Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mixed Feelings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GeorgeRud
This auction for my 914-6 just ended today on BAT, and it brings about mixed feelings. Though it sold for a nice amount, having owned it since 1978 makes me feel like I just sold a member of the family. Since I could no longer drive the car myself, I felt guilty just letting it sit in the garage and deteriorate. In that respect, I’m glad that it will be going to a new caretaker and hopefully be enjoyed for many more years.

I have always loved the comradery of this 914 community, and hope to be able to continue providing advice to newer enthusiast (some of it may even be correct). Though we must get older, we don’t have to grow up, so we still play with cars. Glad to see that there still is a lot of enthusiasm for Porsche’s bastard stepchild from the 70s!
Mueller
Hi George,

Not sure whether to congratulate you or offer my condolences. Let's hope it went to a good home is all we could ask.

I cannot remember, is this the car we drove (you drove) when I went to Chicago so many years ago?

Mike
GBX0073
George you did the right thing you sent the car off better than you maybe found it.
I let my first sports car rust away before parting with it
Best thing to do right now is start the searching process for the next car
I really appreciate all the information you have to offer and hope you continue to share
Cairo94507
Congratulations George for letting your car go to the next care taker who will no doubt love and care for it as you did. beerchug.gif Michael
larryM
did the same with my GT, yr-&-half ago - deciding to sell was months of soul-searching stress

turns out i don't miss it ... 43 yrs was long enuf -

the cash in bank is gonna help buy another house

tho't i'd look for a 3.2 carrera, but prices don't justify the use i'd get from one ... so i'm done with Porsche's (first was '67 911 in 1971 ... )

a yr of pandemic purgatory probably helped with disengagement from the PCA social camaraderie scene

still have 2 more "cheap" classic sports cars for occ'l back-roads drives & AX
Camaro Mike
Congratulations George and thank you for the 914 advice and comradery over the years. If you ever feel the need for a 914 fix I'm just down the road or as close as the next Chicago Region P&P and happy to share.
Shivers
You can take a man out of his Porsche, but you can't take the Porsche out of the man. Advise is always appreciated. I'm sorry
Tdskip
Nothing says you can’t hang out here still, share your wisdom and learnings, and have some fun.
infraredcalvin
We’re all just caretakers for the next owners, doesn’t mean you need to cut off from this great group of people, there are plenty of right seats available!
wonkipop
the cars will outlive us.
thats good.

raise a glass to all who believed in the pariahs and kept them on the road. beerchug.gif
CptTripps
It was an incredible car, that went for an excellent price. Very well sold.

We all have things like that in our life, and life is full of letting go of things we love sometimes. As mentioned before, there are literally hundreds of us that would happily let you ride shotgun, or even just toss you the keys for the weekend. I know it's not the same, but think of the enjoyment that you've had over the last 40+ years with the car, and you're passing it on to someone else that'll maybe enjoy it for another 40+ years.

As stated before...condolences and congratulations.
ClayPerrine
This seems to fit here...

Click to view attachment

Root_Werks
I let go of Porsches, 914's specifically so my wife and I could embark on other things for a while. 10 years later I was able to pick up another 914 and finish our goals.

Maybe another 914 is in your future?
tygaboy
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 26 2021, 05:33 AM) *

This seems to fit here...

Click to view attachment

@ClayPerrine
Sorry for the OT.

Clay - Thanks for this. My mom wore purple all the time, and was known for it. I read "When I'm an old woman, I shall wear purple" at her memorial.
I believe I'll demand your version be read at mine.
I owe you for this one.
Thanks again,
Chris
mb911
George,

I hope it went to a good home. I am glad it sold very well. Best wishes.
Chris H.
George, you were an excellent caretaker of that car. I remember seeing you/it at an event way back in 2002. Who knows what would have become of it had you not found it on that farm 40+ years ago. Glad you got good money for it, which also pretty much guarantees it will be well taken care of by the its new owner.
sixnotfour
Gave my Dads 914-6 to my son 2 years ago...bought in 76 for 3250.00,,,,
MM1
George, your laborious and painful calculations were no doubt correct . . . as you well know, it is always the heart that longs for the pleasures of the past.

Anytime you find yourself in Southern California, let us know - you’ll no doubt have plenty of drives and rides to enjoy if you wish. I hope to have the pleasure of meeting you and hearing you reminisce one day.

Clay - well done, Sir, as always.

Chris - good call. . . may that requiem be many years from now.

-Marcus
ClayPerrine
George... no matter how much this hurts, you did the right thing.

When I was 22, I sold my first car, a 69 Firebird. And I later regretted it. So I vowed to never sell my 914.

Recent events have led me to rethink that statement. Cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed. I don't want it to end up like the Triumph TR6 owned by the guy across the street from me. He loves his car, but he can't drive it any more. So he occasionally starts it up to keep it running, but it hasn't left the garage in years. And I don't want it to end up like my father's vintage Chevy's. I have to sell them after he passed in December, and frankly I don't know anyone who would want them. So I am going to put them in consignment to be sold. That to me feels like an orphanage for classic cars. They just sit there unwanted, waiting for someone to adopt them.

But the day will eventually come where I won't be able to get in to my 914 or be able to push in the clutch. When that day comes, I will sell my car. I am going to be damn picky about who buys it. I want them to know how much it means to me, and they will take care of it. I will never be happy selling my car, but I will be comforted knowing it went to a good home.

Then I am going to show up at every 914 event I can. I am going to demand someone give me a ride, and I am going to be the crotchety old man who critiques every 914 out there. I am going to tell everyone how they are doing it wrong.

And until that day, I am going to live up to my poem.

George... Be comforted in knowing you chose the next caretaker of your 914-6. And I will offer you a ride anytime we are at an event together.

Clay
Jett
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 26 2021, 04:00 PM) *

That’s great!
930cabman
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 26 2021, 05:00 PM) *

This is what it's all about. Thanks for sharing to all, OP included
pete000
Never too late to start looking for a replacement !

I don't think I could ever sell mine just for this reason...
GeorgeRud
Thanks for all the nice wishes, I do hope to be able to still share my knowledge with future owners.

I’ll have to search for another Porsche with an automatic transmission that can carry a wheelchair. I think it’ll probably end up being a Cayenne, but I don’t care for all the complications (and depreciation). Time will tell what I find, but I’ll enjoy the search.
SKL1
Sorry you had to sell the 6, but I can recommend a Macan GTS- you'd be surprised how great a SUV can be, and it is definitely a real Porsche, something many said a 914 wasn't when I got mine over 50 year ago!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.