Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DIY Rust Bucket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GeorgeKopf
I created a lattice of coper wire in place of the bottom of an old 5 gallon bucket.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I then put the sacrificial steel in the bottom of another 5 gallon bucket.
Click to view attachment

Add some washing soda.
Click to view attachment

Plug in a 4amp transformer.
Click to view attachment

I let it run until the bubbles stop which can be a couple of days, turning the parts periodically.
Click to view attachment

I'm surprised and pleased by how well it works. stirthepot.gif Any metal that is touching the copper wires or touching another piece that is touching the copper wires gets cleaned. If I have small parts like nuts or washers I just thread them together on a loop of copper wire and drop it in.

George
wes
Now if we could just get a bucket big enough for the 914 body.
Rob-O
QUOTE(wes @ Mar 24 2021, 09:04 PM) *

It would never stop bubbling...
TRS63
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Mar 25 2021, 07:00 AM) *

QUOTE(wes @ Mar 24 2021, 09:04 PM) *

It would never stop bubbling...

Or would end up empty laugh.gif

Antoine
Tdskip
I did the same thing on a gear set for a TR3 I had and it worked great. Just PLEASE keep in mind the byproducts of this are very nasty and toxic.
GeorgeKopf
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 25 2021, 11:14 AM) *

I did the same thing on a gear set for a TR3 I had and it worked great. Just PLEASE keep in mind the byproducts of this are very nasty and toxic.

@Tdskip

According to this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi-tK1jwO-k at 16:30 explains the chemical reaction. The only byproducts are Hydrogen and Ferrous Oxide.

But, you are correct when talking about using stainless steel as your sacrificial metal. Stainless steel contains chromium. The electrodes, and thus the chromium is consumed, and you end up with poisonous chromates in your electrolyte.

BillJ
I thought this was another build thread HA!
Tdskip
@GeorgeKopf - sorry for not being more specific. If “only” regular metal for sure then not that toxic but Hydrogen gas is a byproduct so please make sure to do this outside folks.

Please post from before / after pictures!
GeorgeKopf
I didn't take any "before" photos ... blink.gif

This is my pedal cluster after:

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

and this is the sacrificial piece of metal:

Click to view attachment

George
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.