Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aux Auxiliary Air Regulator valve AAR questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
steuspeed
I got mine out including the resistor. I measured the resistor at 0.4ohms. I believe the spec is 13ohm 1Watt. I have a Power Supply with adjustable Voltage DC. The red wire test continuity through the the device to the AAR body which would be ground on the car. I dial up 12V and the power supply meter on my power supply and the meter goes to zero when I make the connections + to red wire and - to AAR body. It makes no difference if I by-pass the resistor. The AAR does nothing. Open valve.

What am I looking at?

73 2.0L car.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Mar 26 2021, 11:54 PM) *

I got mine out including the resistor. I measured the resistor at 0.4ohms. I believe the spec is 13ohm 1Watt. I have a Power Supply with adjustable Voltage DC. The red wire test continuity through the the device to the AAR body which would be ground on the car. I dial up 12V and the power supply meter on my power supply and the meter goes to zero when I make the connections + to red wire and - to AAR body. It makes no difference if I by-pass the resistor. The AAR does nothing. Open valve.

What am I looking at?

73 2.0L car.

It's probably corroded inside and frozen. Try soaking it in PB Blaster. If that doesn't work, you might have to pry the case open and clean it out.
Superhawk996
Not sure why you mean by stating you bypassed the “resistor”

The only “resistor” in the AAR is the heating element. And it cannot be bypassed.

If your power supply drops to 0 volts when you connect the AAR, that is a sign that the red wire that leads to the heating element has become shorted to the AAR case. A very common failure mode for AAR.

If you are measuring the heating element at 0.4 ohms that is basically a short.

Voltage = current x resistance (ohms law). Current = voltage/resistance

Current = 12/0.4 = 30 amps

There is no way the AAR would draw that sort of current. Your power supply likely can’t support a 30a load and it is probably detecting the current overload and shutting its output off or simply measuring the voltage drop across its output. The voltage drop across a short circuit is always zero volts.
pete000
Soak it in Kerosene over night, blow it out and hook it up to 12V watch to see if it closes.

I made a You Tube time lapse showing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Tq-5Xz8XM
Rand
Toss it in the bin and be done with it. Along with the csv.
steuspeed
So I removed another AAR out of my 74 Outlaw car. The resistor tests at 5.3 ohms. No continuity from the red wire to the mounting bracket/case. Performed the same test with the resistor in path and 12V. The unit is functioning properly.

Can anyone confirm the what the resistor value should be?
cary
Not sure what you mean by stating you bypassed the “resistor”
I'm with @Superhawk996

I've never seen a resistor on a D-Jet AAR. Just the device with red pigtail.
Shoot us a picture.
steuspeed
QUOTE(cary @ Mar 28 2021, 07:45 AM) *

Not sure what you mean by stating you bypassed the “resistor”
I'm with @Superhawk996

I've never seen a resistor on a D-Jet AAR. Just the device with red pigtail.
Shoot us a picture.

Perhaps it is just the black connector on the end of the pigtail. One is measuring more resistive than the other.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.