Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Retrieval Expedition/Extration!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottthephotog
Today was on a retrieval expedition/extraction with my wife Katie, @ClayPerrine , and @Betty! Katie has wanted a 914 of her own, so with the help of Clay and Betty, we extracted this Delphi metallic green 1973 914 2.0. The paint is in beautiful condition and well protected by a decade of dust! It was last registered in 2008. Lots of boxes of parts. It will definitely take quite a bit of work to get it back up and going again, but maybe it will be ready for our PCA year end event, Founder's Day 2021!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
scottthephotog
And she's already off on her first drive. It's a big engine. A whopping 3 man power.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
scottthephotog
Even though there's a lot of work to be done, some of the hard stuff has already been taken care of.

Click to view attachment

Man, it may be dirty, but it already looks so good. First job will be a wash.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Jamie
QUOTE(scottthephotog @ Mar 28 2021, 04:34 PM) *

Even though there's a lot of work to be done, some of the hard stuff has already been taken care of.

Click to view attachment

Man, it may be dirty, but it already looks so good. First job will be a wash.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Outstanding color that L99A, and appears to be original paint on the longs as much as we can see. Rear bumper has 74 tits, is the year accurate?
racerbvd
beerchug.gif
Congratulations beerchug.gif
Is that a real Sarasota top I spy??
Literati914
Congratulations Katie !!! .. and such a great color too. Let me know if you guys need any help or if I may have something you need for it - I have a later back window you can have if yours is missing.

Nice Dash btw!

DRPHIL914
congratulations!! beerchug.gif
great color too!! it’s always a great day to see a 914 being brought out of hiding and on its way back to the street!
ClayPerrine
The year is correct.. it's a very early October 72 build date 73 with Delphi Green Metallic paint. The rear bumper and decklid were replaced at some time.

If Scott and Katie had not bought it, I would have. It is going to be a really nice car when it is done.

Clay
Cairo94507
Congratulations on a great score. That looks like a car in darn good condition. Katie is going to love driving around in that when it is all together. beerchug.gif
Shivers
Awesome score
bretth
Nice. Looks pretty clean rust wise.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Mar 28 2021, 07:50 PM) *

beerchug.gif

Yes, that is a real Saratoga top....

Clay
Jamie
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 29 2021, 07:03 AM) *

beerchug.gif

Clay

With the Clay and Betty team behind it, this is going to be a very well done restoration.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Jamie @ Mar 29 2021, 10:09 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 29 2021, 07:03 AM) *

beerchug.gif

Clay

With the Clay and Betty team behind it, this is going to be a very well done restoration.

Thanks for the compliment... but Scott is no sloutch with this stuff. I am just going to provide advice on how things go back together. Scott has never taken a 914 apart this far before now.

Clay
CptTripps
Awesome find, and looks to be pretty complete. Congrats!
scottthephotog
Yes. As Clay said, it is a '73 with a '74 rear bumper. I've got a spare '73 bumper that will be going on when we get to the final stages. Build date is October of 72, engine code is GA000281, so definitely pretty early.

Yes, a real Saratoga top. I'm not quite sure why you'd want one in Texas though. It would make the car an oven inside.

I haven't gone under the car yet, but it is supposedly "rust free". Based on what I've seen so far, I think that is true. Some rust fixes were done about 10 years ago and seem to be done well and covered with primer to keep the metal clean. I'll have to find a good paint shop that can touch up the areas that need it and paint the repaired sections.

The drive train will be straight forward as I've done that before. Same with the big interior pieces. The billion chrome trim pieces will be a puzzle for sure.

There's lots of boxes and a massive wooden chest to dig through and organize. It looks like most of the parts are there, and what is missing shouldn't be too terrible to locate.
mbseto
Those wrapped up stub axles make it look like the little guy was "fixed" by a back-alley veterinarian. A least it will be safe to keep in the garage next to your other one.
914Sixer
Sweet, another Texas car
popcorn[1].gif
mb911
Can't wait to see it washed off. Very cool
wonkipop
thats a real nice car.

the first 914 i ever saw a lot of in melb aus (from early 80s on) was exactly the same.
73, 2.0 in that metallic green. beautiful.

scottthephotog
QUOTE(mbseto @ Mar 29 2021, 03:21 PM) *

Those wrapped up stub axles make it look like the little guy was "fixed" by a back-alley veterinarian. A least it will be safe to keep in the garage next to your other one.

At least they were wrapped up! Better that then letting tons of dirt and junk get on it.

I started to dig through some of the smaller boxes and found some neat stuff.

A pristine original manual. Not a mark on it. No pages bent or dogeared. It's in perfect condition. There was also a large brochure with tons of beautiful photos, Car and Driver magazine with some great articles and a white folder that said Porsche with documents and emails from a previous previous previous previous owner including a COA!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Then I found a box with cool bits.

Some new in packaging Hella turn lenses dated from 1996.

Click to view attachment

A battery cover! (I think, correct me if I'm wrong)

Click to view attachment

And a European license plate with "HER" on it. How fitting since it will be my wife's car!

Click to view attachment
scottthephotog
I decided to also dig into the giant chest that the engine and transmission were sitting on in the storage room. This chest was from the previous previous owner and I think the guy I bought it from never opened it since the drive train was sitting on it.

All I could say was wow when I opened it.

Click to view attachment

Tons of spare parts, new rotors, 3 new oil filters, rear light lenses, seat belts, spare distributor, new brake lines, gauges, lights, and more.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And brakes. Lots of brakes.

Click to view attachment

Plus these bad boys:

Click to view attachment

And there are still more boxes to go through!
mb911
Looks like an S caliper in that box.
aharder
Congrats !!!

Looks like Christmas opening all of the new gifts !!!
FlacaProductions
What a GREAT find - care to share a little about how you came about finding it or does Clay have every thing 914-ish under surveillance in that corner of the world...?!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Mar 30 2021, 10:28 AM) *

What a GREAT find - care to share a little about how you came about finding it or does Clay have every thing 914-ish under surveillance in that corner of the world...?!

I found it looking for a donor chassis to fix Betty's car. This was too nice to cut up.

I really don't need another 914... no garage space. So I passed it along.

Clay
Root_Werks
What a great find! Would love to see how it washes up as well.
wes
Amazing find you must be in some kind of heaven.
ClayPerrine
@scottthephotog You told me you cleaned it up, and I KNOW you have a digital camera. So post some pictures of it now that it is clean!

Clay
rick 918-S
The COA states the color is Saturn...
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 1 2021, 07:11 AM) *

The COA is wrong. I looked at the Karmann plate in the door jam. It is definitely L99A and definitely Delphi Green.

I have 3 COAs for our factory six. All three have different info in them.

Clay
Jamie
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 1 2021, 06:59 AM) *

The COA is wrong. I looked at the Karmann plate in the door jam. It is definitely L99A and definitely Delphi Green.

I have 3 COAs for our factory six. All three have different info in them.

Clay

The label on my can of German Standox paint calls it Saturn Gelb. At least the COA got the Saturn part of the name right! bs.gif
scottthephotog
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 1 2021, 06:53 AM) *

@scottthephotog You told me you cleaned it up, and I KNOW you have a digital camera. So post some pictures of it now that it is clean!

Clay

Haha. I'm going to do another clean and polish tomorrow or on the weekend and then I'll post more photos!

I posted about this car on the Porsche 914 Facebook Group. Interestingly two or three people there said that Saturn Chrome Yellow was VW's name for Delphi Metallic Green. Whether that is true or not, who knows. As Clay said, it does seem like the COAs have mistakes. The door jam has the correct code for Delphi Metallic Green (L99A).
scottthephotog
In the meantime, I picked up the missing engine lid with Clay this afternoon. I told Katie that I was going to do that, but didn't mention that I picked up a second one as well. I'm going to play a little April Fools joke on her. Green is green, right?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

rick 918-S
that cleaned up nicely! I think it could be the German Saturn Gelb that just did not get printed out completely on the COA. Love that color.
Puebloswatcop
Now that is a sweet find. Have fun with the build
CoronaMike

[/quote]
The label on my can of German Standox paint calls it Saturn Gelb. At least the COA got the Saturn part of the name right! bs.gif
[/quote]

@Jamie - well, Saturn in German is still "Saturn" and Gelb = yellow...so - sounds legit to me. wink.gif
r_towle
That is very exciting for Katie, and I am jealous you have her joining you in the 914 world.
My wife still calls mine the red one.
MM1
smilie_pokal.gif Congrats! Waiting for extensive "clean" pics from the photog . . .
ClayPerrine
Got yourself a real nice POSCHE there, don't ya.

I hope you hid the real engine lid before you showed her that one.....

Clay
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 29 2021, 10:50 PM) *

Looks like an S caliper in that box.

Do I see a 914-6 rear caliper?
wonkipop
always been a 73 color brochure tucked inside my 74 handbook folder since i've had it.
not sure how it got there -- original owners were thinking about a 14 in 73?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

or
https://www.colors.rs/colorsearch?tag=xjzBO...p;searchtype=rs

one of the best colors a 14 ever came in.
looks amazing in southern hemisphere light.
texas is a version of the same sunlight.
Jamie
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Apr 2 2021, 05:32 PM) *

always been a 73 color brochure tucked inside my 74 handbook folder since i've had it.
not sure how it got there -- original owners were thinking about a 14 in 73?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

or
https://www.colors.rs/colorsearch?tag=xjzBO...p;searchtype=rs

one of the best colors a 14 ever came in.
looks amazing in southern hemisphere light.
texas is a version of the same sunlight.

The Delphi Green Metallic on my 73 was a $206 custom color option on the window sticker.
wonkipop
the link says the name for the color saturn yellow metallic in the USA was sometimes delphi green metallic.

saturn yellow metallic is karmann L99A.
you could also get it on beetles and karmann ghias (but not other VW models) as a special order. i know i have seen a karmann ghia here in the same fabulous color.
and i swear i have seen an early 924 in australia that was in the color too.

custom color must be usa speak for special order?
standard colors (no extra cost) are on left of sheet.
special order colors (on right) at extra charge.

vw also did a name change with another of the metallic colors for 412s.
it was also called a saturn something or other blue metallic in most markets or something like that.
the other saturn color was tagged with a classical greek name for the USA market.
i can't remember exactly the greek word, hydra or something like that.
"delphi" was a city or place in ancient greece.
must have been either a marketing prejudice in america against using the word "saturn"?
or could have been a legal thing with another car manufacturer already using that name or something like that?
they might have started in 73 in the usa calling it by its european name and then had to change it along the way in 73 and through into 74. there is some reason.

its a beautifully ambiguous color - at least down here. which is why i say australian light.
at times it can look like it is very golden or yellow. at other times it is green as all green.

i possess this b s knowledge because about 25 years ago i tried to have some of these vw colors reproduced for interior paint colors on doors and things for houses i was doing.
its terrible the way this rubbish can resurface in your brain after all these years. i did succeed in making a version of this green color. the woman who mixed all the paints for me referred to it as "chartreuse". which is true. that is the real/pure name for this color. beerchug.gif
Jamie
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Apr 2 2021, 07:16 PM) *

the link says the name for the color saturn yellow metallic in the USA was sometimes delphi green metallic.

saturn yellow metallic is karmann L99A.
you could also get it on beetles and karmann ghias (but not other VW models) as a special order. i know i have seen a karmann ghia here in the same fabulous color.
and i swear i have seen an early 924 in australia that was in the color too.

custom color must be usa speak for special order?
standard colors (no extra cost) are on left of sheet.
special order colors (on right) at extra charge.

vw also did a name change with another of the metallic colors for 412s.
it was also called a saturn something or other blue metallic in most markets or something like that.
the other saturn color was tagged with a classical greek name for the USA market.
i can't remember exactly the greek word, hydra or something like that.
"delphi" was a city or place in ancient greece.
must have been either a marketing prejudice in america against using the word "saturn"?
or could have been a legal thing with another car manufacturer already using that name or something like that?
they might have started in 73 in the usa calling it by its european name and then had to change it along the way in 73 and through into 74. there is some reason.

its a beautifully ambiguous color - at least down here. which is why i say australian light.
at times it can look like it is very golden or yellow. at other times it is green as all green.

i possess this b s knowledge because about 25 years ago i tried to have some of these vw colors reproduced for interior paint colors on doors and things for houses i was doing.
its terrible the way this rubbish can resurface in your brain after all these years. i did succeed in making a version of this green color. the woman who mixed all the paints for me referred to it as "chartreuse". which is true. that is the real/pure name for this color. beerchug.gif

When Dad showed up with the L99A 914 that he bought without Mom's advance knowledge, her name for the color was "urine yellow!" av-943.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Jamie @ Apr 3 2021, 10:13 AM) *

When Dad showed up with the L99A 914 that he bought without Mom's advance knowledge, her name for the color was "urine yellow!" av-943.gif

Are you saying he "Pissed her off?"

av-943.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 3 2021, 04:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Jamie @ Apr 3 2021, 10:13 AM) *

Are you saying he "Pissed her off?"

av-943.gif

healthy urine is straw coloured.
but the mum was on the money.

might explain why they had to give it a new name in merica? smile.gif
"nah its green mum, not xxxxxxx yellow."
RolinkHaus
Nice catch, can't wait to see pics. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.