Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Proper routing of speedometer cable?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
adolimpio
Does anyone have a picture of the proper routing of the speedometer cable under the engine?
cary
Don't know what's proper. But I put it thru the hole in the bar with the provided rubber sleeve. EDIT : Too tired from floor pan blasting yesterday. Follow Brock's info. I too use a cable clamp to take up slack. Time for coffee #2.

You don't really want anything hanging down if you can get away with it.
Matt @914Rubber had his right e-brake cable ripped off/out on one of his excursions.
bbrock
QUOTE(cary @ Mar 28 2021, 07:53 AM) *

Don't know what's proper. But I put it thru the hole in the bar with the provided rubber sleeve.
You don't really want anything hanging down if you can get away with it.
Matt @914Rubber had his right e-brake cable ripped off/out on one of his excursions.

Isn't the hole in the engine bar for the clutch cable? That's the only cable I have with a rubber sleeve in that location. I routed the speedo cable over the top of the bar and zip-tied it to the clutch cable about mid-way between the engine bar and speedometer angle drive to keep it up as high as possible. Don't know what the factory did.
bdstone914
QUOTE(adolimpio @ Mar 28 2021, 06:39 AM) *

Does anyone have a picture of the proper routing of the speedometer cable under the engine?

I have found that if you route it over the axle and use a loop clamp to attach the cable to the 12 o'clock position stud on the trans that it takes up the slack and keeps it away from the heat exchangers.

@adolimpio
cary
Yes and yes.
Too tired from floorpan blasting yesterday.
barefoot
Try this :

Click to view attachment
adolimpio
What is shown in the picture is the direction I was headed. You really need the tie wraps to make it neat and I assumed that they were not used originally so I thought there must be a different route.

Thanks to all for your help!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.