Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dual Exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rdcarl
Hi, quick exhaust question, I have a 1973 1.7 with an aftermarket exhaust that is rusted and needs to be replaced. I saw the Monza dual exhaust tip muffler on Auto Atlanta and called them to order one, (along with the shorter valance that they sell that doesn't conflict with the tips), but they said the manufacturer no longer make this muffler. My question is if anyone knows of a dual exhaust that will fit a 1.7 / or does anyone have a Monza dual exhaust they would be willing to sell. Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
Richard
mepstein
@rdcarl

I sell these made in usa stainless steel mufflers. $650 for muffler, hardware, gaskets and shipping.

The old Monza's were heavy, loud, sucked power and rusted out in a couple years.

Email - Mark@MarkEpstein.net to purchase.
rhodyguy
Or, try Triadwest. In the member vendor subforum. Dave can make you a version that does not require altering the rear valence. Best to call the number provided and speak with Dave directly or leave a message. It might be a while before you get a reply to an email.
CHIZ 914
agree.gif
Cairo94507
Monza 4 tip exhaust.... barf.gif
SKL1
My dad got his 914 6 months after I got mine in early '71. We put a Monza exhaust on it because at the time we thought it looked good and sounded good. Rusted out in less than 2 years...
Have a Triad (stealth version) on my '73 2.0 with dual exhaust that doesn't need any mod to the valance. Recommend that as he can make 1.7 or 2.0 versions.
Shivers
I like the look.
VaccaRabite
Monza was an acceptable exhaust in the 70/80s. These days they are not good systems - at least not good at anything but being louder the stock and having multiple tips.

Get the ones Mark sells or a Triad or buy one of Chris's systems if you want dual output.

Zach
Shivers
Im sure the new exhaust systems work great. The Anza was a tuned exhaust, in 1982 that was not a concern on the 914 from most of the suppliers. It replaced my stock 10 year old exhaust. Compared to stock, it worked great. But even better it no longer sounded like a vw bug. Anza / Monza made a system that flowed, with a more european sound. As they made exhaust systems for ferrari and the rest, it had that sound. But oh my word was the Anza loud. It would set off car alarms in parking structures. This one is an Anza / monza hybrid. I was able to get the tips farther up and back in using a 75/ 76 Monza mufflers. And they are quieter.
rjames
I had a late model Anza on my '75 for a year or so before I backdated the exhaust. Shivers isn't kidding about setting off car alarms. Happened all the time and I quickly grew tired of it. They just fit under the stock rear valance, but the exit pipes touch the valence. Maybe with a custom valence it would look better.
They also weigh a ton which is reason enough not to use one.
Shivers
The Anza did weigh a ton. Thick steel mufflers then wrapped with aluminum. These monza mufflers are a lot lighter. Ended up not too bad on the weight end. It had been a long time since I heard the tappets on this engine.
Shivers
QUOTE(rjames @ Mar 23 2021, 09:05 AM) *

I had a late model Anza on my '75 for a year or so before I backdated the exhaust. Shivers isn't kidding about setting off car alarms. Happened all the time and I quickly grew tired of it. They just fit under the stock rear valance, but the exit pipes touch the valence. Maybe with a custom valence it would look better.
They also weigh a ton which is reason enough not to use one.

I'm working on the valance.
rhodyguy
Ruins a good valance. Replacement muffler systems are easy enough to come by. Nice, unmolested valances? Not so much. More often than not, the bottoms of the tips are ground down from going up steep inclines and they drag on the pavement/concrete.
Shivers
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 24 2021, 08:17 AM) *

Ruins a good valance. Replacement muffler systems are easy enough to come by. Nice, unmolested valances? Not so much. More often than not, the bottoms of the tips are ground down from going up steep inclines and they drag on the pavement/concrete.

Yes I learned that from the anza, and it would hit the bottom of the valance. I bought this one new at porsche in 82' I 've had to weld the corners a couple times. That is why this one sits up much higher and farther back in. I also cut a front oil cooler opening into the stock sheet metal. Just in case you're not horrified enough. wink.gif
Shivers
Got the size from here
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.