Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emergency brake cable rubber boots
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
Are these supposed to stretch over the end of the cable that attaches to the caliper?
Have lightly greased the cable end clevis but am afraid to stretch the boots too far that the boots will split.
Any helpful suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
EJP914
914Sixer
I have had no luck with URO or 914 Rubber boots either.
raynekat
QUOTE(EJP914 @ Mar 29 2021, 06:26 AM) *

Are these supposed to stretch over the end of the cable that attaches to the caliper?
Have lightly greased the cable end clevis but am afraid to stretch the boots too far that the boots will split.
Any helpful suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
EJP914

Yes, they are supposed to stretch over the end of the cable.
I used silicon spray at the time.
Still is likely that the boots will split upon installation.
Not the greatest of designs but that is all we have.
adolimpio
I just installed boots from 914Rubber on both ends. It was not easy, but the rubber withstood some extreme stretching without a problem. I did lube them with o-ring silicone grease, which was a big help.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them.
cary
I use these, plus lots of lube. Reverse pliers. Stretch the boot open then pull cable end thru the boot opening.
EDIT : It's actually, push the opened boot over the cable end. I do rip a few. Usually from trying to go too fast.

Click to view attachment
EJP914
Thanks for the advice. I figured it was a lube it up and stretch them open kind of installation but didn't want to try it and split the boots. Will give it a try.
EJP914
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.