Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Loading a 914 no Suspension wheels engine or trans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wes
Bringing home on trailer a striped 914 body no eng, trans or suspension pretty much bare body so wondering if 4 people can lift it on the trailer? I have no idea what the lbs might but thinking it could be done with four men.
infraredcalvin
Works with furniture dolly and two people as well...
Shivers
A bare tub is like 500 lbs. How big are your 4 guy's?
mepstein
QUOTE(Shivers @ Mar 25 2021, 08:23 PM) *

A bare tub is like 500 lbs. How big are your 4 guy's?

A tub is 500 but add in doors, hoods, etc and it adds up. Especially if glass is on the car.

A simple cart on wheels will make it a lot easier. Can you rent some kind of cart.

If I was doing it myself, I would put a hitch on the trailer (harbor freight sells one for $25 with a nylon strap that is made for this) and then use motorcycle ramps to pull it onto the trailer. Lay a bunch of cardboard on the ramps to reduce friction or get two furniture dollies under the car with wide ramps.

Or get the car high enough to just slide onto the trailer by hand.
infraredcalvin
The biggest issue with manually lifting is the handhold. Now that I think about it, I cut my hand open pretty good lifting at the fenders... we had the car high enough to back the trailer partially under the nose. Picked up the front and put it on a dolly. Then we slid/picked up the rear to slide it in, then another dolly at the back of the floor panel to wheel it in the rest of the way. We were in the dirt/grass, so it made it more challenging cause we couldn’t roll anything till it was on the trailer.
bdstone914
I loaded one on a trailer using some 6 in round fence posts as rollers. Have to move them from rear to front as you roll it along. Put the first roller at the front of the pan.

@wes
mepstein
Jared and I just put the front half of a 912 into a box truck. It had the front suspension and wheels on it and was heavier than we expected. If we didn't have a lift cart, it wouldn't have worked. Ok, I know i'm not strong but it's awkward to lift a car by hand.

Wear leather work gloves. Sheet metal cuts skin quickly.
wes
Thanks all but turns out sad to say it’s a bit liter than expected do to the holes from rust! It’s not worth the drive plan is off!
All we really wanted was the four fenders to replace the plastic flared fenders on Manas’s, my son project car
infraredcalvin
@wes I have the cuts from my car that I’ll never put back on... shoot me a pm if interested...
trojanhorsepower
Moved mine with 5 guys and wish we would have had 6. All pretty good size fellas but its heavy and uncomfortable to hold.
930cabman
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 25 2021, 07:17 PM) *

I loaded one on a trailer using some 6 in round fence posts as rollers. Have to move them from rear to front as you roll it along. Put the first roller at the front of the pan.

@wes

Thanks to the Egyptians 4500 years ago
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.