Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Barrett Jackson 2021
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Freezin 914
Just curious on everybody’s thoughts on the 2-914’s that sold yesterday.
1-70 914/6 appeared mostly original with some minor cosmetic issues. Sold 80k
1-74 914/4 1.8 steel flared cookie cutters, looked to have fiberglass bumpers. Sold 78k
Seemed like crazy money for a 4 cyl......
idea.gif popcorn[1].gif
Bleyseng
I am stunned that the 1.8l sold for that
DRPHIL914
huh.gif huh.gif blink.gif

seems crazy right? my car doesnt have steel flares but sometimes i wonder based on these silly auction numbers what a car like mine is worth, i know what Haggerty says for Agreed value coverages, but is this real market pricing or just auction stupidness??
gereed75
Not seems crazy - is crazy. I guess that is what some shiny paint and over armor alled plastic can do. Wow
rmital
I might have sold them my 73 2.0 for half that?! sunglasses.gif
rhodyguy
Too many cocktails waiting for the car you THINK you GOTTA have.
Jake Raby
Its amazing what happens when a different crowd starts thinking the 914 is cool, and a car to have.
I've been blown away with the demand for my engines for 914s again. For the last 20 years I did more 914 conversions into 356s, 912s, and VWs than I built for the actual 914 application. That has completely changed today, and we knew it would.

I need to do a "Renncast" about all this, and get some old forum members in on the broadcast, so we can remind everyone what it used to be like in the old days. These new "followers" have no idea what its was like.
doug_b_928
I didn't catch the broadcast yesterday so just did a quick search and the website linked below came up. I'm not familiar with the site, but it states that this car sold at BJ last Fall for $20,900 and it lists yesterday's result as "withdrawn." Maybe it's bad info on the website site and the sale did, indeed, go through but the "withdrawn" makes one wonder...

https://www.classic.com/veh/1974-porsche-91...916100-Wk5EkR4/
infraredcalvin
Problem is that there had to be at least two people out of their mind bidding up that one! Imagine the seller’s thoughts before and after the withdrawal....
robsled
It reminds me of the BJ auction 4 years ago when a split window VW bus sold for $200,000. Everyone thought that their bus was now worth that much.
Reality is clouded.
But I see no reason our air cooled 914s shouldn't be increasing in value.
That 1.8 however was way over bidded.
rhodyguy
5 months triple the price? What it ever it might have cost to build it is not relavent. I've never seen a sale withdrawn. Thought BJ has been noted for shill bidding in the past?
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 26 2021, 08:12 AM) *
Thought BJ has been noted for shill bidding in the past?

I can’t see them doing it for this car though... here’s a stretch, reminds me of Starski and Hutch... some $$$ laundering going on here? idea.gif
jasons
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 26 2021, 06:29 AM) *

In case anyone didn't realize this... A bidder pass at the BJ basically comes with enough drink passes to require you and a friend to be carried out. Since it's in my back yard, I've attended many times and I have a relative who buys the bidders package just to get the drink and party passes. There really is no logic to the bidding. You would be surprised at the (low)quality of a lot of these cars in person.
930cabman
Mob mentality or the excitement of the venue?

Still one begs to wonder?
doug_b_928
Just went to that website again that I linked above and now it says "Sold $85,800."
Tom_T
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 26 2021, 05:12 AM) *

I am stunned that the 1.8l sold for that

It's more amazing that the -6 only sold for that - about the same price as the /4 1.8L - when the 914-6's have been north of $100K for several years now. huh.gif

beerchug.gif
tom
///////
Coondog
Watching BJ today, seems like most cars are selling for 2-3 times higher then 2 years ago.
I think people have been cooped up to long and lost there brains or maybe they know something about there 401k tanking in the future and want to reinvest there money... idea.gif
73-914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 26 2021, 09:29 AM) *

agree.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Coondog @ Mar 27 2021, 05:43 PM) *

Watching BJ today, seems like most cars are selling for 2-3 times higher then 2 years ago.
I think people have been cooped up to long and lost there brains or maybe they know something about there 401k tanking in the future and want to reinvest there money... idea.gif

Money supply has increased drastically.

Each dollar now has less purchasing power. Prices rise as a result.

Click to view attachment
wonkipop
QUOTE(Coondog @ Mar 27 2021, 03:43 PM) *

Watching BJ today, seems like most cars are selling for 2-3 times higher then a year ago.

agree.gif

did 6 come up before 1.8 on the day?
uninformed buyers thought result for 6 set a price?

pete000
A fool and his money are soon parted, good for the guy who consigned the orange 1.8 though !
scallyk9
QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Mar 26 2021, 10:31 AM) *

Just went to that website again that I linked above and now it says "Sold $85,800."

It also says that the $85,800 includes the buyers fee, which is 10%. I hope the same 2 or 3 buyers are present if I auction one of mine. I'll even pay for their bidding package including full drink chits.
PanelBilly
Black and white sign that said CLEAN RESTROOMS went for $1,000 on Monday when I was there. I couldn't stop laughing.
SKL1
Went on Monday and can't believe I missed the 6 that was there. Very unimpressed with the selection and overall quality. And the number of cars was way down, especially the outside area and tents.
Some friends from my previous residence in IA are vendors there every year selling memorabilia etc and they said B-J didn't give them any reduction in rent even considering how much smaller crowd was allowed. A total rip off...
Watching some tonight on TV assures me alcohol and bidding do not go hand in hand...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.