Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Mufflers!?! - Neat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
In my quest for a Supertraps-looking muffler, that won't have the low end torque loss problems associated with Supertrapps, I picked up a pair of Coast Fabrication 14" mufflers to try on the conversion car.

These guyy supposedly meet SCCA 95 dB sound requirements. All stainless construction with a replaceable ceramic muffler cartridge along the edges of the pipe.

The 911 guys love them.

Upon receipt., I noticed the "flow thru" design.

So how do these things work? I figure a "muffler" would have some sort of baffle and I figure the cartridge would be IN the air stream instead of on the periphery...

IPB Image

IPB Image
Brad Roberts
WHOA Karl..

I dont normally SCREAM RICE.. but come on.. WTF ??

You'll have to mount them behind the car or they will drag the ground at every incline.

Looks like a S-Car-Go rip off...lol

B
Qarl
Actually, Sir Brad, the are quite small... only 4.5" diameter total and 14" long...

Tell me... does this look Rice to you? (Same muffler)
Brad Roberts
That isnt how YOUR mufflers mount...

Your pics are decieving.. they look like they are 14 inches in diameter ..LOL

Sorry Karl.. had me scared there.

The mufflers are "packed" exactly like a SuperTrapp and every other "Glasspack" out there.

The only real innovators of mufflers in 50 years has been Flowmaster with their "sound cancelation" approach.

We buy the "space age" packing from SuperTrapp and build our own mufflers...

Your really had me scared...

B
Brad Roberts
My only size reference happened to be your dining table placemats. clap56.gif

B
drew365
Karl; We have the same glass dinette table. My wife would hang me by my gonads if I put my muffler up on it. mad.gif I'm going to try to dyno my SuperTrapps this week with discs and without. I'll post the results.
TimT
Bras those coast muff are hardly rice, I mean they are all go and a bit of show..
Brad Roberts
I thought the diameter of those was HUGE (ala rice).. once he told me they where 4.5 inch in diameter.. I retracted my "Rice Salute" finger.gif

B
redshift
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 21 2003, 03:54 PM)
Your pics are decieving.. they look like they are 14 inches in diameter ..LOL

ROFLMAO!

"Looks like a Zip-Zap!"

M
SirAndy
must be a tiny table. rolleyes.gif

sound is a wave. by the time it get's to the muffler it's already chaotically bouncing off the inside walls of the headers in pretty much all directions.
that's why the "flow through" still works. you don't restrict the flow of the exhaust gases but the sound will still break when it hits the mesh ...

Andy
boxstr
Tonights special, Monster Garage meets Monster Home. Watch as Jeese decorates for the Motorhead.
CCLINGLASPACKVILLE
Brad Roberts
Borla's are the same...

They adjust the "noise" outside of the muffler by the size of the holes in the perforated tube they use (the one you can see). Different manufacturers will use different size tubing with different sized holes. Then they use whatever "packing" material they can find that wont blow out... like the old glasspacks.

Same way pizza places have different pizza's (ovens have plates in them with different sized holes for more or less heat over a given time)

B
Brad Roberts
Hey.. you never answered my G-50 question in the 914 (Craig)

B
boxstr
Whats the question?
CCLINKUSTOMKULTURE
Joe Bob
I had a choice of those or traps....went with the traps because I can add or remove discs.....
campbellcj
Keep us posted how those work out. I almost went that route but was unsure how the car would run or sound with them. So far I'm very pleased how it runs with the gutted Dansk "RSR" sausage. It needs some carb rejetting before I will try the open megaphones again; plus they are probably more suited for the bigger high speed tracks.
ninefourteener
Be careful with those Supertrapp mufflers. I used them long ago on an old El Camino I had. Within 1 month, the disks all turned black, and the chrome was peeling off.... they looked like shit.

If you do get them, be SURE you use some anti-sieze on the disk bolts. If not, when you take them off, you'll break the heads off the bolts, then you're screwed.

Just my opinion, to each his own
fuch toy
Yep antiseize is a good idea, use the s/s model they don't flake....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.