Mar 20 2021, 02:32 PM) *

That’s a good question. It seems to me that younger car enthusiasts have grown up in an engine swap culture, so they could more receptive. Since I’m pretty sure I’ll be going the Subaru 6 route, I’d like to see a rise in value for well done non-Porsche conversions. Not that I’m building to sell it, but it helps justify spending the money. driving.gif
PanelBilly
All the cool kids have one
raynekat
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Mar 20 2021, 01:32 PM) *

I would say no....if you're asking about a 914 with a Subie or V8 or other engine in it.
In my mind to get the money, it all needs to somewhat "Porsche."
larryM
there is the PCA factor -

it has to have a Porsche engine to compete in any PCA events -

if ya poke around the MGB sites you'll find plenty of V-6 & V-8 & JDM 4's conversions - same for V-8 Miatas - usually more "invested" than they sell for, but "it's all about the journey" they will all say -

QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 20 2021, 02:39 PM) *

I would say no....if you're asking about a 914 with a Subie or V8 or other engine in it.

rick 918-S
QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 20 2021, 05:39 PM) *

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Mar 20 2021, 01:32 PM) *

assimilate.gif
mate914
I doubt that.... But in todays world who knows.. If the news repeated Porsche engines bad for four years and Chevys are the only exceptions for the wise and the knowen crowed.

Matt
Jett
Exercising passion by converting a 914 is great, but for me an engine swap needs to stay in the manufacturing family. For some reason I find a Chevy motor in a Ford undesirable.

Our 6 conversion is going to use a period correct 911 motor..
mepstein
I only build cars for myself so I don't care about resale.
I did a suby conversion because it's different and I could find the (running) engine and 5mt for less than $1K. I wanted to see how much performance I could build on a budget.
horizontally-opposed
Did a six conversion instead of a hot Type IV because the planets aligned and I couldn't pass the project up. It was more than I wanted to spend, but so very worth it as I'll probably only ever have one old Porsche in the garage and it may as well be my favorite early chassis with one of the all-time great engines for road and race cars. The car also had something to do with the choice—just felt wrong to cut this one for an "other" engine, both due to the car's condition but also my relationship with it over 20 years by then.

If I was ever to start from scratch, I'd probably do a 2.5 STi engine—which is a fantastic engine, like 2/3s of a 996 Turbo engine. Not sure the 718 2.5 turbo feels as good to me…
worn
QUOTE(larryM @ Mar 20 2021, 09:48 AM) *

I don’t know about value, but putting a 3.2 into my 914 makes me feel great every time I drive the car. The sound is great and it gives me that wonderful 10 pounds per hp feeling. I know that in this world that isn’t uncommon but in a little mid engine car it is sweeeet.
And, the snow is almost gone cheer.gif
raynekat
To clarify....I do like conversions with non Porsche engines.

But someone asked if engine swaps other than Porsche can bring similar money.
I think (could be wrong) that somewhat identical cars, one with a Porsche 911 engine and the other with a non-Porsche engine.....the one with the Porsche engine will always be worth more to a majority of people.
Flame on.

Again, not bashing non-Porsche conversions.
Just talking the economics of the resale.
Of course you've possibly put more money into a Porsche 6 cylinder conversion than say a Subie also to get it done. (again I could be wrong here as well).
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 21 2021, 03:50 PM) *

To clarify....I do like conversions with non Porsche engines.

But someone asked if engine swaps other than Porsche can bring similar money.
I think (could be wrong) that somewhat identical cars, one with a Porsche 911 engine and the other with a non-Porsche engine.....the one with the Porsche engine will always be worth more to a majority of people.
Flame on.

Again, not bashing non-Porsche conversions.
Just talking the economics of the resale.
Of course you've possibly put more money into a Porsche 6 cylinder conversion than say a Subie also to get it done. (again I could be wrong here as well).

^ No, you're spot on. If anyone is concerned about resale, the market seems to suggest there are really only two ways to go: Type IV or 901 six.

I was amazed to see a 6 conversion break into six figures in an auction recently, but I was similarly blown away to learn a 6 conversion someone wanted me to try put their customer back $250k. Then again, if I had $250k to spend on a vintage Porsche—and didn't have one—I'd spend it on a 914 over a 356 or a 911. Yep, I'm weird.

The hard question for me, with that kind of budget, would be a smaller 911 flat six with a 901 or an STi four with a Subie 6MT. Both have upsides and downsides in my book…and both are deeply appealing for different reasons. Not sure what I'd do, but I know which one would do better if I ever had to sell it…
Mayne
For sure, it makes sense that an air-cooled 6 conversion should be worth more money. But let's say an exceptional 6 conversion fetches $100k, and that its motor and conversion bits are $30k of its value (I know, maybe much more), should an equally exceptional subie or LS conversion be worth less then the difference? Say a market value of just $30-40k? I would think a full on Renegade car would be worth $50-70, probably more. Back to the OP post, I just think a younger crowd might be less picky about the air-cooled cache then an older generation. Of course, if I stumble on enough money to put an SC motor on carbs in my car, I'll be first in line!
Coondog
Always better to buy a Resto Mod already built.
mepstein
“I would think a full on Renegade car would be worth $50-70, probably more.”

Nope.

Coondog
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 21 2021, 05:07 PM) *

“I would think a full on Renegade car would be worth $50-70, probably more.”

Nope.

Before I went to Patrick I paid a visit to there shop, 50 to 70k would have been a average build with no frills.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.