Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: weather
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TROJANMAN
so i checked weather.com, b/c we are supposed to set sometemp records in denver this week. it said:

Sunny 98
feels like 93
wacko.gif

is there a difference? biggrin.gif
tat2dphreak
how'd you get your "feels like" LOWER... here it only does that in the winter...

right now:
temp 95
feels like 98

should just say "feels freakin' HOT!"
SLITS
If you have a wind or low humidity, the temp you feel will be lower than the actual temp.

Now, if you have high humidity and no wind , the temp you feel will be higher than the actual.

Taking into consideration the adabatic lapse rate, coupled with the dew point, sea level pressure in millibars, actual temperature, evaporative rate of sweat, wind direction, wind force and the number of pharts within a square mile; it's fuchin HOT everywhere but hell.
Allan
It's called a heat index. Takes into account all of the things Slits said.
Joe Bob
It's a dry heat.....
tat2dphreak
jeez, you make one dry joke and forget the smiley and you get "meteorology 101"

west TX does the same thing... here it's humid all year round, west tx is dry,dry,dry makes a big difference
SLITS
Oh No, Zits has eyeballs growin' in his ass. Now he can see A-aron Admin/Miles sneakin' up.
Trevorg7
Per my wife who is an actual meteorologist; the reason the temperature feels like 93 is due to low humidity. The temperature your body feels is 93. This is just the opposite to wind chill which takes into account wind speed as opposed to humidity.

At higher humidity the 'feels like temp' is higher than the actual temp.

BTW - you have about 8% humidity right now.

T via Sue AKA the "Weather Chic"
Allan
QUOTE (Trevog7 @ Jul 19 2005, 04:53 PM)

What channel?
MoveQik
QUOTE (Trevog7 @ Jul 19 2005, 03:53 PM)
Per my wife who is an actual meteorologist;

That is an awesome job! I always thought a weather forecaster, helicopter pilot or a sniper(I know it's weird, but how cool of a business card would THAT be!)would be the coolest jobs in the world.

You should see our weather folks here in Phoenix right now. This is the only time of the year that we actually get weather that is interesting. You would think they were covering the hurricanes. It is pretty amusing. screwy.gif
MoveQik
Here are our headlines right now...

Heat death toll hits 11

Republic staff, wire reports
Jul. 19, 2005 11:00 AM

Eleven deaths in Phoenix are being blamed on a heat wave that has hammered the Valley with searing temperatures and days of excessive-heat warnings. All but two of the victims were homeless people. The other two were elderly women.

The latest victims include two homeless men and a woman in her 70s, whose decomposing body was found in her central Phoenix house. Police spokesman Detective Tony Morales said the cooling system in the house either wasn't on or wasn't working. One of earlier victims was an 81-year-old woman.

The high Tuesday was forecast to be 113 degrees, and Phoenix is under a heat advisory until 8 p.m. Monday's high was 113, 6 degrees above normal

And...

28 dogs die in training facility as AC fails

Thomas Ropp and Kate Nolan
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 19, 2005 12:35 PM

Animal behaviorist Leighton Oosthuisen called it the "worst nightmare of his life" when he discovered 28 dead dogs at his training facility in northeast Phoenix.

Welcome to Phoenix....I guess.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Jul 19 2005, 07:05 PM)
QUOTE (Trevog7 @ Jul 19 2005, 03:53 PM)
Per my wife who is an actual meteorologist;

That is an awesome job! I always thought a weather forecaster, helicopter pilot or a sniper(I know it's weird, but how cool of a business card would THAT be!)would be the coolest jobs in the world.

You should see our weather folks here in Phoenix right now. This is the only time of the year that we actually get weather that is interesting. You would think they were covering the hurricanes. It is pretty amusing. screwy.gif

laugh.gif

ever seen Grosse point Blank?

"I'm a hitman now"

"that's good, a growth industry"
SLITS
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jul 19 2005, 04:48 PM)
jeez, you make one dry joke and forget the smiley and you get "meteorology 101"

We Californians take ya'll Tejans seriously lol2.gif
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jul 19 2005, 03:51 PM)
so i checked weather.com, b/c we are supposed to set sometemp records in denver this week. it said:

Sunny 98
feels like 93
wacko.gif

is there a difference? biggrin.gif

Take it from a professional pilot. The difference between 98 and 93 is 5.
Cheers, Elliot
redshift
Yeah, it's windchill factor..... for instance... here, it was 8,004º today, but we had a wind from somewhere south of Hell, @6kts, and 10,000% relative humidity.

With the windchill factor, it felt like it was 19,029º.

.... and I have a summer cold..

grrrr

M
Trevorg7
Yeah the 'Weather Chic' her online forcasting aka has a cool gig but not in weather anymore. She worked at CNN out of college then realized she missed California so we move back. Now she makes movies; don't ask how that transition goes. She is an animator now for movies; Antz, Shrek, Madagascar. And animation for EA games too; Bond 007, Freak Style, God Father, etc.

Anyway, she still has the pasion for weather but loves making movies...check the credits and cheer!

T
SLITS
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Jul 19 2005, 08:32 PM)
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jul 19 2005, 03:51 PM)
so i checked weather.com, b/c we are supposed to set sometemp records in denver this week.  it said:

Sunny 98
feels like 93  
wacko.gif

is there a difference?  :D

Take it from a professional pilot. The difference between 98 and 93 is 5.
Cheers, Elliot

didya use your E6B ta figere that one out?
Jake Raby
I'll take the heat and humidity that we are supposed to have this time of year over this damn rain! It has rain 15 inches here since July 1! We normally don't get 15" all damn summer.

I had to take this entire week to clean the shops because of the mess all the rain has made.
It was 93 today and super humid- just the way I like it- STAY AWAY RAIN!!!!!!
rhodyguy
the drivers for the 20 mule team borax shipments found that dry heat in death valley much cooler. 125* felt like 123*.

k
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Jul 19 2005, 08:29 PM)
I'll take the heat and humidity that we are supposed to have this time of year over this damn rain! It has rain 15 inches here since July 1! We normally don't get 15" all damn summer.

I had to take this entire week to clean the shops because of the mess all the rain has made.
It was 93 today and super humid- just the way I like it- STAY AWAY RAIN!!!!!!

Your welcome for the rain. Dennis only dropped about an inch here. Saved it all for you guys up north. Good thing ya'll live on a hill.

Oh back to heat index. Easy stick your head outside 1 minute. then turn on oven stick head in oven till it feels the same.
Windchill substitute oven for stand up freezer Must be naked for accurate readings.

Hey weather chic How'd I do? lol2.gif

Don't expect to see the devil here for another month or so. Says it's too damn hot for him. Hmm guess he's in Georgia now. Come on ya'll know the song.
TravisNeff
Was that derived from the swamp ass factor? Making your own gravy has never been so much fun
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Jul 20 2005, 08:35 AM)

Don't expect to see the devil here for another month or so. Says it's too damn hot for him.  Hmm guess he's in Georgia now.  Come on ya'll know the song.

"................lookin for a soul to steal........" happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.