Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magnetic induction heater for rusty bolts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Anyone use one of these when dealing with a rusty car? For disclosure I’m asking about a non-Porsche inbound project, but for members here that are dealing with rusty cars I’m sure there’s some experience to be shared.

Worth the $200?

Click to view attachment
mepstein
They work well. My favorite use is getting the leftover bearing race off a rear hub. Heat it up and it just slides off the hub.

It’s a nice tool but a mapp torch is my go to first.
mate914
Yes 100% no FLAME!
Matt
Tdskip
I know it depends on the actual bolt and how rusty it is but how long does it need to be on the bolt to make a difference?
worn
They work well. Oxy acetylene does too. Access often decides which to use. My own method is penetrating oil followed by map gas torch followed by vigorous wrenching when the oil has burned off. And then I sometimes add oil to a hot part. BE EXTRA CAREFUL around anything hot or flaming. Keep an extinguisher near at hand and a container of cold water to stop progression of a burn if needed.
Good luck!
johnhora
On really stubborn parts I've been going to this instead of a torch....amazingly fast
Mark Henry
Are the extra elements different sizes or spares?

I use my oxy/propane torch, but I can see where this would be a nice addition.
DavidSweden
Always good to have a new tool, you never know when you may need it.
Mikey914
Heat in any form works. A handy too if open flame is not an option.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 26 2021, 02:45 PM) *

Are the extra elements different sizes or spares?

I use my oxy/propane torch, but I can see where this would be a nice addition.

I believe they are different sizes to fit different bolt heads.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.