Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 transmission corvair engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
goobstine
will the monza corsa corvair 6 cyl air cooled engine work with a stock 914 transmission. ( not mount it is already mounted with adapter plate ) it is my understanding corvair engine rotates counter clockwise. How could this possibly operate with a stock 914 transmission? I have the transmission out of the car is there any way to check the rotation of the trans gears and things to see if i am getting the correct rotation out of my trans in a reverse fashion for the corvair counter clockwise action i will be receiving.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(goobstine @ Mar 27 2021, 03:50 AM) *

will the monza corsa corvair 6 cyl air cooled engine work with a stock 914 transmission. ( not mount it is already mounted with adapter plate ) it is my understanding corvair engine rotates counter clockwise. How could this possibly operate with a stock 914 transmission? I have the transmission out of the car is there any way to check the rotation of the trans gears and things to see if i am getting the correct rotation out of my trans in a reverse fashion for the corvair counter clockwise action i will be receiving. any help would be appreciated.

There are companies that make (made) reverse rotation camshafts for Corvair engines. That is the proper way to put a Corvair engine against a 914 transmission.

Others will tell you to just flip the ring and pinion in the transmission. But that is a bad idea. The 901 transmission uses helical cut gears inside it to reduce noise. Whenever helical cut gears are used, the "climb" against each other, putting thrust loads on the shafts. That load is transferred to the transmission case. If you reverse the rotation of the input shaft, you will reverse the "climb" of the gears. And that reverses the thrust loads on the transmission case. The engineers that designed the transmission did not provide thrust bearings for the reversed load. So now the transmission is running thrust loads against the magnesium case without the proper thrust bearings. This drastically shortens the life of the transmission.

I hope that helps.

Clay
Mark Henry
If I was looking to do a different engine it would be a V8 or subi.
Personally with the 914 values going up I'd stick to the T4.
goobstine
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 27 2021, 05:54 AM) *

QUOTE(goobstine @ Mar 27 2021, 03:50 AM) *

will the monza corsa corvair 6 cyl air cooled engine work with a stock 914 transmission. ( not mount it is already mounted with adapter plate ) it is my understanding corvair engine rotates counter clockwise. How could this possibly operate with a stock 914 transmission? I have the transmission out of the car is there any way to check the rotation of the trans gears and things to see if i am getting the correct rotation out of my trans in a reverse fashion for the corvair counter clockwise action i will be receiving. any help would be appreciated.

There are companies that make (made) reverse rotation camshafts for Corvair engines. That is the proper way to put a Corvair engine against a 914 transmission.

Others will tell you to just flip the ring and pinion in the transmission. But that is a bad idea. The 901 transmission uses helical cut gears inside it to reduce noise. Whenever helical cut gears are used, the "climb" against each other, putting thrust loads on the shafts. That load is transferred to the transmission case. If you reverse the rotation of the input shaft, you will reverse the "climb" of the gears. And that reverses the thrust loads on the transmission case. The engineers that designed the transmission did not provide thrust bearings for the reversed load. So now the transmission is running thrust loads against the magnesium case without the proper thrust bearings. This drastically shortens the life of the transmission.

I hope that helps.

Clay

Thank you
goobstine
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 27 2021, 06:33 AM) *

rgalla9146
QUOTE(goobstine @ Mar 28 2021, 06:25 AM) *

I do not need or want your advise or comments ever ! please stay away from my posts. thank you

This may not end well.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 28 2021, 07:55 AM) *

I do not need or want your advise or comments ever ! please stay away from my posts. thank you

This may not end well.

I have no idea who goober is or what's his damage, but really I don't care.
rhodyguy
OH MY!
KELTY360
QUOTE(goobstine @ Mar 28 2021, 02:25 AM) *

What’s your problem newbie? That’s not how we treat people around here.
rhodyguy
Just put Mark on ignore if his comments are unwelcome. That's what we are told to do. Admins set appropriate content. Enjoy your covair engine build. Usually the parts required go for a short song due to the stalled project.
sixnotfour
Back in the Day ...Allot of ring gears got flipped...... 914 trans are Cheep..Go till She Blows...
Chances are itll drop a valve seat ,,,before the trans fails...
gandalf_025
I’m pretty sure if you flip the differential on a 914 transmission and
Change out the shift rods and end cover you get a 911 transmission..
Think it will work fine with a flipped diff.
Corvair engine would need a reverse cam and maybe a
reverse distributor drive gear set and they make a
kit to help the backwards fan belt stay on..
If you are going to use a Corvair engine,
make sure the valve seats are tight.
Those are a known weakness of those heads.
Front yard mechanic
Save the corvair barf.gif it's not worthy in a 914 pray.gif
clarkcou
QUOTE(goobstine @ Mar 28 2021, 03:25 AM) *

RUDE
goobstine
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Mar 28 2021, 03:14 PM) *

I’m pretty sure if you flip the differential on a 914 transmission and
Change out the shift rods and end cover you get a 911 transmission..
Think it will work fine with a flipped diff.
Corvair engine would need a reverse cam and maybe a
reverse distributor drive gear set and they make a
kit to help the backwards fan belt stay on..
If you are going to use a Corvair engine,
make sure the valve seats are tight.
Those are a known weakness of those heads.

thank you
goobstine
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 28 2021, 01:28 PM) *

Back in the Day ...Allot of ring gears got flipped...... 914 trans are Cheep..Go till She Blows...
Chances are itll drop a valve seat ,,,before the trans fails...

agreed,
thanks
goobstine
[quote name='clarkcou' post='2903719' date='Mar 28 2021, 10:11 PM']
[quote name='goobstine' post='2903436' date='Mar 28 2021, 03:25 AM']
[quote name='Mark Henry' post='2903166' date='Mar 27 2021, 06:33 AM']
[/quote
[/quote]

[/quote]
rhodyguy
Well? You're watching. Not OP.
goobstine
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 28 2021, 06:55 AM) *

This may not end well.

shut your piehole , stay off my posts please. opinions are not appreciated. they only show what you are and everybodys got one.
rhodyguy
You're only making the matter worse. Name calling is NOT allowed. Perhaps a moderator will see the action and will rectify the situation.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(goobstine @ Mar 29 2021, 10:36 AM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 28 2021, 06:55 AM) *

This may not end well.

shut your piehole , stay off my posts please. opinions are not appreciated. they only show what you are and everybodys got one.

Admin PM Sent.

Clay
914werke
popcorn[1].gif
jfort

[/quote]

As long as shots are being followed, it's ADVICE not advise.
rhodyguy
'Has' one if we're being picky. And skip the s.
oakdalecurtis
Click to view attachment
pcdarks
Interesting to see I'm not the only one to get frustrated at responses. When I ask if a seal will fit my 901 I would hear about someone's cat barfing in the living room or the seals may be endangered. I've come to realize a lot of 914 owners have moderate to severe ADD. Or are just trying to keep their post average up. LOL.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(goobstine @ Mar 28 2021, 03:25 AM) *

QUOTE(goobstine @ Aug 26 2020, 10:23 PM) *

QUOTE(goobstine @ Aug 26 2020, 11:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 22 2020, 12:08 PM) *

Is this going into a bus, bug or a 914?
-914 trans must have a 914 flywheel.
-for a bug (type 1) trans with a T4 bus flywheel you have to make the pilot hole the same size as a pilot bearing OD. You also need the crank spacer from a 914 crank. The easy route is you can buy a new type one 200mm conversion flywheel from AA.

Best to find a good 1.7/1,8 case as they likely don't need a line bore.
2.0 Bus crank and rods can be used with 2.0 pistons.

914 thanks

Thank you I want line bore, and lots of it.

screwy.gif screwy.gif
flippa
huh.gif

Good luck with your build
SirAndy
What the hell did i just walk into?
blink.gif
flat4guy
OTTO used to make a kit to mate a corvair 6 with a VW. Not sure if they did one for the 914 but maybe worth looking into.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 29 2021, 05:24 PM) *

What the hell did i just walk into?
blink.gif

Come on Andy. This is some funny $h!t. happy11.gif hitfan[1].gif av-943.gif
73-914
Me thinks people have been locked in their houses way too long
rhodyguy
QUOTE(pcdarks @ Mar 29 2021, 01:05 PM) *

Interesting to see I'm not the only one to get frustrated at responses. When I ask if a seal will fit my 901 I would hear about someone's cat barfing in the living room or the seals may be endangered. I've come to realize a lot of 914 owners have moderate to severe ADD. Or are just trying to keep their post average up. LOL.

Cats? dry.gif Barf? blink.gif Seals? dry.gif ADD? WTF.gif What? Where? There's always The Bird when 914world doesn't strike your fancy. Get a Haynes....
mb911
idea.gif
brant
a slow car wreck....

all of these threads are opinions...
everyone does certain things in different ways
and you don't have to post... don't have to ask questions... if you don't want an answer

Shivers
Barfing cats. lol, it's nice to be home.
bretth
Geese people being triggered by so many things out there but now over engine choices? jester.gif
rjames
QUOTE(bretth @ Mar 30 2021, 11:31 AM) *

Geese people being triggered by so many things out there but now over engine choices? jester.gif

Geese?
Click to view attachment

bretth
Now I am triggered by that Goose with its judgemental stare.
Chris914n6
You want to put 1950s GM engine tech into a Porsche? Are you duck?

IPB Image

lol-2.gif

This thread has flown the coop
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.