Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yesterday, from good to bad.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mlindner
I have been struggling with my new PMO carb setting and finally got a good running engine on all six cylinder.....added gas and took a short brisk drive around the neighborhood.......for got to put the hood pins in...smash, at 40 mph all I have in front of me is signal orange hood.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mepstein
I'm so sorry for you. I know you've put heart and soul into that car. You will recover and get it fixed. Let me know If I can help in any way or provide any resources.
SO.O.C914er
Ouch so sorry. From fun to bummer in seconds. The life of a 914 owner always something brother! dry.gif
Cairo94507
OMG! I am so sorry to see that. But I totally get how excited you must have been to take that beauty for a spin and hear that 6. Glad no one was hurt and it's just some metal, labor and paint to make it like new.
mate914
I know it sucks... But Its a car. Its fixable... Your not, I'm glad your ok.
Matt
rick 918-S
sad.gif Terrible!
DRPHIL914
ouch!!! flashback for me, i did this too , but on my ‘69 AH Sprite ! bent the cowl under the glass frame and tore loose the hood hinge supports under the hood too! what a mess! sucks, looks like it’s fixable for you though.
Dion
Uggh!! Sorry that happened. Frustrating. I know you’ll make it right and proper again.
It’s coming along so nicely.
gms
No doubt a bad day
Morph914
So sorry to see this, I worry about things like this as I get close to finishing my restoration.
Grieve and then get to fixing it!

Cheers,
John
framos914
I know the exact feeling, the surprise of the hood coming up, then the relief that you stopped safely, followed by the grief of inspecting the damage.
On my first 914 an ex-girlfriend left a beach towel over the hood latch when she closed the hood. Same thing happened at about 40 mph.
Hope you get it fixed soon, it's a great looking car
Jett
Great looking car! Looks like a few days of bodywork and it will be back smile.gif in amazing shape!
PanelBilly
It hard to look at even over the internet. I know most of us have forgotten to do something and suffered the results. I’d prime the metal and finish sorting the car before you paint it just in case there’s another accident.
infraredcalvin
Good time to leave it for a bit, drive the heck out of it to work out any other bugs, it’ll be a good reminder, then when you have it dialed in get it fixed along with any other blemishes bothering you.

Sorry to see, glad your ok!
SirAndy
sad.gif
gandalf_025
I know someone that had the hood pop on a 1967 MGB.. It was a beautiful car.
Hood popped up on the highway, flew back, ripped Through the convertible top
and hit him on the head, to the tune of 10 stitches.
2 months later, after repairs, the hood popped again when a big truck passed.
Another new hood and roof and 10 more stitches.
That time hood pins installed. Never happened again.
Shivers
Heart breaker, such a drag. You're ok, and it's just time, sheet metal and paint. Hey, and you've made your sacrifice to the god of motion. One less thing
jat914
I did that when I lived in Naperville and my hood still hangs on a wall in a body shop in Chicagoland. That was the last time I forgot to latch the hoodpins!!!
rhodyguy
Put the hood pins on the driver's seat. Or stick them in the spoke holes on a AM wheel.
horizontally-opposed
Argh. Sorry to see these pics, but glad you and the car are okay.

We all do stuff like this, and I just try to think about how much worse it could have been when I do stupid stuff that results in damage. And as others have said, it can definitely be fixed.
worn
QUOTE(mlindner @ Mar 21 2021, 05:40 AM) *

I have been struggling with my new PMO carb setting and finally got a good running engine on all six cylinder.....added gas and took a short brisk drive around the neighborhood.......for got to put the hood pins in...smash, at 40 mph all I have in front of me is signal orange hood.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Oh my goodness Mark! Let me know if there is anything I can do. I can help paint or hammer. I am so sorry.
Warren
rgalla9146
Had it happen..... twice on my Baja bug a few decades ago.
On my GT project I discovered after one or two drives that the safety catch
was not working......an adjustment issue !
A word of caution to all......make sure that the built in second latch works !!!
And of course very sorry this happened to you mlindner
Superhawk996
Heartbreaking. barf.gif

Fixable but that I know that doesn't really ease the pain. Hang in there!
ValcoOscar
OH NO Mark...sorry this occurred.

I have stock and modified FRONT hinges.
Already deburred and bead blasted, but not plated

You are welcome to your choice FREE.

Just pay $20 shipping.

Let me know,

O

Click to view attachment

mlindner
Thanks everyone. Still coming out of shock I think. And a great offer from Worn and Oscar. Will get back to you after I find out how American Modern insurance handles this. Best, Mark
Tdskip
Sorry to see it, I am sure that was a bummer (but a fixable one at least).
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(mlindner @ Mar 22 2021, 06:06 AM) *

Thanks everyone. Still coming out of shock I think. And a great offer from Worn and Oscar. Will get back to you after I find out how American Modern insurance handles this. Best, Mark

I had a rear end claim almost 2 years ago with them, repairs and payment went very smoothly.

Good luck!
cali914
Nice Car
maxwelj
I had one fly off of my TR3 after just finishing a $300 paint job. ( tells you how long ago that was. 1968) Dzus fasteners vibrated loose, pot metal hinges broke, no damage except to the hood when it landed on its edge.
mb911
That sucks.. Mark I am so sorry to see this.. I got a bit excited this weekend with mine as well.
ClayPerrine
My incident is no where near as bad as yours......

To quote Adam Savage... "Am I missing an eyebrow?"

Coming home from a PCA event on Sunday, I was in the middle of traffic on 114 when I hit a bump and a red flash went by my windshield. I was able to see it in the mirror..... I lost the left hand eyebrow from my headlights.

I kept going. I figure with the amount of traffic, it probably lasted less than a minute before it was flattened under someone's tires.

Clay

MM1
Terribly sorry, Mark - hopefully the wail of the 6 will heal all wounds soon . . .
iankarr
Ugh. I know EXACTLY how you feel. Did that on my 65 mustang. All will be better soon. And you now have another story to tell...
Freezin 914
Sorry to hear this Mark.
Ansbacher
If you really want to cry, I did the same thing when I had my '64 356 SC. I was also monkeying with my carbs and not paying attention to anything else. Went up at about 30 miles an hour. Bent the hell out of the hood and put two big scallop dents in the cowl. I never realized so many others have had this happen too. Condolences.

Ansbacher

mlindner
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Mar 21 2021, 11:47 PM) *

Just pay $20 shipping.

Let me know,

O

Click to view attachment

Thanks Oscar, thats a great offer. I really like the modified, will they work OK with the steel hood. Mark
mb911
QUOTE(mlindner @ Mar 24 2021, 12:20 PM) *

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Mar 21 2021, 11:47 PM) *

Just pay $20 shipping.

Let me know,

O

Click to view attachment

Thanks Oscar, thats a great offer. I really like the modified, will they work OK with the steel hood. Mark

Yes.. I have them on mine.
mlindner
Thanks Ben, just PMed Oscar for a very nice offer. Mark
mlindner
And Ben, I really like your two in two out sport muffler. After some tuning it sounds great. I'll post a video when this poor thing get back on the road. Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.