Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need to sell my father's 914, looking for advice.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
connorkmiec93
Hello all!

My father passed away last year and I need to sell his 1973 914. I have no idea what I am doing so I was hoping I could get some advice from this forum.

I do not know much about the car. I have the title and know it is a 1973 914, the title was issued in 1978 to my father. According to my Wikipedia research, the engine must be a 1.7 or 2.0. I think it is the 1.7, but I am not certain. VERY shortly after getting it, my father wanted to paint the car, so he disassembled it (doors, windows, bumpers, trim, etc), stripped the paint, and then essentially never touched it again. (This was a theme with him...) So now the car has been sitting, semi-disassembled for about 40 years. The vehicle was indoors all this time, so I think it is in pretty good shape, but there is some surface rust as you would expect.

Unfortunately I do not have any pictures yet. The car is in storage in Green Bay, Wi. I will be traveling to Green Bay next week to help clear out the storage shed the car is in. At that time I will be able to get pictures.

My questions are as follows:
  1. I am looking for an easy sale, is it sale to assume parting it our would be a huge effort?
  2. Is this forum the best way to sell the vehicle?
  3. Any idea on value, or what I should be asking for?
  4. Any other advice?

Thank you very much in advance, I appreciate the help.
Connor Kmiec

peteyd
QUOTE(connorkmiec93 @ Mar 23 2021, 07:32 AM) *

Hello all!

My father passed away last year and I need to sell his 1973 914. I have no idea what I am doing so I was hoping I could get some advice from this forum.

I do not know much about the car. I have the title and know it is a 1973 914, the title was issued in 1978 to my father. According to my Wikipedia research, the engine must be a 1.7 or 2.0. I think it is the 1.7, but I am not certain. VERY shortly after getting it, my father wanted to paint the car, so he disassembled it (doors, windows, bumpers, trim, etc), stripped the paint, and then essentially never touched it again. (This was a theme with him...) So now the car has been sitting, semi-disassembled for about 40 years. The vehicle was indoors all this time, so I think it is in pretty good shape, but there is some surface rust as you would expect.

Unfortunately I do not have any pictures yet. The car is in storage in Green Bay, Wi. I will be traveling to Green Bay next week to help clear out the storage shed the car is in. At that time I will be able to get pictures.

1. I am looking for an easy sale, is it sale to assume parting it our would be a huge effort?
  4. Any other advice?
Connor Kmiec

Post lots of photos. exterior, interior engine bay, underneath the car, behind the rocker panels, front and rear trunks.

If there is little rust then you could get good money. 73 is one of the more desirable years. If it is a 2.0L then even more money.

after you get all the photos up, the forum will give you a good value of the car.

Pete

connorkmiec93
QUOTE(peteyd @ Mar 23 2021, 10:50 AM) *

QUOTE(connorkmiec93 @ Mar 23 2021, 07:32 AM) *

Hello all!

4. Any other advice?
Connor Kmiec

Post lots of photos. exterior, interior engine bay, underneath the car, behind the rocker panels, front and rear trunks.

If there is little rust then you could get good money. 73 is one of the more desirable years. If it is a 2.0L then even more money.

after you get all the photos up, the forum will give you a good value of the car.

Pete

Thanks for the reply. I will get the pictures taken as soon as I can. What is the easiest way to tell which engine it is? Can the VIN be decoded to determine this?

Thanks!
framos914
You can find the engine number on top of engine.
1.7 will start with letters W, EA or EB. 2.0 will start with GA or GB.
infraredcalvin
Agree with the above. You're going to take a big hit on value due to the car being disassembled. As for parting it out, you'll find that you wont ask enough for the desirable parts, then be left with a bunch of parts you cant get rid of. Easiest would be to stick to your guns and sell it as a project whole.
connorkmiec93
QUOTE(framos914 @ Mar 23 2021, 11:03 AM) *

You can find the engine number on top of engine.
1.7 will start with letters W, EA or EB. 2.0 will start with GA or GB.

Thanks, I am trying to get my sister to check for me. I plan to just make a proper classified post next week, when I have more info and pictures. Just trying to get a ball park on value and find out what I need to know.

Thanks!
connorkmiec93
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Mar 23 2021, 11:05 AM) *

Agree with the above. You're going to take a big hit on value due to the car being disassembled. As for parting it out, you'll find that you wont ask enough for the desirable parts, then be left with a bunch of parts you cant get rid of. Easiest would be to stick to your guns and sell it as a project whole.

Selling as whole is what I would prefer. He actaully had a 914 previous to this one that he totaled, so maybe we will find some 'extra' parts in his storage sheds.

Thanks.
burlybryan
QUOTE(connorkmiec93 @ Mar 23 2021, 12:13 PM) *

Selling as whole is what I would prefer. He actaully had a 914 previous to this one that he totaled, so maybe we will find some 'extra' parts in his storage sheds.

Thanks.

I'll be driving through Green Bay this Sunday (early afternoon) and could take a look and verify engine for you. I'm not in the market (I have my own basket case 914), but would be happy to share my limited knowledge and advice.

PM me if you like.

Bryan
connorkmiec93
QUOTE(burlybryan @ Mar 23 2021, 11:17 AM) *

QUOTE(connorkmiec93 @ Mar 23 2021, 12:13 PM) *

Thanks.

I'll be driving through Green Bay this Sunday (early afternoon) and could take a look and verify engine for you. I'm not in the market (I have my own basket case 914), but would be happy to share my limited knowledge and advice.

PM me if you like.

Bryan

Thanks for the offer but I live in Detroit. I will only be in Green Bay starting next Wednesday to clear out my Dad's storage sheds where the 914 is located.
framos914
This is a small example of what you need to show. I just missed out on this 71 project but it was selling for $2,500, owner had also passed.
Looks rough but body was very solid, included 1.7 & 1.8 engine and trans (condition unknown), parts missing. As example this shows longs and he'll hole.Click to view attachment
connorkmiec93
QUOTE(framos914 @ Mar 23 2021, 11:28 AM) *

This is a small example of what you need to show. I just missed out on this 71 project but it was selling for $2,500, owner had also passed.
Looks rough but body was very solid, included 1.7 & 1.8 engine and trans (condition unknown), parts missing. As example this shows longs and he'll hole.Click to view attachment

Good data point, thanks! I think this condition is probably comparable. I think the structure of my Dad's should be in good shape since it hasn't seen the road (or salt) in 40 years. Fingers crossed.
Tom_T
QUOTE(connorkmiec93 @ Mar 23 2021, 09:13 AM) *

Thanks.

Try to get all of the misc parts/boxes from all locations gathered together for the sale, to deal with it as one, plus the parts stash may get you a better package price from someone who knows them & is willing to take the time to part out what isn't ultimately needed to complete the car as the new owner wants.

Also keep an eye out for documents on the 914, as your Dad may have more info, service records, whether 1.7 or 2.0, COA, etc. which will help you definitively id the car & add to the complete package of the car. His files may not be in the boxes & car in storage/garage/barn, but rather around his home or office (speaking from my personal experience with my own 914 stored since 1985 dry.gif ).

Once you have it all together with pix posted here, folks can offer pricing advice. Then you can list here & TheSamba.com for free, & hit the 914 crowd worldwide.

Also post when you'll be in GB & see if any local 914ers can come by & help you with identification, values, etc.

Condolences for your loss, and good luck with the sale.

Tom
///////
connorkmiec93
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 23 2021, 12:26 PM) *

QUOTE(connorkmiec93 @ Mar 23 2021, 09:13 AM) *

Thanks.

Try to get all of the misc parts/boxes from all locations gathered together for the sale, to deal with it as one, plus the parts stash may get you a better package price from someone who knows them & is willing to take the time to part out what isn't ultimately needed to complete the car as the new owner wants.

Also keep an eye out for documents on the 914, as your Dad may have more info, service records, whether 1.7 or 2.0, COA, etc. which will help you definitively id the car & add to the complete package of the car. His files may not be in the boxes & car in storage/garage/barn, but rather around his home or office (speaking from my personal experience with my own 914 stored since 1985 dry.gif ).

Once you have it all together with pix posted here, folks can offer pricing advice. Then you can list here & TheSamba.com for free, & hit the 914 crowd worldwide.

Also post when you'll be in GB & see if any local 914ers can come by & help you with identification, values, etc.

Condolences for your loss, and good luck with the sale.

Tom
///////

I appreciate the feedback, thank you!
SKL1
I don't think you'll have any trouble finding interested parties in the midwest... if it is reasonably complete and reasonably rust "free" it will be an easy and quick sale.
connorkmiec93
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Mar 23 2021, 02:10 PM) *

I don't think you'll have any trouble finding interested parties in the midwest... if it is reasonably complete and reasonably rust "free" it will be an easy and quick sale.

Is this forum the best place to sell?
Cairo94507
I think this will be a great spot to sell your dad's 914. Like others have said, pictures is what will sell it. Try to lay out parts in the driveway or garage and take photos so people will see what is included. Paperwork helps. Photos of the complete car, inside, trunks, bottom, exterior, etc. I would not suggest trying to part it out as it will take forever and leave you with a bunch of parts no one would likely want. Should be a come and get it - all - for the sale. Sorry about the passing of your father. Good luck with the sale. beerchug.gif
CptTripps
First: Condolences on your loss. I lost one of my fathers in January to COVID and know that pain. Going through all his stuff to figure out what it's worth is a huge undertaking and I can sympathize with you.

Next: As others have said, take lots and lots of pics and post them here. This is a good group of people and we'll collectively steer you in the right direction. I'm sure we have members in the area that would happily meet you at the storage location and give you a good idea of what you have.
Freezin 914
I am an hour away and willing to help you however I can. Let me know what you may need.
SKL1
Since I'm a stock owner (1 share of the Packers) I could see it at the same time as the summer "stockholders" meeting at Lambeau...
smile.gif

If I was still in the midwest I'd love to look it over, but that's a hike from Scottsdale!
rhodyguy
This will be the easiest place for you to sell. Doubt you will get dicked around. Get some opinions. Look around the classifieds in the 'cars for sale' forum.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.